Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2010, 15:44   #1396
BHPian

Petrol price may rise in big cities with Euro-IV launch

Petrol price in cities like Delhi and Mumbai may go up by Rs 0.41 per litre and diesel by Rs 0.26 a litre from April one when cleaner Euro-IV grade auto fuel will replace the existing grade in 13 big cities, Oil Secretary S Sundareshan said today.

More Info, check the source: Petrol price may rise in big cities with Euro-IV launch - Yahoo! India News
Old 11th April 2010, 21:49   #1397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
Bad news for Delhi, Diesel price has been increased by approx Rs 2.30 /lt.

Delhi Budget: Diesel, LPG, fancy mobiles turn costlier - NDTV Profit

Seems they left petrol this time.
Any idea how much Diesel is costing in Gurgaon and Noida vis a vis Delhi, I'm seriously thinking of tanking up at these places and also to carry back some in a 20ltr jerrycan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porus View Post
Breaking my silence to post this.

Whenever you fill up fuel, my request:-
Get OUT of the vehicle, as soon as the fuel lid latch is pulled to open.
Next walk to the machine, before the person pulls out the fuel hose from the pump and see the pump reading.
In most cases you will find a figure of Litres and price of previous filling.
ENSURE/CHECK this figure is RESET to ZERO in front of you, DO NOT GET distracted in this moment even if a loud bang happens behind your back ( etc etc )
The hose gets into your fuel tank, once the attendant clicks the pump on auto mode, ask him to release his hand from the hose. = Important
Once you hear the "CLICK" sound and the dispenser stops fuel supply ask him to remove the fuel dispenser from the fuel tank, "WITHOUT ANY TOPPING" no next zero /no addition of fuel whatsoever.
Ensure fuel tank is closed properly and demand a bill.
Pay and say bye bye.
Repeat process everytime you fill in fuel, Once you deviate = less fuel efficiency noticed/ other issues related to fuel will be noticed.
The nozzle has two or three speed settings, does this i.e the fast or slow flow of fuel into the tank, make any change in the exact moment the nozzle cuts off?
Old 21st April 2010, 06:51   #1398
BHPian

After the current Parliament session another round of steep fuel price hike is coming up according to ToI (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Fuel-price-hike-after-House-session/articleshow/5837739.cms).

Quote:
NEW DELHI: An increase in petrol and diesel prices is almost a certainty once dust settles on the Budget session of Parliament. The quantum of increase will depend on whether the government decides to deregulate pricing totally or partially or simply revise pump prices to keep state-run oil retailers in business.

If the pricing regime is deregulated, price of petrol will jump by Rs 6.68 a litre at one go in Delhi and diesel by Rs 5.81. The final street price will be higher due to incremental increase in local taxes. But if deregulation is in phases or the government decides to simply revise prices, the increase may be pared to Rs 3-4 a litre for petrol and Rs 2-3 for diesel.
Old 21st April 2010, 10:13   #1399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
After the current Parliament session another round of steep fuel price hike is coming up according to ToI (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Fuel-price-hike-after-House-session/articleshow/5837739.cms).

Hum , that bad news ! The Government is slowly removing the controlled pricing regime and deregulated price of petrol & diesel. An expected jump of Rs6.68 a litre for petrol and 5.81 diesel in Delhi. I am really scared of the the final street price in states like Karnataka and other states where local taxes are quite steep.

I think people will be forced to move towards Gas based fuel like LPG/CNG as it makes much more economical sense.

With this move I think manufactures will also come up with factory fitted Gas kits/ as option packs.Hope companies listen.
Old 21st April 2010, 10:15   #1400
Senior - BHPian

Will it be better for govt. to de-regularize the fuel price and get rid of the taxes they collect
Old 22nd April 2010, 16:50   #1401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Will it be better for govt. to de-regularize the fuel price and get rid of the taxes they collect
No it wont. Actually, petroleum i think is mostly non-elastic (i.e. non sensitive to price). So more the tax better the money for govt. The tax rates on fuel in India is highest amongst world.

Consider this, a gallon in US comes almost at 3$ - which works out to Rs 35/lit. Govt. cries that subsidy is beating it down,while the tax is what is killling the common man.
Old 22nd April 2010, 16:55   #1402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshA View Post
No it wont. Actually, petroleum i think is mostly non-elastic (i.e. non sensitive to price). So more the tax better the money for govt. The tax rates on fuel in India is highest amongst world.

Consider this, a gallon in US comes almost at 3$ - which works out to Rs 35/lit. Govt. cries that subsidy is beating it down,while the tax is what is killling the common man.
But that is not a real comparison. To know the impact on the common man, list out what all you can buy for the price of a litre of petrol in US and in India, and compare those!
Old 22nd April 2010, 18:01   #1403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
But that is not a real comparison. To know the impact on the common man, list out what all you can buy for the price of a litre of petrol in US and in India, and compare those!

By other items, what are you referring to - like say i can buy a good dosa for 1 lit of petrol here but not there. Well these items are locally made.
My comparison is on those items on which both ( and include host of other countries) are net importers, thereby negating any local effect.

All that i am saying is, crude oil is being purchased at the same price (not very sure, hopefully) and the refinery costs are pretty much teh same everywhere. So I can account for some tax but not so much that it makes 50% difference.
Old 23rd April 2010, 07:07   #1404
Senior - BHPian

@vignesh
What I mean is, the impact of the price shelled out for a litre of fuel is not the same for the common man in both the countries. The price per litre in the US will be < $1 and in India > $1. But what proportion of the average guys income does it represent? For the price of a litre of petrol, you can have a decent meal here! What will the same money buy there? This is but just an example.

So the pious statement of ministers that "the price parity is comparable on dollar terms" does not hold water! The PPP (Purchasing power parity) is not the same.

And for your info, the US can and does control the price of crude. Worst comes, they can print more $$ to fund the imports! And arm twist the OPEC not to deal in any currency other than US $$!

Last edited by Gansan : 23rd April 2010 at 07:10.
Old 23rd April 2010, 15:21   #1405
BHPian

@Gansan.
Sorry - all that i am saying that taxes on Petroleum is high here compared to other countries and need not to be so much. Do you agree?
That said, i am also saying that it was wrong to increase the excise duty further in this year's budget. This has killed the all OMCs, private ones more so.
Old 23rd April 2010, 20:22   #1406
SAS
BHPian

Quote:
@Gansan.
Sorry - all that i am saying that taxes on Petroleum is high here compared to other countries and need not to be so much. Do you agree?
That said, i am also saying that it was wrong to increase the excise duty further in this year's budget. This has killed the all OMCs, private ones more so.
It's true that taxes here are on the higher side as compared to several countries. Why USA, if you look at Venezuela, petrol is available at ridiculously low prices (it's actually subsidized). However India isn't the most expensive place, when you compare petrol prices in certain parts of Europe. there, it goes over Rs. 60 per litre. IMHO what the government really needs to do is gradually reduce the subsidies on kerosene and gradually remove subsidies on LPG and diesel. This way, their subsidies burden shall reduce, and they can probably reduce petrol and diesel taxes marginally.
Old 23rd April 2010, 22:06   #1407
BHPian

I am all for high taxation of petrol in this country - this is one means that all pay taxes in this country and not just the salaried ones.
If the taxes were lowered God forbid what the taxes on your salary are going to be (50% and above) which only the most people on this forum have not choice but to accept.
Old 29th April 2010, 12:51   #1408
BHPian

BS-IV Fuel

Friends, any clue on BS-IV fuel. I would like to know the fuel stations who have BS-IV fuel in NCR. I have recently enquired 5 -7 fuel stations from IOC, HPCL and BP, none of them have BS-IV petrol and also dont have any clue, by when they will be able to provide.
Old 29th April 2010, 14:15   #1409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbareilly View Post
Friends, any clue on BS-IV fuel. I would like to know the fuel stations who have BS-IV fuel in NCR. I have recently enquired 5 -7 fuel stations from IOC, HPCL and BP, none of them have BS-IV petrol and also dont have any clue, by when they will be able to provide.
Lately, I found IO COCO pump near nizammuddin to be one. They have big hoarding shouting the same.
Old 30th April 2010, 03:29   #1410
BHPian

Indian Pricing League !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS View Post
IMHO what the government really needs to do is gradually reduce the subsidies on kerosene and gradually remove subsidies on LPG and diesel. This way, their subsidies burden shall reduce, and they can probably reduce petrol and diesel taxes marginally.
Quote:
@Gansan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
I am all for high taxation of petrol in this country - this is one means that all pay taxes in this country and not just the salaried ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
So the pious statement of ministers that "the price parity is comparable on dollar terms" does not hold water! And for your info, the US can and does control the price of crude.
Quote:
All that i am saying is, crude oil is being purchased at the same price (not very sure, hopefully) and the refinery costs are pretty much teh same everywhere.
Quote:
The tax rates on fuel in India is highest amongst world.
Well, please read these links for answers:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1857302

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks