Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2021, 15:37   #226
BHPian

Re: Speed 97 and high RON petrol discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Is there a difference between STP and Proctane?
Pricing wise STP is nearly half the price, esp if you buy a 12 pack it works out to Rs.385 bottle of 354ml each while Proctane is Rs.600 for a 300ml bottle.
The only way to actually test would be to datalog with STP and compare. I do believe Proctane works to some extent but if it really boosted octane by 7 on a 1.5% blend, I wouldn't have seen the timing issues that I have seen. Butt dynos are not really the right way to test in this case so unless someone is willing to datalog with both STP and Proctane on their own car we won't know. Boostane sold in the US is supposed to be the best octane booster so if you're able to find an importer for that, I'll recommend going for it rather than these two.
dealer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 14:26   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Many people have reported a colour coating on engine with prolonged usage of BP. Better use HP or the Proctane. Just add to regular 91 fuel.
This is a little worrying, Could you please elaborate further?

Just started using speed 97 for my remapped JTP, and seeing the noticeable difference in smoothness and performance I have recommended that my father switch to the same on his X3 30i.

Is speed 97 to be avoided altogether then?
Old 17th February 2021, 14:53   #228
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Is there a difference between STP and Proctane?
[/b]
STP bottle does not say specifically on how much Octane will it increase. It just says " Treats up to 28 Gallons" so I won't consider it as a true octane booster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
Could you please elaborate further?
Is speed 97 to be avoided altogether then?
Both STP and Speed 97 have MMT and leave orange deposits on pistons/ turbo / plugs. This is per view of most of the tuners. I don't have any personal experiences, unfortunately, google does not throw up any useful information either.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 14:53   #229
Distinguished - BHPian

I checked with my contacts of senior folks in Porsche Bangalore service and AMG Bangalore service and both said they have not come across any engine/exhaust issues due to Speed 97. I shared the posts from this thread and they said nothing to worry. A friend also checked with Racetech and received similar reply. I feel reasonably confident about this fuel given that Speed 97 has been around in Bangalore for a long time and is used by a many vehicle owners. It is the most accessible (price and logistics) fuel for me and I like the FE and range I get with it. Mine is an old N.A engine, can't sweat more than this :-)
androdev is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 15:06   #230
BHPian

Speed 97 would leave orange deposits on your spark plugs etc. but I have spoken to quite a few tuners who say that except the colour, there is absolutely no problem in using Speed 97 daily.
dealer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 22:59   #231
BHPian

Its like an urban legend to say the least, bpcl uses a colour dye to give an light orangish tinge to speed 97 to demarcate it over their normal petrol ,power 99 (hpcl)and xp100 (iocl) dont so they cant be demarcated against normal petrol, which again uses a colour dye otherwise normal petrol without a colour dye is like water
How i say this is because i sell fuel for a living
Born 2 Be Wild is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 23:19   #232
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
I
How i say this is because i sell fuel for a living
That's nice to hear. Tell us, is it a fact that IOCL refines 100 octanes at Mathura, unlike BP or HPCL which add additives? Or is it the same with everybody?

Which octane boosters will you recommend if we don't have access to such premium fuels and of all these 97/99 & 100 - what makes the most sense?
Old 17th February 2021, 23:28   #233
BHPian

Quote:
That's nice to hear. Tell us, is it a fact that IOCL refines 100 octanes at Mathura, unlike BP or HPCL which add additives? Or is it the same with everybody?

Which octane boosters will you recommend if we don't have access to such premium fuels and of all these 97/99 & 100 - what makes the most sense?
All 3 add additives for higher octane ratings, otherwise whats holding iocl back from shouting from the top of their lungs that they refine it, they choose to quitely omit that fact from their website or press release!

Out of the 3 speed 97 makes the most sense cost wise and not much of a difference ron wise considering 99.99% of users seldom utilize their machines for what they are capable of

Just had a word with our refinery rep , he says iocl claims they have a new blending process at the mathura refinery ,they call it octamax but apart from the press mumbo jumbo they arent divulging much, most probably its a blend and not refined as it wont justify the cost, will post any update i get.

Last edited by Born 2 Be Wild : 17th February 2021 at 23:37.
Born 2 Be Wild is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 23:39   #234
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
All 3 add additives for higher octane ratings, otherwise whats holding iocl back from shouting from the top of their lungs that they refine it.
Correct, they have mentioned about a process which incidentally dates back to 2018.

Quote:
Out of the 3 speed 97 makes the most sense cost wise and not much of a difference ron wise
Thanks. Does someone actually measure and publish RON for different fuels or we have to go with what manufacturers say?

And from where we get Speed97, I tried in gurgaon, apparently no one keeps. Any pump in Delhi that you are aware and current prices?
Old 17th February 2021, 23:45   #235
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks. Does someone actually measure and publish RON for different fuels or we have to go with what manufacturers say?

And from where we get Speed97, I tried in gurgaon, apparently no one keeps. Any pump in Delhi that you are aware and current prices?
Well sir companies are pretty strict about ron ratings so rest assured if it says speed 97 it is min 97! On a minimum a pump in delhi is sampled 3 times a year for fuel sample quality from each tank! Speed 97 is available in most pumps in south delhi. I am not so sure about gurgaon. Reading your post you refuelled xp100 at iocl niti marg, bpcl gymkhana opp pm house has speed 97, so does bpcl moti bagh.
Born 2 Be Wild is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 21:28   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

Indian Oil rolls out 95 octane petrol

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-petrol-420689

IOC introduces RON95 fuel for only Re. 1 more than Xtra Premium so around 4 bucks more than normal.

Last edited by itwasntme : 2nd May 2021 at 21:32.
itwasntme is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 21:54   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On a minimum a pump in delhi is sampled 3 times a year for fuel sample quality from each tank!.
Who or what determines the sample frequency? Time, volume sold, size of the tank?

Who takes the sample. The owner of the pump, the supplier, the petrol company?

Who does the testing? Supplier, Petrol company, independent lab, governement institution?

What is it tested for and how do they test?

Is there some law/regulations about how and when and to what extend fuel gets tested in India?

Thanks
Jeroen
Old 2nd May 2021, 22:26   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Indian Oil rolls out 95 octane petrol

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...-petrol-420689

IOC introduces RON95 fuel for only Re. 1 more than Xtra Premium so around 4 bucks more than normal.
I hope this makes BP reduce the speed 97 price as the differential for 2 RON more is nearly 20% per litre

Last edited by Sahil : 2nd May 2021 at 22:29.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 23:25   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Who or what determines the sample frequency? Time, volume sold, size of the tank?

Who takes the sample. The owner of the pump, the supplier, the petrol company?

Who does the testing? Supplier, Petrol company, independent lab, governement institution?

What is it tested for and how do they test?

Is there some law/regulations about how and when and to what extend fuel gets tested in India?

Thanks
Jeroen
Sum of your questions in the answer below.

Samples taken from tanks of dealers by the oil companies/govt agencies namely food and civil supplies

Frequency of samples- every quarter,that is 4 times a year.

What it is tested for- it is tested for octane rating and adulteration, my last test revealed octane rating of 92.9 as against a prescribed limit of minimum 91

What it is tested for- Its tested for octane rating and adulteration.

How do they test- I have absolutely no
Clue.

Is their a law on how and when and when a pump is tested- Yes there is its a minimum once a year period, here in delhi for me its almost 4 times a year so once every quarter
Born 2 Be Wild is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 00:44   #240
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is their a law on how and when and when a pump is tested- Yes there is its a minimum once a year period, here in delhi for me its almost 4 times a year so once every quarter

Thanks for all your prompt answer. In all honesty I was not quite aware on how fuel is monitored in Europe. Far less samples it seems. Pumps are randomly choose, frequency during winter season is higher then summer season.

I was surprised to see they test for 19 different parameter on petrol and 7 parameters on diesel.

Here are the result, which gives you some idea on what they test and how often errors are detected. All testing is carried out by appointed agencies/labs. on behalf of the respective EU governments. With the exception of Belgium you will see the number of samples is quite low relative to the country size.

Speed 97 and High RON petrol discussion thread-screenshot-20210502-9.04.50-pm.png

Speed 97 and High RON petrol discussion thread-screenshot-20210502-9.05.00-pm.png

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks