Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2008, 23:50   #31
Team-BHP Support

The way i see it, any move to enforce the laws of the road is a welcome move.

Surely this idea has its shortcomings - but essentially it is like doubling / tripling the traffic police force for a very small amount of $$.

A lot of other countries use dummies sitting in cop cars (since cops arent really seen on foot on highways etc) - and it works pretty damn well.

Appart from theft, abuse and random flight - i think the biggest longterm weakness will be that these cutouts with get worn out and will never be replaced. Soon there will be armless and headless cops trying to clock your speeds - and soon after that they wont be around anymore.

Lets see how it goes.

cya
R
Old 27th June 2008, 23:59   #32
Senior - BHPian

Saw these cut outs "live" today - right before the Ghatkopar flyover. I really don't know why they bothered - the way the cut outs were blowing in the wind , a blind man could tell they were fake.

As usual another dumb idea by MTP.
Old 28th June 2008, 00:12   #33
BHPian

I can't wait to see these on the road. Put some grass on them and watch the cattle have a "field" day. That'll be
Old 28th June 2008, 00:37   #34
BHPian

Cool very cool. I must say our Traffic police has a sense of humor even though it's unintentional. What happens if a crow builds a nest on top of them ?

Who wants to bet ? I say these cutouts will be stolen in the next 15 days It's sure to keep drivers on their toes for while at least.

Last edited by carzy : 28th June 2008 at 00:40.
Old 28th June 2008, 13:05   #35
BHPian

I'm sure you guys would have seen the videos of Topless babes holding the speed sign in Europe..According to the cops it works well cause people always slowdown to ogle the babes(forget the speed sign)...Flipside people drive too slow or simply stop to get a better look and cause traffic jams-anyways it was funny.
Old 28th June 2008, 13:19   #36
Senior - BHPian

The days are not far off when a spirited driver will mow down a real traffic cop, thinking it is a dummy! Watch out cops!
Old 28th June 2008, 17:36   #37
BHPian

Mumbai traffic cops come up with a 'dummy' idea

This is an article from IBN live.

Source:

Mumbai traffic cops come up with a 'dummy' idea
Old 28th June 2008, 19:24   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolffe View Post
I'm sure you guys would have seen the videos of Topless babes holding the speed sign in Europe..According to the cops it works well cause people always slowdown to ogle the babes(forget the speed sign)...Flipside people drive too slow or simply stop to get a better look and cause traffic jams-anyways it was funny.
haha i like the sound of that
Old 29th June 2008, 22:43   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
No, that's a one way flyover.

Reports say that these cutouts WILL be frequently replaced by real cops to catch unsuspecting motorists.

P.S. - I am thinking of Ferrari and Lambo cutouts in my driveway

Now i have fallen off the bed and can't control my laugh
Old 29th June 2008, 23:06   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
now i can run some of them over too wicked
Careful, dont run over the real ones!!
Old 30th June 2008, 02:07   #41
BHPian

Very amusing and will be effective if they can alternate the real ones with the dummies randomly. However the best part of this is it shows at least some one is thinking nevermind the validity of the idea.
Old 30th June 2008, 02:11   #42
Senior - BHPian

even if one car slows down, that will result in many cars behind it slowing down too.
Old 1st July 2008, 14:23   #43
BHPian

Doesnt look like this is a great success as per the excerpt from the same article.

"With motorists not slowing down, this has become another gimmick of the traffic police. Maybe the traffic police should reconsider and put up cutouts of film stars so that people might at least stop to gaze."

But the reporter is thinking the right way...i.e. put cutouts of film stars. This should help getting some attention. But the 'catch 22' situation in this is that you would be distracting drivers while they are driving and that too faster. So you might end up having an unwanted accident scenario.
Old 4th April 2013, 15:25   #44
Senior - BHPian

Cardboard traffic police in Bangalore

Interesting Linky.

Not spotted though by me so far in North/East Bangalore:

Quote:
Police in the Indian city of Bangalore are using life-like cardboard figures of officers to try and stop traffic violations.

The 'fake' policemen have been placed in the central district and will be seen around the whole city soon.

The move is part of a drive to control traffic in the city that has about 4.2 million vehicles on its roads.

Bangalore in Karnataka state is home to multinational firms like Microsoft, Coca Cola, IBM and Hewlett Packard.

"It is not a gimmick. Wherever we have put up these cut outs, violations have come down," Traffic Commissioner MA Saleem told the BBC.

Mr Saleem admitted there is a shortage of more than 500 traffic policemen in the city.

"Right now we have put these cut outs in the central district. We will have them throughout the city soon," he added.

'Dumb idea'
Mr Saleem is credited with another novel initiative called Public Eye, which allows citizens to help police catch traffic offenders by posting photographs of violators on the traffic police website. Immediately the police take action against the offenders.

"We can't be at every junction all the time and such measures help" said Ramachandra, a traffic police sub-inspector.

Many in the force believe new measures had to be put in place to check habitual traffic violators.

But there are sceptics who doubt the effectiveness of this latest drive.

"All these things won't work. What is needed is the presence of real constables. The government should recruit more policemen," said one constable manning a busy junction in the city.

"Having dummies is a dumb idea. Do you think we can be fooled?" said Rahul, a college student.

Many other police officers believe such initiatives are temporary and only huge fines will help cut violations in the long run.

Police say there were more than 60,000 traffic violations in Bangalore in 2012. At least two pedestrians are killed on its roads every day by speeding vehicles.
DCEite is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 11:35   #45
BANNED

Re: Traffic Cop? No silly, thats a dummy!

I have seen one near Rajbhaban Road in Bangalore few days back. Initially I thought, it was some campaign by Traffic police with a paper cut out.
They have placed it facing (perpendicular) to the road; hence anyone who can notice it from a distance can clearly able to see the thickness of the card board. At least, they could have put it behind a traffic shed only exposing the head.
There was an article in Times of India, that, they are planning to put cameras in those placards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks