Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2005, 21:29   #1
Senior - BHPian

new honda city vtec!!!

hey guys, check this out- the guys at honda are racking their brains again. the new honda city with the i-dsi (intelligent dual and sequential ignition) didn't do as well as expected, and haven't been garnering as much sales, what with the oddball too-radical looks; and while we're on that, why isn't there a temperature gauge??? i mean, even a honda badge doesn't mean that the engine will always operate at the optimum temp. , does it? or is it that they didn't deem it necessary?

all that's set to change, with the new honda city vtec hitting the showrooms late this year. a call to the showroom revealed that honda doesn't want us to speculate, and is keeping the details about the launch mum.

nevertheless, a sneek peek has been given to us by our beloved auto mags, and initial impressions indicate that the new vtec will sport all features missing in the current version (like the temp. gauge ). specs include rear disc brakes (you read it right!!), a first in the sub 10 lac category;also, honda quotes power figures of 108 bhp, accln. of 0-100 in about 10 sec., and top end whack in excess of 190 kmph.
which means it'll outperform the old vtec on all counts- acceleration, top speed, braking, driveability and comfort.
so, here's looking forward to the great things to come. (b.t.w, this particular thing will hit the roads by august-sep, most probably- this is top secret info, and i could be killed for revealing this; but hey, anything for my fellow bhpians )
Old 30th March 2005, 21:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

I ain't expecting much from the new Vtec but, i really hope it proves me wrong and performs far better than expected, which i doubt will happen.

I guess only time will tell.

BTW, the 108 bhp is in other asian countries, that car maynot produce more than 102 bhp in India, probably even less. The old Vtec in those countries, produces 115-120bhp.

Can't wait for it to come though. It'll be interesting to run it against the old Vtec.

Shan2nu
Old 30th March 2005, 21:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yeah,read about in in yesterdays Times.They are claiming the car to have 108 horses under its belt.They will be no changes in the exterior or interior styling,except for a few things like the ABS etc.So this happens to be more powerful than the Old Vtec.Lets see if it can carry forward the Vtec line sucessfully.

X
Old 30th March 2005, 21:46   #4
BHPian

He he if the NHC VTEC were to be really good, I for one would buy one and take out the VTEC badging. Make it look like a regular NHC. Boy oh boy what fun i could have fooling people to think its a regular city and then smoking them at leisure!!!

Well thatz too much to expect. Only a road test can tell. I still dont like the looks of the NHC whether it has got VTEC or not :(
Old 30th March 2005, 21:59   #5
BHPian

I second harrie on that
the old look new engine would be a kill
but then veyron dont you have news on how it would look dude
im surely interested in that

keep it posted

cheers
Old 30th March 2005, 22:09   #6
BHPian

Maybe a change of heart for the old VTEC if possible? that is if the new engine is really rocking and its possible to lay hands on a totalled NHC VTEC.

Should be interesting. But lets wait and watch. Hey any idea about how it would be priced?

I dont think much could be done to actually make the NHC look better. Just a observation - the NHC in dark metallic colors or white looks better than the ones with a light shades. Any one observed the same?

Luv the way the rear seats fold up. that is really a thoughtful option... hope they bring it to india.

Last edited by Harrie : 30th March 2005 at 22:13.
Old 30th March 2005, 22:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

It would look like this.

For more pics and reviews, click here!!

They've given it the old Vtec rear spoiler which is a real spoiler in this case. Spoiling it's looks (even furthur).

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 30th March 2005 at 22:11.
Old 30th March 2005, 22:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

the VTEC is back again!!! can't wait to get the review of this one
Old 30th March 2005, 22:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

hi dudes,
the pricing for the new vtec will be somewhere in the region of 8.0-8.5 lac rs (ex-showroom), which means that it will undercut the old vtec's price by a significant margin!!
i agree with shan2nu on the looks; it still looks like a pigeon's face, rammed into a ford f140's windshield. and oh yes, the spoiler does spoil the party, but we'll also get integrated auxilliary spot lamps/fog lamps with the new vtec!
and yes, the vtec will be slightly detuned for India, but i doubt that the power will go below 104-105 bhp, what with the new euro compliant fuels being manadatory and all....
and yeah, the old shape would have been great, but the new one cossets you at speeds that the old would have us squirming in, so, i guess you win some, you lose some...
and besides, the new is more comfy...
also, the new vtec will be safer, and more roomy than the old vtec, with just about the same aerodynamics- (the coefficient of drag is speculated to be the same or even lesser than the old)
Old 30th March 2005, 22:53   #10
Team-BHP Support

My wife just commented that it looks like frog...
Old 31st March 2005, 01:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My wife just commented that it looks like frog...
Comming from an Acura TL, this must look real funny. LOL

But yeah, it's a better overall car than the OHC. If not for the performance, you should buy it for everything else. I think the new Vtec will be good competition for the Baleno and the Old City 1.5.

I wont be surprised if it manages a top speed of over 190kmph, with a drag coefficient of .29 this will cut through air like an arrow.

77bhp - 170kmph
108bhp - you do the math!!!

Shan2nu
Old 31st March 2005, 01:15   #12
BHPian

yes, the article came 30th march times of india as X mentioned. 108 bhp/ABS confirmed. only if the shape could go better
also, i like harrie's idea of removing the v-tec badge & fooling others it being a 77bhp & later smoking out the rest of the competition

Last edited by gamerno1 : 31st March 2005 at 01:16.
Old 31st March 2005, 01:21   #13
BHPian

hey gamer just cant stop that grin on your face right? me too staring at the NHCand wondering how come the honda boffins thought this example would replace the dear old city.

Quote:
But yeah, it's a better overall car than the OHC. If not for the performance, you should buy it for everything else. I think the new Vtec will be good competition for the Baleno and the Old City 1.5.
hey shan defending the OHC Vtec as usual? Cool dude.

Hey gamer the rio design NHC looks better than the stock ones. Maybe an investment in their body kit seems to be the only option left now.
Old 31st March 2005, 01:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hey shan defending the OHC Vtec as usual? Cool dude.
There's nothing to defend. I too want the new Vtec to be better, it's just that this body shell isn't doin justice to the Vtec tag. LOL

All these days, the word Vtec brought just one image to my mind. A Sleek, light, powerful and proportionate looking car.

But now, all i can see is frogs, pigeons and god knows what. Hahaha

Frankly, i'd have preffered the Civic instead of this.

Shan2nu
Old 31st March 2005, 01:35   #15
Senior - BHPian

they should definitly do something about the shapes.it becasue of the new shape that people are drawan away from it.its too tall and jus doesnt look like its in the correct proportion.( no offence intended to nhc owners)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks