Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2008, 18:21   #166
Senior - BHPian

Heard they are coming up with a 1.9L diesel mill- false propaganda, or is there some truth in it?
Old 14th July 2008, 17:22   #167
Senior - BHPian

I came across a sketch of the A-star which the link claims as Alto replacement

2008 Suzuki Alto modelchange outline leaked — AUTOinCAR
Old 14th July 2008, 17:28   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post

Did Hyundai steal the same while designing the i10 ?
Old 14th July 2008, 17:36   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post

i dont think so. A lot of credit for A-star design does go to Indian Engineers( Its not a compliment). I doubt if i10 has Indian Design DNA.
Old 14th July 2008, 18:20   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post

Maybe it is actually an alto replacement and not the A-Star at all.
Because the production model doesn't resemble the concept at all so maybe we have an alto replacement on our hands which we are thinking of as the a-star
Old 14th July 2008, 18:30   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbkamit View Post
Maybe it is actually an alto replacement and not the A-Star at all.
Because the production model doesn't resemble the concept at all so maybe we have an alto replacement on our hands which we are thinking of as the a-star
You could be right amit. It looks nothing like the A-Star we saw at the expo. Also A-Star is touted to be the "World Car" from Maruti Suzuki and IMHO this production model doesn't really look likw a world car.
Old 14th July 2008, 19:38   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like they had an original design in concept stage. While moving from concept to production, they were influenced by some of the i10's design. Especially the front.
Old 14th July 2008, 19:49   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmm.. haven't we seen lines from other popular cars in Hyundai models? i wouldn't be surprised
Old 14th July 2008, 19:51   #174
Senior - BHPian

I took these pics at the Delhi Auto Show. I had high hopes for the A-Star from concept to reality. What i have seen so far has been a let down , of sorts. I will wait for the final version before i take a call. The Splash was a let down right from the moment i set sight on it. Suzuki just doesn't know how to design cars, is my opinion. Once in while they do come up with a winner, like the SX4. But, then again, FIAT had an involvement in the design. The last pic is of a WagonR concept,named the "Cross", that made a lot of sense to me, over the Splash. I wish someone at Maruti is listening.

Last edited by nickatnite : 14th July 2008 at 19:54.
Old 14th July 2008, 20:59   #175
Senior - BHPian

@Amit & Car-Agey- Please compare the Sketch & pics posted in the 1st page of the thread. Its clearly the A-star. But we still aint sure that its an Alto Replacement. The website only mentions it ll be an Alto replacement. Lets wait & see what MSIL decides to do since it ll be launched in India 1st.
Attached Thumbnails
Spotted: Maruti Suzuki Splash And A-star-2008suzukialtooutline1.jpg  

Spotted: Maruti Suzuki Splash And A-star-3.jpg  

Spotted: Maruti Suzuki Splash And A-star-2008suzukialtooutline4.jpg  

Spotted: Maruti Suzuki Splash And A-star-2.jpg  

Old 14th July 2008, 21:59   #176
Senior - BHPian

I lost my pics in my earlier post when i tried to edit , due to an internet connection problem. Here are the pics i had taken at the Delhi Auto Show. My comments in my earlier post remain the same. The Splash is nothing worth talking about.On the other hand, the WagonR X-over was.Take a look.
Attached Thumbnails
Spotted: Maruti Suzuki Splash And A-star-14.jpg  

Spotted: Maruti Suzuki Splash And A-star-2.jpg  

Spotted: Maruti Suzuki Splash And A-star-3.jpg  

Spotted: Maruti Suzuki Splash And A-star-4.jpg  

Spotted: Maruti Suzuki Splash And A-star-5.jpg  

Spotted: Maruti Suzuki Splash And A-star-13.jpg  

Spotted: Maruti Suzuki Splash And A-star-1.jpg  

Last edited by nickatnite : 14th July 2008 at 22:13.
Old 15th July 2008, 04:14   #177
BANNED

Concepts are meant to be concepts. Not at all meant for production.
So, why do we see the A Star concept from the auto show being shown here in this thread repeatedly?
It's time we understand and mark the reality and the concept worlds apart.
Old 18th July 2008, 23:21   #178
Senior - BHPian

Some more news about the Splash launch and a possible diesel engine.
The news about Splash is not much, but its now coming with diesel for sure.

The link to the article is :
Rising fuel cost: Consumers prefer diesel cars, cos increase production- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

The complete article is:
Quote:

MUMBAI: Consumers have begun opting for diesel versions of popular car models in the wake of rising fuel costs, forcing carmakers to step up production of the diesel variants in recent months. The Indian car market, which grew 8% last year, comprises largely petrol-driven cars, which also bring in higher business margins.
Maruti Suzuki’s fast movers Swift and Dzire are selling 65% diesel variants and others like Tata Motors, M&M, GM, Hyundai and Ford are jacking up production of the diesel models. Tata’s Indica and Indigo, Mahindra’s Logan, GM’s Optra and Hyundai Verna and Sonata are seeing an increase in diesel model sales in recent months.
The trend towards diesel models is forcing Maruti Suzuki to launch the diesel and the petrol variant of the Splash hatchback and is understood to be jacking up production of its diesel engine plant to three lakh units from one lakh units. Although company officials deny the move, sources indicate that the Japanese car major is working with Fiat on a smaller engine to power its B segment cars like Alto, Wagon R, Zen Estilo.
The Swift and Dzire diesel variants are powered by the 1.3 litre Fiat’s multi-jet diesel engines. Maruti Suzki did not have any manufacturing unit for diesel engines earlier, but they did manufacture diesel versions of Maruti Zen and Maruti Esteem, using imported engines from Peugeot.
Tata Motors now has the most affordable diesel car in the Indian market—Indica and Indigo. More than 75% of these two models sell the diesel variants. Making diesel engines is an important part of Korean major Hyundai’s vision, looking at the ever-rising prices of petrol in the local market. More than 65% of Verna and Sonata sales come from the diesel variant. However, “we are looking at offering the Santro and Accent models with CNG and LPG to counter any competition”, said Hyundai Motor India senior V-P (marketing and sales) Arvind Saxena.
Diesel technology is getting much superior more environment-friendly. This is forcing car manufacturers, who do not have the technology, to start looking at alternative solutions, says GM India V-P Ankush Arora.
Old 22nd July 2008, 12:36   #179
BHPian

Came across this link from suzuki global on Splash...
SUZUKI*SPLASH
Old 22nd July 2008, 13:06   #180
BHPian

saw the facelifted Kia Piccanto and God first thing that struck me was 'hey thats the Alto replacement look alike', but as this has been around for over 6 months now guess if the Japanese stole Korean design rather than it being the other way round?

Last edited by Samurai : 27th July 2008 at 10:34. Reason: Don't use externally hosted images
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks