Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2022, 15:35   #361
Sen
BHPian

Re: Speed 97 and High RON petrol discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
I have seen a pump dispensing normal unleaded petrol from the XP95 dispenser.
How'd you figure it out? On the spot? Or after utilising it and seeing a change in how the car behaved?
Old 20th September 2022, 15:42   #362
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen View Post
How'd you figure it out? On the spot? Or after utilising it and seeing a change in how the car behaved?
It was being charged at the normal rate if I understand correctly.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 15:57   #363
Sen
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
It was being charged at the normal rate if I understand correctly.
Wow, this is a possibility?

There's only one bunk I fill at near E-city since I noticed such a perceptible difference in the way my car behaves after filling XP95.

Might have to be extra careful when gauging quality (I just see the relation between distance travelled on the odo in that trip reading, and the general fuel level at the moment, typically around the quarter tank remaining mark)
Old 7th October 2022, 09:02   #364

Hi all,
Just noticed the price of XP95 in my local bunk was a sky-high 170 rupees per litre.

Is this a one-off case, or has IOCL silently revised the pricing of XP95 by around 63-odd rupees?
Old 7th October 2022, 10:42   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizons View Post
Hi all,
Just noticed the price of XP95 in my local bunk was a sky-high 170 rupees per litre.

Is this a one-off case, or has IOCL silently revised the pricing of XP95 by around 63-odd rupees?
XP 100 is 160-170 Rs.
XP 95 was at last count only 106 or so.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2022, 14:36   #366
BANNED

Recently I filled approx 32-33ltrs of XP100 in my Gypsy at JP Infra Petrol Bunk right next to Food street on the Yamuna Expressway next to the eatery on a whim at more than 160/- per ltr. There would have been some 5 liters of normal petrol in the tank. I noticed absolutely no change whatsoever in the engine performance of the car. So I started suspecting that they had pumped regular petrol through the XP100 dispensing machine. I had no way of confirming this though. Has anyone actually noticed a difference on filling high octane fuel? I feel no difference even with XP95 at trusted petrol pumps so I am not so sure.
Old 7th October 2022, 14:48   #367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Recently I filled approx 32-33ltrs of XP100 in my Gypsy at JP Infra Petrol Bunk right next to Food street on the Yamuna Expressway next to the eatery on a whim at more than 160/- per ltr. There would have been some 5 liters of normal petrol in the tank. I noticed absolutely no change whatsoever in the engine performance of the car. So I started suspecting that they had pumped regular petrol through the XP100 dispensing machine. I had no way of confirming this though. Has anyone actually noticed a difference on filling high octane fuel? I feel no difference even with XP95 at trusted petrol pumps so I am not so sure.
I filled XP100 on my Interceptor which had around 5 litres of XP95 in the tank already, just for the heck of it. I realized it was 160/- per litre only when I was next to the pump. I don't think these high octane petrol will make much of a difference on a normal engine. It is mainly meant for high compression engines in sports bikes and cars to avoid pre-ignition. On a normal engine, at the most one can feel is some amount of smoothness and probably some freeness in revving the engine. I did feel some increase in smoothness in my bike more than the usual XP95 that I fill, but not worth the price of the XP100 petrol.

Last edited by tharian : 7th October 2022 at 14:52.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2022, 17:48   #368
BHPian

I own a Skoda Kushaq 1.0 TSI whose rated fuel as indicated on the inner side of the fuel lid is 95 RON and a minimum of 91 RON.
Speed 97 and High RON petrol discussion thread-fuel-lid.jpeg
I have filled only XP95 for the last 4-5 tankfuls and can confidently state that there is quite a difference that I notice with this fuel. The major differences:-
1. Pickup - Roughly 10% improvement.
2. Engine Note and Vibrations - Tremendous difference here! The engine clatter because of being a 3-cylinder is reduced to a great extent along with the vibration levels. Also, I notice that engine lugging is reduced when driven at lower revs in higher gears.
3. Fuel Economy - The best part of filling in XP95 Petrol. I get roughly 1.5 Kmpl more on this fuel and I have checked and confirmed it multiple times using the tank-to-tank method. This literally offsets the extra cost that I pay per liter (i.e Rs.6) for XP95 over regular petrol.

That being said, I would also like to share the experience of my cousin who on my recommendation tried this fuel in his Creta 1.6 Petrol which is recommended to be run on 91 RON. He noticed no difference in power/ fuel economy but a bit of a smoother ride (which we both believe might just be a placebo).

So, to conclude, If your vehicle manufacturer recommends 91RON, filling 95RON is just a waste of money as the improvement noticed might just be a placebo or very less in reality.
On the other hand, if 95RON is recommended by the manufacturer, then filling XP95 is totally worth it both in terms of performance as well as fuel economy. Also, this might prolong the life of the fuel injectors and thus the engine, thus even saving money in longer run.

-Ranvir
Rambo-RS is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 00:25   #369
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
. I did feel some increase in smoothness in my bike more than the usual XP95 that I fill, but not worth the price of the XP100 petrol.
Now that you mention it yeah I do recall feeling it was smoother, but at +160/- per litre a total waste of money!
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2022, 22:15   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Now that you mention it yeah I do recall feeling it was smoother, but at +160/- per litre a total waste of money!
The Gypsy doesn’t require high octane petrol. I use only normal Petrol in my Gypsy. Same goes for my 2021 Thar. These vehicles engines are all designed to run on the normal petrol that we get across the country. After all they are meant to be used in the remote areas and are basically ‘go anywhere’ . They are like workhorses, pack horses or mules which are not too picky about their feed and fodder.

XP95 and XP100 make a palpable difference in on the other hand to the performance of my Cooper. And it is clearly mentioned in the lid of the petrol tank that this car can manage max 10% ethanol and a minimum fuel Octane rating of 91. The big issue here is that in India, a lot of the fuel is adulterated and/ or questionable. A lot has been written about these facts on this thread itself. That’s why I prefer filling the more trustworthy XP 95 and XP 100. Between the two, XP95 makes more sense as it is far more affordable. I also add a bottle of STP Octane Boost to every tankful I fill in my Cooper. Now that car, being more of a race horse, definitely requires its special feed and additional vitamins and supplements for better performance.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 8th October 2022 at 22:17.
shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 06:41   #371
BHPian

I have been using XP 95 exclusively for my XUV 700 and my cb 350.Tge engine seems to be comparatively smooth on both vehicles when I compare them to my friends vehicles. I cannot comment about xp 100 for I have never used it.
rajeevsulu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 09:40   #372
BHPian

Just curious are these high RON fuel ethanol blended ? If not, when E20 norms set in, will these high RON fuel continue to be non blended ?
SR-71 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2022, 15:31   #373
BHPian

I’ve been using XP95 in my City CVT and the car felt noticeably peppier. I thought it was just a placebo but when my friend drove my car today, he asked me, “what did you upgrade on your car?” (FYI he owns the same gen City too, albeit MT). I’m definitely sticking with XP95 here onwards, even if the ivtec is a naturally aspirated engine with 91 RON recommendation. Moreover, the MID shows improved mileage figures too, which sort of negates the higher initial costs.
shibulijack is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 00:35   #374
Distinguished - BHPian

Mumbai Suburbs update:

New IOC pump has come up on JVLR, right before Seepz.

It’s one of the biggest pumps I have seen in Mumbai, others feel way small in comparison.

They offer both XtraGreen Diesel and XP95.

I was looking for a IOC pump near Powai that would offer me XP95, but none were there except the one opposite IIT Bombay. This pump has been caught selling adulterated petrol earlier so didn’t want to take a risk with this pump at all.

Feeling happy that this new one has come up and is offering XP95.
Old 15th October 2022, 02:01   #375
Senior - BHPian

Planning a small outing hence topped up the Cooper yesterday with XP95 at the IOCL pump in HSR on 19th Main. It costs Rs 109 per litre now as can be seen.
The lady owner is usually around in the early-ish mornings and the staff are friendly and nice. I believe the Petrol is trustworthy. I always add one can of the STP Power Booster Octane Boost to the tank while filling up. It’s just better for this car overall.
My beloved racehorse requires quality fodder and vitamins!
Attached Thumbnails
Speed 97 and High RON petrol discussion thread-2e3653a3f6b84d25a7b9ecadb0d896ce.jpeg  

Speed 97 and High RON petrol discussion thread-b8bac83ee922471ab9006ebfd1e42c3f.jpeg  

Speed 97 and High RON petrol discussion thread-dadd9777fefd415cae147f434d5b53c5.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks