Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2005, 09:52   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
That is mind-boggling! Where did you get this news? Any online articles that we can read?

GTO
GTO, the news is not official. As I said it is from FIAT insider and can be trusted. All the mgmt will be now controlled by Hinduja's. They are likely to make announcement by coming Friday.

By 2006 they will be shifting completely to new Ranjangao factory and will be closing down Kurla factory.

I was going through this discussion silently but now decided to settle the dust.......

I hope its now clear to all - FIAT is here to stay.....
Old 5th April 2005, 09:59   #77
Team-BHP Support

Thought to myself: Is Sunil part of Fiat India trying to get the enthusiasts here to keep the faith

Man, I would love to see Fiat bounce back with a vengence. They have some of the best small cars in the world, and a renewed focus on India could see some of them coming into India! Woohoo!
Old 5th April 2005, 10:06   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Thought to myself: Is Sunil part of Fiat India trying to get the enthusiasts here to keep the faith
Hmmm. Thats a nice thought. But it is a long time coming.
Old 5th April 2005, 10:25   #79
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Well, in that case I am afraid but we will have to take it with a pinch of salt. There is a possibility but I wouldnt advice anyone to get carried away until something concrete is formed or reported.

That said, the Ashok Leyland and ICICI group intervention will certainly be a value addition IF and WHEN

GTO
Old 5th April 2005, 10:30   #80
BHPian

Hey Sunil, thats the best news I can start my day on along with Sehwag hitting Pakistan out of the stadium in Vizag ..

Now lets wait for the official announcements..
Old 5th April 2005, 11:42   #81
Senior - BHPian

If this is true, then we can look forward to some good competition in the market - we the customers will be the ultimate winners in that case as it would mean that the established players will start giving us more models too!

I dont believe for a moment that they're going to turn things topsy turvy, but it should shake things up a bit and make it a lot more interesting.

Subbu leaving Hyundai ? In India, Subbu is Hyundai - cant imagine him anywhere else........
Old 5th April 2005, 11:53   #82
Senior - BHPian

Suni
You made my day. Will be eagerly waiting for the big day for Fiat.
Old 5th April 2005, 12:16   #83
DRC
BHPian

I know Fiat does not sell in US, Does any one know why...
If they have ignored US market no doubt they may also ignore India and china..
Old 5th April 2005, 12:28   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC
Because they dont make 6 litre engines that are attached to 12 foot long cars designed to take in 18-stone human beings, and dont put in enough cup-holders to support a 24-hour junk food diet...
Old 5th April 2005, 14:03   #85
BHPian

Great News sunil !!!

I would desperately love to buy the petra, but only if fiat will let me.
I'm not too keen on buying a car and then burning my brain worrying about what the management is upto.

It's a bit like watching Ganguly bat at the moment, you know he is capable of great things , but you can't help getting this knot deep in your stomach, this feeling of impending doom.

I sure hope to god that this one marks a turnaround for fiat ........
Old 5th April 2005, 14:10   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC
Fiat was selling Alfas in US some 10 years ago. They are planning to make a comeback with Alfa brand sometime in 2007.
Old 5th April 2005, 15:10   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoops
reading most of the posts here gives me the impression that most of you are happy to see FIAT is going!!
I get that niggling feeling too...not across the board and blatant....but its there, lurking under the surface, if you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
IMHO:

Petrol - Yes, if you compare it to the 1.6 but then the two cars appeal to two different sets of people.

Diesel - No way, the Indigo D is more refined, better sorted out and has a similar power (Bhp & Torque) output.
Would have to disagree a wee bit there. The Indigo D is definitely more refined NVH wise, but is not half as well-put as the Palio D. Also i found the Palio much more powerful. But then, I have only test driven these cars, so I might be wrong too. But this was my first impression. Inspite of the "refinement" in the Indigo, I feel the Palio will be, by far, more pleasurable to drive.

Quote:
However, the history you have quoted is quite relevant. They're out of most of South East Asia (Malaysia is not a good market for anyone except Proton and Perodua), they're struggling in South Africa, losing share in Latin America and worse yet, they're losing market share at home in Italy.
I do not have exact figures, but based on what I have seen over a period of time, Malaysia is a reasonably good market for a lot of people apart from Proton and Pero dua. Hyundai is doing ok. So is KIA (now its Naza Kia).honda, toyota, bmw, mercedes, volvo do well consistently. Mazda and Nissan have again come back agressively to Malaysia with their X-Trail and Mazda 6 respectively.
Fiat does not do as well as them, but they are definitely doing way better than they are in India, in that there is not major ASS issue or reputation problem as such. Their Puntos and Multiplas are picking up in sales. Also Alfa Romeo has gone into overdrive with an agressive marketing campaign.

Perodua is primarily for people on a low budget and going in for their first car. Proton is a wee-bit like Maruti with the only really exciting new product being the Gen-2 in a really long time. Their flagship Perdana is a wonderful car, though its starting to really age.

Quote:
Because they dont make 6 litre engines that are attached to 12 foot long cars designed to take in 18-stone human beings, and dont put in enough cup-holders to support a 24-hour junk food diet...
excellent point. couldn't agree with you more !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
Spoke to Anuroop yesterday. They said that Fiat is palnning to relaunch the Adventure at lower prices. Let's see.
Yeps....they had put up a red Adventure at the Mumbai Motor show. thats when I made my enquiries. Later I confirmed the same twice with Sunil Jomraj of Anuroop. The Adventure is supposed to be "re-launched'" around April end at around 6.5 lakhs, "fully loaded".

Last edited by hell_rider : 5th April 2005 at 15:19.
Old 5th April 2005, 15:26   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemlock
Great News sunil !!!

I would desperately love to buy the petra, but only if fiat will let me.
I'm not too keen on buying a car and then burning my brain worrying about what the management is upto.
If ur not in a hurry, would advice u for wait & watch for couple of weeks once the Ashoka Leyland, ICICI merger is over. After that they r in to revamping the dealer network which will make our life easier.
Old 5th April 2005, 15:36   #89
BHPian

I cannot help but observe that by strange conincidences Fiat is having similar set of problems as Puegot had a few years ago. Both these companies had relationships with the Doshis of Premier. Could that have anything to do with it????

Globally, Fiat is not doing well. GM was lucky to buy out their 'put' options for US $2 Bn.

It may be interesting to find out if ICICI Ventures had lent Fiat India some substantial cash. In such case they would have no option but to convert it to equity (I am only guessing)...

One thing is certain that Fiat India has no clue on what Marketing and BD is all about.

Hate to see them die though...........
Old 5th April 2005, 16:05   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_rider
Yeps....they had put up a red Adventure at the Mumbai Motor show. thats when I made my enquiries. Later I confirmed the same twice with Sunil Jomraj of Anuroop. The Adventure is supposed to be "re-launched'" around April end at around 6.5 lakhs, "fully loaded".
Thats cool..is it with the new Palio look or the existing one? Hope they have a good choice of colours and let the customer choose their own car audio.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks