Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2008, 12:13   #211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
For the Splash to make any movement in the market, it should be positioned in between WagonR and Swift. Not above it.

Being Maruti, I don't think they'll goof up in positioning of these cars. I pray!
If MSIL thinks of placing the Splash around the Swift range i think it would nt be that great. In UK Splash is more expensive than the Swift!
I think if Splash is priced around 25-30k cheaper than Swift would be kinda acceptable.
Old 27th July 2008, 15:19   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
If MSIL thinks of placing the Splash around the Swift range i think it would nt be that great. In UK Splash is more expensive than the Swift!
I think if Splash is priced around 25-30k cheaper than Swift would be kinda acceptable.
The UK version of splash is coming with 1.2 Petrol engine, which is powerful and fuel efficent too. Is maruti going to use the same engine??
Old 27th July 2008, 17:33   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajtheindian View Post
The UK version of splash is coming with 1.2 Petrol engine, which is powerful and fuel efficent too. Is maruti going to use the same engine??
The UK version of the 1.2ltr engine is 1242cc. If Maruti brings this engine, then Splash wont get the benifit of tax exemption. ACI mentions that the engine will be made under 1200cc and will make around 80bhp or less.

I hope that Maruti Suzuki also change the engine, and rather expand it to 1300cc and fit it in Swift.
And for the Splash they reduce it to below 1200cc.

More information about the 1.2ltr engine available in UK.

Displacement ( cc ) : 1242 cc.
Bore X Stroke ( mm ) : 73.0 mm X 74.2 mm.
Power ( bhp ) : 86 bhp @ 5500 rpm.
Torque ( NM ) : 114 NM @ 4400rpm.
Compression Ration : 11.0

Last edited by aaggoswami : 27th July 2008 at 17:51.
Old 28th July 2008, 12:52   #214
Senior - BHPian

This is what I found on Maruti Website. Link is :Five Doors, Euro V: Maruti's A-Star Set for Global Journey

Quote:
After an overwhelming response of Swift diesel, Maruti Suzuki India Ltd (MSIL) is now working on a second-generation diesel engine, which will be introduced with its fifth global car —A-Star.

“We are working on a new diesel engine at our powertrain unit in Manesar and will initially produce 3,00,000 units, starting October 2008,” MSIL managing director S Nakanishi said here on Wednesday.
The new five-door hatchback car, showcased at the 9th Auto Expo along with other concept cars - Splash and Kazshi, will have a newly developed Euro V-compliant 1.0 litre petrol engine.

The car will be manufactured along with Swift at MSIL’s Manesar plant where the capacity will be ramped up from one-lakh units currently, to three lakh units once the production of A-Star begins.

While around 1,00,000 units of A-Star will cater to the European Markets under the Suzuki badge, the remaining 50,000 units will be sold in India.

However, with export from Mumbai port getting crowded, country’s second largest passenger car exporter Maruti is now eyeing ports in Gujarat for its exports. “Mumbai port has become overcrowded and with our plans to export A-Star to European Markets from December 2008, we will shift our entire exports to one of the ports in Gujarat,” Nakanishi said, adding, no port has been finalized as yet. While the company’s Splash will be launched in India with a 1.2 litre petrol and 1.3 litre diesel engine in the next fiscal, there is no timeframe for the launch of concept Kizashi.
So, the A- Star will be exported from December 2008. So its surely coming before December with a Euro V complaint 1.0 ltr engine. This is for sure now.
And the Splash is coming with a 1.2 petrol. Good that they are finally leaving the 1.1 F10 only in Wagon R.
Old 28th July 2008, 13:15   #215
Senior - BHPian

Who are they working with for diesel engine ? I recently saw a interview wherein the Maruri head said Fiat was charging a exorbitant amount of money for taking up outsourcing of a small diesel engine.
Old 28th July 2008, 13:35   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Who are they working with for diesel engine ? I recently saw a interview wherein the Maruri head said Fiat was charging a exorbitant amount of money for taking up outsourcing of a small diesel engine.
ACI speculates that a 3 cyl 963 cc engine based on the 1.3 could come from GM ! Apparently GM is readying this for the new M300 Matiz/Beat (Spark successor)
Old 28th July 2008, 17:03   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post

GM has license to produce the 1248cc diesel engine ( presently available in Swift and Palio ) in three cylinder format. This will make it some 936cc. Mostly the one ltr diesel will be this engine.

But Fiat is also said to be developing an 800cc twin cylinder diesel and 1 ltr three cylinder diesel. When the deal was struck on the present 1248cc, Fiat offered Suzuki to develop a new 1 ltr three cylinder diesel.

It is said that Suzuki rejected the offer. Mostly the deal you are talking about is for the 800cc twin cylinder diesel.
Old 29th July 2008, 20:03   #218
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

My guess is that Splash would be priced at par with Hyundai i10. Finally Maruti will have a product that competes directly with both the i10 1.1 (in the form of Splash 1.0 L 62bhp), and 1.2 competeing against i10 Kappa 1.2.

Swift would continue to fight with Getz/i20 albeit with an upgraded M series engine.

WagonR and Estilo would continue the fight with Santro and Spark. A-Star will be priced just above Alto, and Alto will see price correction of about 30k.

End result:- More choices for the consumer!

Last edited by DCEite : 29th July 2008 at 20:06.
Old 29th July 2008, 20:13   #219
Senior - BHPian

Splash with 1.3 DDIS will murder i10 1.1 Crdi. Hyundai have to be very careful in pricing the i10 diesel or they might lose the battle in the price.
Old 29th July 2008, 20:59   #220
Senior - BHPian

I saw either a rendering or a photo of the Splash on the front cover of the August issue of Autocar(India) magazine and i was converted a bit. Especially after seeing the ghastly spy shots!. The car looks passable to me and the price printed next to the pic was "3-4 lacs"!. For that money, maybe.
Old 29th July 2008, 22:12   #221
Senior - BHPian

A correction regarding my earlier post. I meant the "A-Star" insteas of the "Splash" as i had incorrectly typed.
Old 31st July 2008, 14:00   #222
Senior - BHPian

The A-star launch is mostly going to be in October.

http://www.******************/maruti...-october-2008/

I hope Maruti Suzuki is able to launch it in first week of october. Usually the launch will get postponed till month end. This should not happen in this case.
Old 31st July 2008, 14:39   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
The A-star launch is mostly going to be in October.

http://www.******************/maruti...-october-2008/

I hope Maruti Suzuki is able to launch it in first week of october. Usually the launch will get postponed till month end. This should not happen in this case.
aagoswami i am unable to guess the link... Please give the full link . Why have covered the URL with '*' 's?
Old 7th August 2008, 14:32   #224
BHPian

A-star will be the Alto outside India

First Photo of Suzuki Alto modelchange 2008 debuts 2008 Paris motor show — AUTOinCAR
Old 7th August 2008, 14:45   #225
Senior - BHPian

Must admit the designing looks really good. Maruti is really capturing the market big time with so many hatchbacks and small cars.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks