Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2014, 09:38   #3991
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
If fuel prices are really deregulated (at least petrol is 'claimed' to be), what have elections got to do with price corrections (upwards or downwards)?
At the moment there is a cabinet decision of a 50p per month increase in Diesel, and also its regulation. The UPA skipped the increase during the elections. So deregulation and price cut are likely to need cabinet decisions. Once deregulation is done then things supposedly go 'free market'.
Old 11th October 2014, 13:38   #3992
BHPian

It appears that while Diesel prices may be reduced after the polls are over in MH & HR on 15th, the government is unlikely to deregulate Diesel prices.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/44779568.cms

I think it would be a shame to not to take this opportunity to deregulate Diesel prices. The disastrous effect of the fuel subsidies on the economy of the nation has been all visible for the past 3-4 years. The new government should not succumb to the same-old populism & not fix the fundamentals of our economy.
Old 11th October 2014, 14:07   #3993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi Dybuk View Post
It appears that while Diesel prices may be reduced after the polls are over in MH & HR on 15th, the government is unlikely to deregulate Diesel prices.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/44779568.cms

I think it would be a shame to not to take this opportunity to deregulate Diesel prices. The disastrous effect of the fuel subsidies on the economy of the nation has been all visible for the past 3-4 years. The new government should not succumb to the same-old populism & not fix the fundamentals of our economy
Previous Govt had also decontrolled petrol pricing & approved a monthly 50 ps increase to diesel price. They also throttled gold import.

Pretty unpopulist moves when prepoll surveys were against them, but as a result the CAD is now at 1.7% of GDP & economy is recovering. Lets see what this Govt, who had opposed these same moves when in opposition, does.

Last edited by gsurya : 11th October 2014 at 14:13.
Old 11th October 2014, 15:30   #3994
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Previous Govt had also decontrolled petrol pricing & approved a monthly 50 ps increase to diesel price. They also throttled gold import.

Pretty unpopulist moves when prepoll surveys were against them, but as a result the CAD is now at 1.7% of GDP & economy is recovering. Lets see what this Govt, who had opposed these same moves when in opposition, does.
Sir, you seem to be extremely critical of the current govt. though they have been in power only for a few months. Your spare no opportunity to take a potshot at the current govt and now you are sounding as if the previous govt. was taking India to greater heights. It's not that the previous govt took some bold steps, its just because they were forced to do it otherwise they would have faced a ratings downgrade.

Let's wait for 15th October.. I am hoping diesel deregulation should happen sooner than later.
Old 11th October 2014, 15:44   #3995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Sir, you seem to be extremely critical of the current govt. though they have been in power only for a few months. Your spare no opportunity to take a potshot at the current govt and now you are sounding as if the previous govt. was taking India to greater heights. It's not that the previous govt took some bold steps, its just because they were forced to do it otherwise they would have faced a ratings downgrade.

Let's wait for 15th October.. I am hoping diesel deregulation should happen sooner than later.
I do find it amusing that the party in power now had two Bharat Bandhs for these fuel price decontrol done by the previous Govt, had promised to roll back fuel hikes, even promised to implement 'Goa model' across country during elections.

And yes, I will be very keen to see how this party in Govt walks the talk it did in opposition & during campaign all we have seen so far is further talk & U-turns. I think the last Govt did decently considering global economic turmoil, our numbers stack up well globally too.
gsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2014, 15:44   #3996
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Sir, you seem to be extremely critical of the current govt. though they have been in power only for a few months. Your spare no opportunity to take a potshot at the current govt and now you are sounding as if the previous govt. was taking India to greater heights.
Come on, this is the 'job' of people sitting in the opposition. Oppose all moves of the Govt., whether good or bad. Only the tables keep turning once in a while.

Guys, lets keep the forum politics-free. And moreover, I feel that this discussion in not at all relevant for this thread.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th October 2014, 16:24   #3997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Come on, this is the 'job' of people sitting in the opposition. Oppose all moves of the Govt., whether good or bad. Only the tables keep turning once in a while.
Really? Imagine if a car maker sold us a Ferrari & gave us a Tata Nano

My point is that fuel price hikes done by the previous Govt were equally 'bold' at a time when their own stock was slumping, crude prices were high & global economy conditions were far more unfavorable.

I do indeed hope this Govt deregulates diesel price soon AND implements Aadhaar based DBT fully for LPG & Kerosene.

More importantly, it should NOT reduce fuel prices now but make the PSUs use the bonanza to upgrade their refineries to Euro-V, which was planned to be done by 2020.
Old 11th October 2014, 16:31   #3998
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Really? Imagine if a car maker sold us a Ferrari & gave us a Tata Nano
Surya, my argument will only take this thread more towards discussion on Indian polity rather than fuel prices. Hence, I will refrain to make comments on it. Just as a hint, if everyone delivered a Ferrari as promised, wouldn't we all be driving a Ferrari by now?
Old 11th October 2014, 17:00   #3999
BHPian

Quote:

Guys, lets keep the forum politics-free. And moreover, I feel that this discussion in not at all relevant for this thread.

Regards,
Saket
I dont think that the previous post was anyways related to politics. I think rather the point being made is that if the previous government acted on certain cues and took steps to reduce the disparity between cost and sale price of fuel, the current government which incidentally gained political mileage out of criticizing such decisions should now reduce the prices as they promised. Their intent may be good however their actions or the lack of it so far seem questionable. The questions being raised are purely in context of reduction in prices, and it is not a reflection of any government or the efficacy of their governance.

Disclaimer: once again, there is no political angle, neither am I looking for praising anyone. I am only looking for a healthy debate on a matter that's important to all of us.
rattanw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2014, 17:13   #4000
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattanw View Post
I dont think that the previous post was anyways related to politics. I think rather the point being made is that if the previous government acted on certain cues and took steps to reduce the disparity between cost and sale price of fuel, the current government which incidentally gained political mileage out of criticizing such decisions should now reduce the prices as they promised. Their intent may be good however their actions or the lack of it so far seem questionable. The questions being raised are purely in context of reduction in prices, and it is not a reflection of any government or the efficacy of their governance.

Disclaimer: once again, there is no political angle, neither am I looking for praising anyone. I am only looking for a healthy debate on a matter that's important to all of us.
But this discussion can continue by just bashing the current policies of the present Govt. On the other hand, comparing it to previous Govt. brings a political angle to the discussion, even if it is not the intention.
Bash the taxation policy on fuel, bash the Govt. passiveness towards reducing fuel prices despite fall in International crude prices and all that is fine, as this is talking about fuel pricing. But if we start comparing the Governments, we are indulging politically more than fuel pricing. Hope you get the drift.

That certainly is my opinion.

Regards,
Saket
Old 11th October 2014, 17:22   #4001
BHPian

Quote:
Bash the taxation policy on fuel, bash the Govt. passiveness towards reducing fuel prices despite fall in International crude prices and all that is fine, as this is talking about fuel pricing.
I completely agree with your here, the intent is to critically appraise the government's policy.

Quote:
But if we start comparing the Governments, we are indulging politically more than fuel pricing. Hope you get the drift.

That certainly is my opinion.

Regards,
Saket
In my opinion, till the time we are actually comparing only the specific policies of the two governments, without bringing in political affiliations, there is hardly any political connection.

Anyway, I rest my case. I think your intent was to continue with the discussion, so is mine. Cheers!
Old 11th October 2014, 17:52   #4002
BHPian

Here is why I think this Govt should be 'bold' & NOT reduce fuel prices. Current prices are affordable & people are already used to them, just dont raise them further unless crude prices zoom.

Instead they should use the difference to make all refineries expedite implementation of Euro-V norms. It will save our childrens' lungs in the long run.

http://www.business-standard.com/art...0900934_1.html

Quote:
But this discussion can continue by just bashing the current policies of the present Govt. On the other hand, comparing it to previous Govt. brings a political angle to the discussion, even if it is not the intention.
I didnt bring in the previous Govt, I responded a post that brought in the previous Govt as being 'populist', hence pointed out the anomaly.

In fact, I am happy if the present Govt continues the fuel pricing / decontrol policies of the previous Govt to its logical end DESPITE what it said during campaign.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 11th October 2014 at 19:10.
gsurya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2014, 11:10   #4003
Senior - BHPian

I saw in the ToI today (found no trace of the web version) that a Rs.2.50 price drop in Diesel is on the cards. However, what is disturbing is that they have no intentions of deregulating. Why, is the old habit of not giving up control? There was a hint that the privates (read Reliance & Essar) may protest. Is it due to the fear of the PSUs being under cut by the privateeers?
Old 13th October 2014, 16:17   #4004
Senior - BHPian

Just saw on the box Petrol cut by Re.1 effective 15 October. No news about Diesel.
Old 13th October 2014, 18:43   #4005
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: As per our rules, please avoid any political discussions. Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks