Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2021, 18:57   #301
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Speed 97 and high RON petrol discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
I think xp95 is gone! There is no more of it in Bangalore! Normal fuel now is around 108.xx ish, which was 104.xx before and the xp95 that was 109.xx is no more available!
The pumps have been rebranded as xp100 and that is close to 160/-

Bad move from an enthusiast's perspective, I was so happy filling it in my bike and car!
I doubt that would be the case. You can install Indian oil one app and locate their outlets that sell XP95. The app also provides contact numbers so you can call and find out the availability.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 19:24   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
I think xp95 is gone! There is no more of it in Bangalore! Normal fuel now is around 108.xx ish, which was 104.xx before and the xp95 that was 109.xx is no more available!
The pumps have been rebranded as xp100 and that is close to 160/-

Bad move from an enthusiast's perspective, I was so happy filling it in my bike and car!
It could be the case only with the pumps you have used. I filled up XP95 on Sunday evening at ~112. I still see XP95 being available on IOCL website in all the pumps I had checked before.

It'd be a brain dead move to force every XP95 pump to move to XP100 as only a handful of filthy rich would fill it up at 160.

On the topic of XP100: The pump opposite to Mantri Mall stocks XP100 now as per IOCL website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
I drive a r15v3, the bike comes with a somewhat high 11.6:1 compression ratio but Yamaha has claimed it to run fine with normal petrol and that is what i have been running with zero issues whatsoever.

Will i however gain anything at all with switching to XP95? Especially since to the best of my knowledge the bike does not come with a knock sensor and hence the ECU has no way to detect any knock and retard timing/increase fuel flow automatically, conversely i guess it won't be able to detect a higher octane fuel and make adjustments accordingly to extract more power and should continue to run on the Indian fuel map yamaha must have programmed in.

Can someone with knowledge on this confirm?
I'd say, do a few tankfulls with XP95 and check if you feel any noticeable improvement in engine response at low and high RPMs. If not, check if you notice any FE improvements. If you don't notice either, you can always go back to regular fuel.

Last edited by theredliner : 12th October 2021 at 19:27.
Old 29th December 2021, 09:13   #303
BHPian

Here is my feedback on XP95:

- Palio GTX: acceleration slightly improved. But the car now sometimes hesitates when picking up from 25kph in 3rd gear. Nothing has changed, except the fuel. Maybe a hole in the injection/ ignition map. Will revert to 91

- Civic CVT: marginal improvement in acceleration, but barely there. Perhaps the CVT masks any feeling of improvement. Might revert to 91

- Jazz 1.2 MT: most improvement in acceleration with XP95, especially between 1300-2500 rpm. Will stick to XP95 for sure. Strongly recommended.

- City ZX not tried yet
vipul_singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 09:42   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_singh View Post
Here is my feedback on XP95:

- Palio GTX: acceleration slightly improved. But the car now sometimes hesitates when picking up from 25kph in 3rd gear. Nothing has changed, except the fuel. Maybe a hole in the injection/ ignition map. Will revert to 91

- Civic CVT: marginal improvement in acceleration, but barely there. Perhaps the CVT masks any feeling of improvement. Might revert to 91

- Jazz 1.2 MT: most improvement in acceleration with XP95, especially between 1300-2500 rpm. Will stick to XP95 for sure. Strongly recommended.

- City ZX not tried yet
Unless your vehicle is specifically made for RON 95/97 (higher compression ratio engine), putting higher octane rating fuel will only have a placebo effect to the actual functioning of the vehicle. The cleaning additives that are added to the premium fuel might mean your spark plugs and other combustion chamber elements are running cleaner, hence the performance boost that you are feeling. If you go back to RON 91 fuel, the performance gain will most probably be still felt.

Higher octane fuel is only for higher compression ratio engines, to help avoid knocking. Lower compression indian spec models will technically see no improvement purely due to RON rating increase.
kosjam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 09:54   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosjam View Post
The cleaning additives that are added to the premium fuel might mean your spark plugs and other combustion chamber elements are running cleaner, hence the performance boost that you are feeling.

Higher octane fuel is only for higher compression ratio engines, to help avoid knocking.
I have used cleaning additives before, and in my experience, they take longer to take effect. Besides, the Jazz has done only 50k KMs so far.

Also, what compression ratio qualifies being considered 'high'?
Old 29th December 2021, 10:29   #306
BHPian

Quote:
I have used cleaning additives before, and in my experience, they take longer to take effect. Besides, the Jazz has done only 50k KMs so far.

Also, what compression ratio qualifies being considered 'high'?

"The higher the compression ratio, the higher the octane value. For example, fuel with RON 90 is designated for vehicles with 9-10 compression ratio. For a 10-11 compression ratio, it is recommended to use RON 92. While the compression ratio for 11-12, it is best to use RON 95."

Source:
https://www.bp.com/en_id/indonesia/h...otorcycle.html

While this article talks about motorcycles, the RON vs compression ratio will remain the same across all types of petrol engines.

The following article from the economist is an interesting read too. Especially the last paragraph...

https://www.economist.com/babbage/20...-needs-premium

Last edited by kosjam : 29th December 2021 at 10:32.
kosjam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2021, 11:06   #307
BHPian

Does Shell have any plans to offer RON95 petrol in India? I recently took delivery of a VW Polo TSI and refilled it thrice till date with Shell V Power. Now I see its only RON91 - although the fuel is quite clean.

I will try xp95 for some days. Can I be assured that IOC xp95 will not have any impurities? Currently in Bangalore
Old 29th December 2021, 12:12   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosjam View Post
"The higher the compression ratio, the higher the octane value. For example, fuel with RON 90 is designated for vehicles with 9-10 compression ratio. For a 10-11 compression ratio, it is recommended to use RON 92. While the compression ratio for 11-12, it is best to use RON 95."

So the compression ratio on the Jazz' 1.2 engine is 10.2 according to my research. Maybe that is why I feel the difference.
Old 29th December 2021, 12:26   #309
BHPian

Quote:
So the compression ratio on the Jazz' 1.2 engine is 10.2 according to my research. Maybe that is why I feel the difference.
I suggest you try something. If your system already has RON 95/97, you can do a speed run, for example, accelerating from 20-60 kph on a straight level road, in the 3rd gear (should be safe enough) at 9:00pm. Time it.

After your tank is empty, fill up the tank with regular 91 petrol, and try the same test at the same time of the day/night(temperature of the petrol can affect density at injection.)
Comparing the difference in time taken gives us an accurate and factual picture.
You will remove "feel" from the experience, and tangible evidence will be there, to tell you if spending a premium is actually worth it.
And of course, please share here as well. Real world evidence always trumps theoretical knowledge.

Basically, as a rule of thumb, if a particular petrol does not knock, it is good enough for your vehicle. Its not like higher RON fuel has more power in it...

Last edited by kosjam : 29th December 2021 at 12:39. Reason: incomplete suggestion...
Old 29th December 2021, 19:08   #310
BHPian

Hi, Can we start a thread where we all post google pins of XP 95 / XP 100 or any other high octane fuel bunks across the country.
This will help Petrol car owners running high octane fuel full time.
We could post a google link and the respective state, city which we could search the thread during travel.
Old 29th December 2021, 19:37   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbardhan View Post
Can I be assured that IOC xp95 will not have any impurities? Currently in Bangalore
I usually fill XP95, and it is quite good. I do see some mileage and NVH improvement on XP95.

Make sure you fill from a decent petrol bunk and it should be fine.
prajwalmr62 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 12:47   #312
UMe
BHPian

Did tankful of XP95 petrol on my 1st gen 2010 model Maruti Swift and travelled about 550 kms on "Bangalore-Kannur(Kerala)-Mysore" highway. The mileage was a whopping 19.42 km/l (Tank full to Tank full method on Drivvo app)

Usually highway travel gives me a mileage of about 16-17 km/l max. But mileage of 19.42 km/l is probably for the first time that I got for a 2010 model swift.

Also, happy with the feel for extra power on acceleration. I might stick with XP95 petrol for highway run.
Old 15th March 2022, 22:14   #313
Senior - BHPian

Is XP95 a blended fuel with ethanol? I would like to know if xp95 has zero ethanol content to know if it is a better option for older vehicle made for unblended fuel.
Old 15th March 2022, 22:37   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Is XP95 a blended fuel with ethanol? I would like to know if xp95 has zero ethanol content to know if it is a better option for older vehicle made for unblended fuel.
Every petrol fuel as on date is ethanol blended including power 100/xp100/speed97
Old 15th March 2022, 22:41   #315
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMe View Post
Did tankful of XP95 petrol on my 1st gen 2010 model Maruti Swift and travelled about 550 kms on "Bangalore-Kannur(Kerala)-Mysore" highway. The mileage was a whopping 19.42 km/l (Tank full to Tank full method on Drivvo app).
Same with my SX4. With XP95, I can see a serious increase in mileage. I have never calculated tankfull to tankfull, but typically regular petrol would last only around 420kms for a fuelling of around 40L, but now that crosses 500kms easily. The premium paid is worth it since the car is also eager to accelerate and much smoother.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks