Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2022, 16:04   #346
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Speed 97 and High RON petrol discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhushan08 View Post
IOCL has been changing the XP95 dispensing machines. The new machine nozzle does not fit my BMW X3 fuel inlet part.
Pictures please! First time I'm hearing this. In the Yelahanka area at least, nothing has changed. I'll check with the local IOCL manager and revert.
Old 13th August 2022, 18:49   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Pictures please! First time I'm hearing this. In the Yelahanka area at least, nothing has changed. I'll check with the local IOCL manager and revert.
Will get the pics. It has happened at two stations close to my home. At one place, they got an external fuel nozzle and filled up by putting the pump nozzle on that. The second one (IOCL, HAL) said he had no device and the nozzle will not fit in. I was surprised as well and when asked he showed me the older xp95 dispensing machine lying at the corner of the pump and said IOCL is replacing these machines and the new machines has this wider nozzle!
bhushan08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 11:10   #348
BHPian

Quote:
I'm facing a peculiar problem. IOCL has been changing the XP95 dispensing machines. The new machine nozzle does not fit my BMW X3 fuel inlet part.

Anyone else facing this issue. What can be work around? Which petrol of HP/BP might be a good substitute for XP95?
Yes, I also saw this. The dispenser for IOCL Bellandur pump is too wide to fit into my fuel tank inlet. As a workaround, they used a funnel to fill, a clumsy workaround. Had to monitor it does not put any scratches while filling. And to avoid any splashes or overflowing, they fill it very slowly. The car owner behind me became impatient while filling those 60 odd liters of RON 95 rated petrol!
OffRoadFun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 17:08   #349
BHPian

I filled the XP95 in IOCL Sarjapur road, Blr outlet for my X1. It might be in my head but it did seem a smoother ride than my previous fill of Shell V-Power.

Its my first attempt at IOCL after having hated them for years, but at this price point is worth it as the price differential with Shell is huge and the premium over regular fuel is not significant.

Let me check the mileage once the tank is empty.
Pseud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 14:07   #350

Whoa. That's some exhaustive reading right there for a component that's so vital for our rides and yet I believe that at least 90%+ of car owners choose to not look into this simple yet important fact; or maybe they just don't have the time to read up on such information.

So I own and a Baleno Zeta 2021 (non SHVS) which has a K12M engine and is running on a compression ratio of 11.5:1 (Wikipedia); and on the basis of all the read-up I've done on this forum, I shouldn't be using anything which has an octane number less than 97 to get peak performance from the motor or in other words 'to keep the engine happy'.

Seniors, Mods and whoever can shed more light on this, please do so.
Old 18th August 2022, 18:07   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
My ten year old Mini Cooper S specifies a minimum Octane Rating of 91 - this is written inside the fuel tank opener lid. I understand that all petrol in India is of Octane Rating 91. (I d love to receive corroboration of this)

This little car runs on the N18 engine which was made by Peugeot and BMW. This is a 1.6 litre high compression turbo charged engine.
I am driving a 2013 BMW 116i (F20), with the exact same engine (N13), just that it is mounted longitudinally, and the power goes to the rear wheels.

But yes, this is indeed a high compression engine. Even stock, this engine was just never designed to run on the fuel that was widely available in India at the time of launch. For these CKD models, BMW just decided to put a sticker on the filler cap that says Petrol: 91-98 RON Recommended and call it a day. If you fed it regular fuel, you'd end up with what Mr. Shankar Balan has experienced in the past.

I have switched over to 97-octane only. Given that my car is also running a Stage 2 tune that is optimized for that specific RON.

You can find out more about how she runs and drives, (2013 BMW (F20) 116i | 230 BHP + 330 Nm in a true (READ:RWD) Hot Hatchback)here, in my ownership report of the vehicle. A genuine automotive unicorn that actually made it to our shores.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 18th August 2022 at 18:30. Reason: Trimming quoted post; kindly quote only relevant sections of the post.
n:CorE is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 08:16   #352
BHPian

Quote:
I'm facing a peculiar problem. IOCL has been changing the XP95 dispensing machines. The new machine nozzle does not fit my BMW X3 fuel inlet part. Thus, I am unable to fill in XP95. I have tried all bunks around me including COCO bunks in the HSR/ORR area.
Hi, faced the same issue at the IOC pump in ITP, neap SAP Labs. I have a grand I10 and attendant said nozzle won't fit. After arguing for 3-4 minutes, finally just filled regular. Just wondering if they have a list of which cars it would fit? Hearing about bigger nozzles was strange as I thought this would be a standard size.
Old 14th September 2022, 12:34   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaleen View Post
Hi, faced the same issue at the IOC pump in ITP, neap SAP Labs. I have a grand I10 and attendant said nozzle won't fit. After arguing for 3-4 minutes, finally just filled regular. Just wondering if they have a list of which cars it would fit? Hearing about bigger nozzles was strange as I thought this would be a standard size.
The latest I got to know from one IOCL close by is that they have deployed diesel nozzle in new machines and replacement will come soon. But it has been two months now and Indian Oil hasn't replaced it!

What can be the right substitute for XP95 from HP/BP?
Old 14th September 2022, 13:47   #354
BHPian

Quote:
HP/BP have no product as an alternate to XP95 of iocl. BP has speed 97, HP has power 100 both with a pricing far more then XP95
Old 17th September 2022, 20:07   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
HP/BP have no product as an alternate to XP95 of iocl. BP has speed 97, HP has power 100 both with a pricing far more then XP95
Believe HP has Power 99, costing around Rs.145/L last time I checked) which is still less than Rs.160/L that IOCL charges for XP100.

Quote:
Like what Born 2 Be Wild said, no direct alternatives. However, there are RON boosters available in the market but in my view, we are better off using XP95/Speed97/Power99/XP100, cost wise and also risk wise.

Last edited by asmr : 17th September 2022 at 20:11. Reason: Forgot to use Quote+
asmr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 22:03   #356
Distinguished - BHPian

Have permanently switched to XP95 for my Slavia and Ninja and Xtragreen for my Crysta. Both these fuels make a considerable difference to the performance, ease of acceleration and with the diesel the reduced clatter. Even Speed 97 hasn't given the sort of results in my Slavia that XP95 has.

I just hope IOC doesn't stop selling this citing poor demand.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 23:12   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
But Power100 has been very dependable. I was happy that XP95 was becoming so widely available since my Monster absolutely hates regular unleaded fuel esp with it now coming with Ethanol. Then I filled XP95 from not 1 but 2 pumps and it was probably adulterated or just regular Ron91 maybe and the bike ran so crappy. Then I found XP100 and it runs normal again.

I have never faced this issue in last 4urs when I used to fill Power100 mostly since nothing to except regular unleaded was easily available. Even Speed97 has never given me issues ever.
Old 18th September 2022, 07:19   #358
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
...Then I filled XP95 from not 1 but 2 pumps and it was probably adulterated or just regular Ron91 maybe and the bike ran so crappy. Then I found XP100 and it runs normal again.

I have never faced this issue in last 4urs when I used to fill Power100 mostly since nothing to except regular unleaded was easily available. Even Speed97 has never given me issues ever.
This is an important point. I too feel that XP95 has higher chances of adulteration or RON91 is being sold as XP95. The advantage of wider availability of XP95 is not of much use if the quality is not consistent. I was using Shell regular petrol with my S Class (recommended RON95) and was getting consistent mileage every time but since I have switched to XP95 and filling up from different IOC outlets, FE has been very erratic. This takes me back to the dark ages of pre-Shell days where I used to be very anxious about quality of fuel. I wish Shell introduces higher RON fuel - no idea why they don't do it yet.
Old 18th September 2022, 07:57   #359
BHPian

Quote:
have switched to XP95 and filling up from different IOC outlets, FE has been very erratic
Same thing happens to my tuned Polo. Whenever I fill XP95 the FE goes down. I thought it was just me being heavy on the right foot with this subconscious thought of having better fuel in the tank.

Last edited by corvus corax : 18th September 2022 at 08:00.
Old 18th September 2022, 08:16   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
This is an important point. I too feel that XP95 has higher chances of adulteration or RON91 is being sold as XP95. The advantage of wider availability of XP95 is not of much use if the quality is not consistent. I was using Shell regular petrol with my S Class (recommended RON95) and was getting consistent mileage every time but since I have switched to XP95 and filling up from different IOC outlets, FE has been very erratic. This takes me back to the dark ages of pre-Shell days where I used to be very anxious about quality of fuel. I wish Shell introduces higher RON fuel - no idea why they don't do it yet.
I have seen a pump dispensing normal unleaded petrol from the XP95 dispenser. Upon confronting the staff, he said they are yet to receive the new stock of XP95 from the refinery and the usual dispenser of normal fuel isn`t working. To the full credit of the petrol pump, they weren`t charging the price of XP95 for RON91 fuel. So if they can redirect normal fuel into the XP95 dispenser under these circumstances then out of greed they can definitely put normal fuel for the price of XP95 also. I have filed a grievance in the IOCL portal asking for an explanation and I am yet to get a response.

Last edited by DragonHawk : 18th September 2022 at 08:17.
DragonHawk is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks