Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2021, 13:49   #6976
BHPian

Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
That's true for both cases, innit? Unless you can show data that there was 0 progress on the ground in one case.
Do you have an exhaustive list of work done on the ground in either case with a way to compare them?
I didn't want this to be a political slugfest, but you leave me no choice. Ok, let me make the claim that besides Delhi Metro and Mumbai Metro Line 1, there was NO other significant infra devp works done by the previous govt bween 2005 and 2014. Thats fair enough a claim?

I'll leave the burden of proof on you to show me otherwise :-)

But note, pls don't sign incredulous sighs like "Oh, do you really mean the prev govt built nothing during 2005-2014?" Such wonderment won't help. If you have the data to substantiate your claim, pls point cite them and give links, similar to what I have done.

(Hint: You could quote BWSL in Mumbai, and Eastern Freeway in Mumbai, though mind you, they are state govt projects)

Last edited by vharihar : 31st January 2021 at 13:50.
vharihar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 14:06   #6977
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
I didn't want this to be a political slugfest, but you leave me no choice. Ok, let me make the claim that besides Delhi Metro and Mumbai Metro Line 1, there was NO other significant infra devp works done by the previous govt bween 2005 and 2014. Thats fair enough a claim?
It's absolutely not true.
Quote:
I'll leave the burden of proof on you to show me otherwise :-)
That's not how Burden of proof works. Have you heard of Hitchen's razor? Look it up. It's very helpful in these situations.

Hitchen's razor in 1 line - What is stated without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.
carboy is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 14:43   #6978
BHPian

Quote:
It's absolutely not true.

That's not how Burden of proof works. Have you heard of Hitchen's razor? Look it up. It's very helpful in these situations.

Hitchen's razor in 1 line - What is stated without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.
I made the tongue-in-cheek claim that there is 0 work done by the previous central govt during 2005-2014 (admittedly an exaggeration, but just to make the point). Evidence can be given for works having been done (pics, videos, etc). What evidence can one give for 0 work? The fact that I cannot give evidence itself substantiates my claim that there is 0 work, isn't it?

If you have evidence, pray give it.

Anyway, you're welcome to believe as you deem fit.

Last edited by vharihar : 31st January 2021 at 14:49.
vharihar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 14:59   #6979
Team-BHP Support

MOD NOTE - Please stick to the topic.

All off topic / political discussions would be deleted.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 17:29   #6980
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Actively under-construction projects (along with links where you'll find videos and pics of actual on-site progress; or if you want, go to YouTube and search on your own, you'll find several videos as latest as from a week ago):
In relying on links or videos on social media/forums there is another metric that should be considered. Internet penetration in the country. Here is the trend from 2010 onwards based on World Bank data. If there are x times more users now posting on the Internet does it automatically mean there is x times more being done?

The Official Fuel Prices Thread-screenshot_20210131115314_samsung-internet.jpg

Source - https://data.worldbank.org/indicator...010&view=chart

Quote:
How is this answer relevant to my question?
+1
Dry Ice is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 13:23   #6981
BHPian

Fuel prices to further go up
Government has proposed farm cess of ₹2.5 on petrol and ₹4 on diesel.
Source: TOI
jigar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 13:32   #6982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigar View Post
Excise duty increase is now farm cess so no increase for customers
ani21 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 13:44   #6983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani21 View Post
Excise duty increase is now farm cess so no increase for customers
I didn't get this part. Are they saying they are rewording some of the excise duty part? not able to understand why this will not increase the fuel prices further.
Old 1st February 2021, 14:30   #6984
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
I didn't get this part. Are they saying they are rewording some of the excise duty part? not able to understand why this will not increase the fuel prices further.
As per Budget announcement, there won't be any net hike in fuel prices.

FM has proposed charging a farm cess of ₹2.5 on petrol and ₹4 on diesel. At the same time, there's another proposal to reduce the existing excise duty on the fuel by an equal amount, thereby nullifying the hike.

Quote:
"I propose an Agriculture Infrastructure and Development Cess (AIDC) on a small number of items. However, while applying this cess, we have taken care not to put additional burden on consumers on most items," FM Sitharaman said in her Budget speech.
Source

Quote:
But the Budget fineprint showed no impact on consumers. "Consequent to imposition of Agriculture Infrastructure and Development Cess (AIDC) on petrol and diesel, the Basic excise duty (BED) and Special Additional Excise Duty (SAED) rates have been reduced on them so that overall consumer does not bear any additional burden. Consequently, unbranded petrol and diesel will attract basic excise duty of Rs 1.4, and Rs 1.8 per litre respectively. The SAED on unbranded petrol and diesel shall be Rs 11 ..

Read more at:
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...campaign=cppst
Source

Last edited by ashis89 : 1st February 2021 at 14:33.
ashis89 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 14:33   #6985
Distinguished - BHPian

To the best of my knowledge, this helps the central government reduce the share of revenues that go to states - since revenue from cess does not have to be shared. In short state governments get less money - and may have to increase state VAT on fuels to compensate for the revenue losses
Hayek is offline   (58) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 15:14   #6986
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
To the best of my knowledge, this helps the central government reduce the share of revenues that go to states - since revenue from cess does not have to be shared. In short state governments get less money - and may have to increase state VAT on fuels to compensate for the revenue losses
Absolutely true, the central government previously also did the same few month’s back, while creating a separate segment of road cess on petroleum products and in turn denying the states the benefit of increased prices since the whole of cess amount will go to the central kitty.

Reducing excise duties in this year’s budget further puts pressure on the states and their revenues. Central government would still be collecting money in the form of farm cess though. States would be now left to decide for themselves whether to increase the VAT component or not to make up for the shortfall !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
There is an argument for sacrificing a bit of our present for future. Almost all of us do that all the time. Any savings we do and invest them for future payoffs are from that perspective.
Isn’t paying through our noses for petroleum sacrificing enough ?? Isn’t using a car and adding to the kitty of taxes over and over again sacrificing enough ? Isn’t paying income taxes diligently and see your hard earned money go sacrificing enough ?
Okay, those are my duties towards the nation perhaps.

While we are at it, why ask someone who is not getting two square meals to sacrifice ?? Isn’t hike in petro prices impact everybody and anybody ??

Last edited by Aditya : 1st February 2021 at 23:29. Reason: As requested
ABHI_1512 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 15:23   #6987
BHPian

This feels like central govt is scooping some money from state govts, while keeping the total price same. Now, state govt will come under pressure and increase their VAT etc. Which will effectively increase the price.

So in the end it's customers would be at the receiving end.

Same is the situation at many other goods where additional cess was lavied.
ottocycle is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 16:23   #6988
BHPian

I just came here to see if anyone is talking about the new cess announced.

Even I didn't get why they would increase one cess while decreasing another. But thanks to our fellow members I guess I get it now. Well here is it to that bright future which will be filled with amazing roads and overbridges. Those of you who still some money budgeted for outstation trips please post some pics here.

Oh and why is the cess more for diesel than petrol, isn't this for the benefit of the agricultural sector?

Last edited by GTO : 2nd February 2021 at 06:48. Reason: Nice comment, but against our rules :)
JithinR is online now   (27) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 17:41   #6989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
I just came here to see if anyone is talking about the new cess announced.

Even I didn't get why they would increase one cess while decreasing another. But thanks to our fellow members I guess I get it now. Well here is it to that bright future which will be filled with amazing roads and overbridges. Those of you who still some money budgeted for outstation trips please post some pics here.

Oh and why is the cess more for diesel than petrol, isn't this for the benefit of the agricultural sector?
I agree with you on that.. Road trips and outstation trips are going to be a far cry for a lot of us Well done government.. At this rate in a few years I don't think ill be able to own a car. Don't know where all of this is heading, but it surely doesn't seem right.

Last edited by moralfibre : 2nd February 2021 at 09:10. Reason: Editing quoted post.
AnishRanjan is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 1st February 2021, 20:11   #6990
BHPian

This is how diesel price chart is looking like.

With such a trend Diesels are also becoming cheaper to run.

Pic from Fuelio app log of mine
Attached Thumbnails
The Official Fuel Prices Thread-1612190409358.jpg  

DriveOnceMore is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks