Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2022, 08:57   #391
Team-BHP Support

Re: Speed 97 and High RON petrol discussion thread

Proctane bottle will clearly say how much is to be added per 10 ltr for increase - +4, +7,+10 octane.

Frankly for Mini, regular XP95 is good enough. Unless you have tuned it for a higher octane fuel, you will have zero change.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 20:06   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
1. Shall I add the Proctane to XP 95? Will it be overkill?
2. Or Shall I use normal petrol and add the Proctane?
3. Can I add the STP to the normal petrol which I fill in my new Thar and old Gypsy? Is it at all necessary or a ‘good idea’? Will it make a difference?
1. Proctane with XP95 is overkill for your Cooper. Stick to XP95.
2. If XP95 isn't available, you should definitely use Regular fuel with Proctane.
3. STP will cause spark plug fouling over the long run. If you're just looking to finish a few bottles that are left over then go ahead and use it but I would avoid using it in the long run. I wouldn't say its necessary/a good idea to use STP on your other vehicles because these I doubt these engines would benefit from the added octane (new thar maybe but old gypsy, definitely not).
dealer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 20:16   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer View Post
1. Proctane with XP95 is overkill for your Cooper. Stick to XP95.
2. If XP95 isn't available, you should definitely use Regular fuel with Proctane.
3. STP will cause spark plug fouling over the long run. If you're just looking to finish a few bottles that are left over then go ahead and use it but I would avoid using it in the long run. I wouldn't say its necessary/a good idea to use STP on your other vehicles because these I doubt these engines would benefit from the added octane (new thar maybe but old gypsy, definitely not).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Proctane bottle will clearly say how much is to be added per 10 ltr for increase - +4, +7,+10 octane.

Frankly for Mini, regular XP95 is good enough. Unless you have tuned it for a higher octane fuel, you will have zero change.
Thanks a lot.
I will take your advice ref the Cooper.
The Gypsy is basically an MPFI 2014 Model. However the engine technology was first introduced in India in the early 2000’s. Hence Im not sure the addition of STP to increase Octane rating is going to help it.
Maybe I will put this STP in the Thar once every couple of tankfuls.
Old 24th October 2022, 20:53   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Just wanted to ask the following 3 things,

1. Shall I add the Proctane to XP 95? Will it be overkill?
2. Or Shall I use normal petrol and add the Proctane?
3. Can I add the STP to the normal petrol which I fill in my new Thar and old Gypsy? Is it at all necessary or a ‘good idea’? Will it make a difference?
Running a higher octane petrol than what the engine was designed for, will not make any difference other than wasting money.

Higher octane petrol is less susceptible to pre-ignition in higher compression engines, meaning it doesn't ignite under high pressure before the spark plug lights the fuel.

You mentioned not noticing any difference between XP95 and XP100, i'm assuming that the octane rating for your car must be 95 in that case (it's mentioned inside the fuel filler flap)

1. If the recommended RON for your car is 95 then XP95+Proctane will be overkill.

2. Normal Petrol + Proctane in the right amount should produce same effects as the XP95

3. Thar & Gypsy have a recommended octane rating of 91 (not sure, my honda city has a recommended 91 RON mentioned so i'm assuming the same), so unless the fuel at your petrol pump has been tampered with, you won't notice any difference after adding the STP or Proctane.
katil.garage is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 20:58   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer View Post
3. STP will cause spark plug fouling over the long run
Will Proctane also cause spark plug fouling? They claim 0 MMT and harmful substances
katil.garage is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2022, 22:54   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katil.garage View Post
Will Proctane also cause spark plug fouling? They claim 0 MMT and harmful substances
I don't think proctane causes spark plug fouling. I've used a 1.5% blend for more than 15k kms with no signs of typical octane booster fouling (orange ash) when I last changed my spark plugs a few weeks ago.
Old 28th October 2022, 16:35   #397
Senior - BHPian

Driving a linea t-jet for the past 8 years and just thinking of switching to XP95 (If it would help). Fuel cap says Min 91RON. No info on Max RON. What do you think?

It's a remapped (wolf) car with no other performance mods.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 16:38   #398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Driving a linea t-jet for the past 8 years and just thinking of switching to XP95 (If it would help). Fuel cap says Min 91RON. No info on Max RON. What do you think?

Try XP95. Im sure it will be a happy moment for you when you stomp the accelerator. It was for me!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 17:36   #399
BHPian

Influenced by this thread I filled up my remapped Polo 1.2 TSI with XP 100 a couple of days ago. I was sceptical that anything would change as I couldn't find any difference in perfomance when I had tried XP 95. But after two days of driving I would say that there is a noticeable improvement in the overall drivability of the car. The coarseness of the engine is gone, it has become peppier and smoother. The gear shifts feel quicker now and the slight hesitation the engine had to accelerate when pressed on throttle is gone now.

I wonder many of these effects are a placebo but even then what I believe is that the tune I have got for the car works well with this fuel.

However, at 160 INR per liter, its a tall price to pay for the improved driveability. Makes me wonder, why XP 95 is only priced a few rupees over RON 91 and XP 100 at 160 which is only 5 RON more.
corvus corax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 17:50   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus corax View Post
However, at 160 INR per liter, its a tall price to pay for the improved driveability. Makes me wonder, why XP 95 is only priced a few rupees over RON 91 and XP 100 at 160 which is only 5 RON more.
This is an excellent question to which even I would love to know the answer. On a recent trip to Ooty I observed there that they have completely stopped XP95 and are only selling XP100.

Could this perhaps be a sign of things to come everywhere else too in the future?

Basically … ‘if the customers want higher performance then let them be prepared to pay for it!’ …could be the new war cry in the IOCL boardrooms!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 18:39   #401
BHPian

I have been asking about experiences people have had with Proctane Evo usage (or any octane booster) for my Taigun. From what I read here, it seems to be reliable alternative but I am inclined to conclude that this is a fall back option only if XP95 or any other 95+ RON fuels are not available.

Proctane Evo (9 bottles, 300ml ea, 2700ml in total) costs Rs.5600 (or Rs.2074 per 1000ml). For my Taigun's 50L tank, using 500ml of Proctane Evo (1% mix, bringing the fuel in tank to RON95) would cost Rs.1037 for each tank full.

This is approximately Rs.735 more than a tank full of XP95, for the same mileage benefit.

So, it is useful when there is no higher RON fuels available but certainly not for long term cost savings IF XP95 is available readily.

XP100 and Power99 are just too costly, but still cheaper compared to RON91+Proctane mixes for the same levels.

Kind of related information - I had mentioned this in another thread. I had raised a query with BPCL to see which petrol pumps in Chennai had Speed 97. A BPCL representative who had contacted me over phone gave that information but also, interestingly, said that their normal & Speed variants were also RON93-95.

I am not sure if there is anyway we can verify that. But I did run 800Kms+ during the weekend before Deepavali with RON91 from BPCL (XP95 was not available anywhere I checked) and I was actually surprised by the mileage I got. It was actually better than the mileage I got with XP100 or XP95 when driven similar distances on highways.
asmr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2022, 21:55   #402
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
I For my Taigun's 50L tank, using 500ml of Proctane Evo (1% mix, bringing the fuel in tank to RON95) A BPCL representative who had contacted me over phone gave that information but also, interestingly, said that their normal & Speed variants were also RON93-95.
BPCL guy will be correct, I have heard similar things from IOCL. I asked the Proctane guy how can we check the RON, apparently it's an expensive piece of equipment and even they don't have

Mileage will change a bit only if there is a substantial difference, not sure about that too. Most engines will change the timing as knock sensors will send signals and retard the timing. Conversely, if a higher octane fuel is used, ECU may not be able to advance the timing beyond a point effectively, so higher octane will get wasted.

You should be ok with regular good quality fuel if you don't get XP95 in my opinion.
Turbanator is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 09:39   #403
BHPian

Quote:
But I did run 800Kms+ during the weekend before Deepavali with RON91 from BPCL (XP95 was not available anywhere I checked) and I was actually surprised by the mileage I got. It was actually better than the mileage I got with XP100 or XP95 when driven similar distances on highways.
I've been a long term user of shell vPower (4+yrs). For both my cars, I noticed that there is good linear acceleration and appreciable smoothness in the engine while using vPower vis normal petrol. Mileage was always the same in both cases. But in most cases, my need was to have a smooth drive experience over the scale of economics (cost of fuel).
I once accidentally filled up XP100 and I was blown away with the engine smoothness and pickup it provided over vPower. Again, no big improvement over mileage, but drive experience was mind blowing.
I'm going to start trying XP95 from now on for both my cars. XP100 is definitely an overkill for my vehicles , but for the drive experience it provides, it can be tried occasionally I think..
Venkatr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 09:59   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post

Strictly XP95 in my Wolf Remapped Tjet. You and your car will thank IOCL especially in map3.

And for those who are planning road trips and worried about the availability of XP95, please download the IOCL App. You can filter to show the bunks that actually have XP95 and this can be mapped to your route, and I also believe this is real time data. And thanks to this app we found IOCL bunks serving up XP95 in obscure places on our way to Dharmastala, Kollur, Shikaripur etc. No more craning the next to see if the bunk has a pink dispenser and a smiling rhino.
sai_ace is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 10:03   #405
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure if there is anyway we can verify that. But I did run 800Kms+ during the weekend before Deepavali with RON91 from BPCL (XP95 was not available anywhere I checked) and I was actually surprised by the mileage I got. It was actually better than the mileage I got with XP100 or XP95 when driven similar distances on highways.
I think with IOCL and BPCL outlets, adulteration has a huge role to play. XP95 is very good provided you get it from a trustworthy outlet. XP95 gives me close to 10 kmpl on a Porsche 911 (2012 model, NA engine) which is very impressive. I have also seen terrible performance with XP95 when filled from different outlets. This is the biggest challenge with IOC when compared to Shell, but unfortunately Shell doesn't sell higher RON fuel.

My current strategy is to fill up XP95 from a reliable outlet. If XP95 is not available, I'll stick to the regular RON91 and avoid any high-rev driving and it should be just fine. That's what my car manual says as well. RON91 doesn't result in any knocking (in my car) but it will increase the overall operating temperature where as the engine runs relatively cooler with the recommended higher RON fuel.

Last edited by androdev : 24th January 2023 at 10:06.
androdev is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks