Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2009, 22:32   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I went to the new Scorpio launch in new delhi. I was told that there is no 4X4 option on the 2.2 mHawk. The 4X4 version only comes with the 2.6 CRDe
The specs on the website & brochure both show 4WD as an option on all versions of the Scorpio with mHawk engine.
Old 9th March 2009, 22:42   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
One point, from a pure offroader POV, a LSD does make a difference in a number of off-road situations. LSD with 4wd [safari] is much more potent than just 4wd [scorpio].
Neither Safari 4WD no Scorpio 4WD can be considered a pure Off Road Vehicles. I agree that LSD has it's benefits. Given that Mahinda and Tata use the similar Dana 44 rear axles, an LSD can be added to the Scorpio for about 15,000 Rs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3LIOS View Post
The specs on the website & brochure both show 4WD as an option on all versions of the Scorpio with mHawk engine.
Mahindra has never made it easy to get a Scorpio 4WD since it has to be special ordered and the price are never listed on the website. I think the wait is many weeks if not months. Hence most people don't even bother with it and the general perception that 4WD Scorpio is unavailable. Tata atleast makes it easier to order the 4WD version since they quote the prices and the wait is much shorter.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 9th March 2009 at 22:49.
Old 9th March 2009, 22:50   #138
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Neither Safari 4WD no Scorpio 4WD can be considered a pure Off Road Vehicles. I agree that LSD has it's benefits. Given that Mahinda and Tata use the similar Dana 44 rear axles, an LSD can be added to the Scorpio for about 15,000 Rs.

aare, of course and definitely, I was not talking of Safari or Scorpio as a "pure offroader". Safari or Scorpio 4wd when brought as a vehicle is when someone wants a cruiser that can also do some decent offroad.

LSD can also be fitted in the 2wd Safari axle housing but practicability isnt there right now - from loss of warranty to the absolute non-interest of the service people to take up this job if I procure the parts from outside - I was pretty close to installing one. If you could put it up and find a good worksman do let me know, I am ever ready to put the LSD in the Safari LX too.

Whatever, I am not absolutely saying to influence your decision - only we agree that a LSD does make the difference. The Scorpio 2.2 4wd with ABS does make so much sense even without LSD.

Last edited by adc : 9th March 2009 at 23:00.
Old 10th March 2009, 01:13   #139
BHPian

I just wanted to know that is there any chance of the Tata's updating their safari anytime in near future? is the new-gen safari in the offing at all? because this vehicle really interests me sometimes but then again, its more than a decade old. if anyone has info on this, please share it.
Old 10th March 2009, 09:34   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree that LSD has it's benefits. Given that Mahinda and Tata use the similar Dana 44 rear axles, an LSD can be added to the Scorpio for about 15,000 Rs.
I could be wrong but I don't think it is as simple as you have stated.

Having said that, the GX pricing makes no sense to me. I think they had to price it above the Xenon & that's where it got messed up. And they didn't expect the Scorpio price reduction to be so steep.
Old 10th March 2009, 10:40   #141
Team-BHP Support

You can't just add LSD just like that. I believe even the propeller shaft hookup is slightly different. Its a big job because there is no outside expertise available.
adc, if you are really really serious, talk to the customer service head of your area, explain him your need, and ask him to arrange an audience with dana/TML engineers.
Going through local service center is useless, because they may not even know that oil for LSD is different from oil in non LSD.
Old 10th March 2009, 11:00   #142
BHPian

I understand that the dual tone colour scheme is available only on GX variants.

BUT is the GX variant available in normal single colour as well?
Old 10th March 2009, 11:24   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Its good move by TATA to launch GX to push the sales.

Website is always excellant but I would like to know If they improved the quality?

If I am buying Safari I prefer taking my doctor and astrolger to choose the vehicle from stock yard to be on safer side. I hope soon I get confidence.

Ravi.
Taking the astrologer to the stockyard is a good idea. You may need the doctor later to cure your high BP and stress.
Doctor and astrologer aside you dont know what you're actually missing.
Its the coroner...

Honestly, Bhatji, the safari aint as bad as you make it sound.
Old 10th March 2009, 12:19   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
BUT is the GX variant available in normal single colour as well?
No, the dual tone scheme is one of the characteristics of the GX so it wouldn't be available in single color.
Old 10th March 2009, 12:26   #145
BHPian

As things stand today, M&M is getting my money - and only because M&M is giving a ABS variant (SLE) at almost 1.7 lac lesser than TML (GX).

Despite its positioning as an "expression of freedom" vehicle for a young-smart-executive-businessman-stuck-in-job, its quite dumb of TML to assume that such customer will not want ABS. People in this target group are educated, most have travelled abroad, are very much aware of the benefits of ABS and hence will not happily part with ~10L for a vehicle with this feature missing. Esp now that he/she has a choice, and a cheaper one at that.

Yes, Safari has the magic, I almost bought one (without the ABS). And have been waiting for the slowdown to be past before booking one.

Now, however M&M has changed the game. Now am very inclined towards mHawk SLE.
I can live with its ugliness and small windows, cluttered bodylines, wierd shallow dash, ok enough. But the GX has a horrible 2-color job....so looks wise both are level.
But, high command needs a TD before she agrees, since the VLX we tested earlier gave her motion sickness. I hope they have improved the ride in this new version.
Otherwise, I dont know, maybe still buy M&M and then spend some more on the suspension.

cheers
lazy
Old 10th March 2009, 16:27   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
ORVM mounted indicators that will be the first casualty on our manic roads. If I'm putting in 12 lakhs, I might as well get full leather and airbags from the VX at about 90k more.

Senseless positioning. Another variant that wont sell.
totally agree, i drive mostly in city and every other day the ORVM (mostly the left one) rubs off with other vehicles. I doubt the indicators on the ORVMs will be strong enough to take this beating which otherwise are quite rigid. A OVRM with broken indicator looks sick.

Last edited by chaxy : 10th March 2009 at 16:28.
Old 10th March 2009, 16:51   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I could be wrong but I don't think it is as simple as you have stated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
You can't just add LSD just like that. I believe even the propeller shaft hookup is slightly different. Its a big job because there is no outside expertise available.
adc, if you are really really serious, talk to the customer service head of your area, explain him your need, and ask him to arrange an audience with dana/TML engineers.
Going through local service center is useless, because they may not even know that oil for LSD is different from oil in non LSD.
Arka and a few others have installed on their MM540s with Dana 44 axles. I just picked up one for my MM540 and it cost about $250. If the rear axles of the Tata Safari is same as the 207 then they should be Dana 44 axles. Adding an LSD is a straight forward job but does require some experience and I wouldn't do it at TASS unless you know a very smart mechanic. In fact the LSD on the Tata series vehicles are only for light duty applications and will cut off about a certain RPM. You can get much sturdier after market units. Many of the Tata club Italy guys have added better after market LSDs to their Safaris and Telcolines.
Old 10th March 2009, 16:58   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Arka and a few others have installed on their MM540s with Dana 44 axles. I just picked up one for my MM540 and it cost about $250. If the rear axles of the Tata Safari is same as the 207 then they should be Dana 44 axles. Adding an LSD is a straight forward job but does require some experience and I wouldn't do it at TASS unless you know a very smart mechanic. In fact the LSD on the Tata series vehicles are only for light duty applications and will cut off about a certain RPM. You can get much sturdier after market units. Many of the Tata club Italy guys have added better after market LSDs to their Safaris and Telcolines.
I thought your suggestion was about adding LSD to the Scorpio 4x4 & not the Safari 4x4 since the Safari 4x4 has LSD anyway?

The question is - can M&M workshops do it? I don't think so.
Old 10th March 2009, 19:06   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I thought your suggestion was about adding LSD to the Scorpio 4x4 & not the Safari 4x4 since the Safari 4x4 has LSD anyway?

The question is - can M&M workshops do it? I don't think so.
My point is that Dana 44 axles are the same. If you can add one in an MM540 you can add one in a Scorpio. M&M workshops won't probably won't do it,but I know some one who can..
Old 11th March 2009, 17:38   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyamtanu View Post
Anand,

I am in the same boat as you... considering same models, do keep us posted.

Thanks
Will definitely keep you updated. Will wait for a few more days tho, before I make the decision. the heart keeps saying safari, and the head-Innova, and now is also begging to take a look at the scorpio with its reduced pricing!!

Most Viewed