Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2021, 22:15   #211
BHPian

Re: Speed 97 and high RON petrol discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Oh your post makes me feel a bit better I paid Rs108.74/L today for BP Speed 97 in Bangalore and I thought everything is expensive in Bangalore.

Folks from Hyd:
Where can we get high RON petrol in Hyderabad?
Sadly, we get only XP100 and Power99 here in Jaipur. Cost savings of speed97 is absolutely what's needed right now and bp should definitely cash in on this opportunity.
Old 8th January 2021, 22:28   #212
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer View Post
With two successive increases of 11 and 12 rupees respectively over the last 12 days, power99 fuel is now priced at Rs.144.68/litre
in Jaipur
Same story in Delhi, I paid Rs125 on Jan1 and it appears it’s even more now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I paid Rs108.74/L today for BP Speed 97 in Bangalore
Where can we get high RON petrol in Hyderabad?
Many people have reported a colour coating on engine with prolonged usage of BP. Better use HP or the Proctane. Just add to regular 91 fuel.

Quote:
Cost savings of speed97 is absolutely what's needed right now.
Everyone in India uses octane boosters, so I believe it’s safe to add at our place. I got a new box of proctane this week and intend to move completely. No use of paying 50% over regular.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 22:42   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Many people have reported a colour coating on engine with prolonged usage of BP. Better use HP or the Proctane. Just add to regular 91 fuel.
Oh. Just when I thought I have figured out my drill! Let me find more about this Proctane option!
Old 8th January 2021, 22:42   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

About availability:

The IOC bunk near Elita Promenade in JP Nagar 7th Phase has XP100.

Note: I regularly go there for diesel, and they have one dispenser marked XP100
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 23:37   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Everyone in India uses octane boosters, so I believe it’s safe to add at our place. I got a new box of proctane this week and intend to move completely. No use of paying 50% over regular.
Definitely shifting to regular fuel + proctane on next fill up. Current pricing of high octane fuel is absolutely insane!
Old 22nd January 2021, 13:49   #216
BHPian

So I'll be filling up on a combination of regular fuel + proctane for my stage 1 320i and was wondering whether I should use regular petrol or speed in this case? I'll be sticking to the local BP COCO pump and I'm planning to use a 1.5% proctane blend so that I can safely run my 95 RON tune. So would speed with it's additives work better with proctane or regular+proctane should be fine? I would also be testing for ignition timing corrections and knocks on the 1.5% blend which should be interesting.
Old 22nd January 2021, 14:07   #217
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
whether I should use regular petrol or speed in this case?
I use one bottle of Proctane with 25 Ltr of regular fuel from co. owned or Reliance pump as I am not sure of the base octane number we get .

As per the info. on the Proctane can, we get a boost of 4 octane using one bottle with 30 ltr of fuel. Coming to your question of using a regular or additive added fuels, I always use regular as BMW recommends fuels without additives. Adding Proctane is not the same as adding any additives/ cleaners. If you must use additional additives, stick with what BMW sells via dealerships.

Last edited by Turbanator : 22nd January 2021 at 14:09.
Old 22nd January 2021, 14:49   #218
BHPian

Who manufactures Proctane and how reliable is it vs say STP octane booster?
Old 22nd January 2021, 15:58   #219
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd de Souza View Post
Honestly, I have been using hearing good things on certain groups. So, based on your question, I asked the guy at Proctane and he provided this information.

Quote..
Proctane is repackaged in India, it is the only octane booster which is tested on indian fuel and conditions.
Petrol RON test done on CFR engine by Indian Institute of petroleum Dehradun
UnQuote..

I asked him to provide the copy of certificate, which he did.

Speed 97 and High RON petrol discussion thread-whatsapp-image-20210122-3.32.17-pm-1.jpeg

Till around last month, I was using Proctane on long distances drives, where chances of getting Speed 99 were less. However for past few weeks, after IOCL launch @ 160, other companies have decided to increase the prices (to support IOCL, I guess ) So I have stopped using premium fuel altogether.

He also sent me this price comparison. Hope this is useful.

Speed 97 and High RON petrol discussion thread-whatsapp-image-20210122-3.32.17-pm.jpeg

Last edited by Turbanator : 22nd January 2021 at 16:01.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 16:23   #220
BHPian

This is daylight robbery. Speed 97 and Power 99 were already crazily overpriced at Rs.20 over the 91 RON crap. These IOC guys came up with a stupid price and the HP chaps followed it. These overpriced stuff already used to sit for ages and degrade due to very low demand in most pumps. This will cause the demand to go down even more resulting in more HP pumps not offering it. (The one in Yalahanka, Bengaluru had stopped selling P99 last time I checked). I was waiting for IOC to come and intensify the market. They instead ended up ruining it.

IIRC, BS6 petrol was meant to be 95 RON standard as per the initial spec. The govt then ruined the plans stating it will increase the prices as if they are worried a lot about the customers taking a hit of 2-3 rupees increase! The dumb planning guys at Shell should be fired for selling V-Power as 91 crap with additives at 10-12 rupees over market price. If they had offered 95/98 at that range like in other countries, superbikers and many turbo petrol owners would have asked for it themselves without the attendants hassling every customer to try it like they do now.

Speed 97 has been at 20Rs premium and I have been filling it the last few times in my 12.6:1 engined motorcycle. I honestly don't want to go back to the regular stuff but it's only a matter of time before BPCL too increases its price.

Only good thing is the IOCL guy mentioning recently about their plans to increase the rating of the base fuel from 91. Hope they take it to 95 so that we can let the filthy rich Lamborghini Ferrari types get ripped off with the 99, 100 ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd de Souza View Post
STP apparently doesn't increase the rating by even 1 full number. It does make the engine perform better though. I believe it contains MMT which is harmful for the catalytic converter.

Last edited by Aditya : 25th August 2021 at 05:14. Reason: Toning down
theredliner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 19:15   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Quote..
Proctane is repackaged in India, it is the only octane booster which is tested on indian fuel and conditions.
Petrol RON test done on CFR engine by Indian Institute of petroleum Dehradun
UnQuote..

I asked him to provide the copy of certificate, which he did.
Yes, my experience with proctane has been good too and with the recent price increase, a 1.5% blend is what I'm going to go with. It would've been great if they tested for MON values too since modern turbocharged engines are more sensitive to MON. The owner of proctane said that the proctane boosts MON too but unknown by how much exactly.
Old 23rd January 2021, 18:16   #222
BHPian

Proctane 1.5% Blend vs Power99 Comparison
So after filling up with BP Regular fuel with a 1.5% Proctane blend from a COCO pump, here's result -
Stock Tune
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=600c...729b5687b67360
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=600c...90c662d69ccadd
Stage 1 91 ACN
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=600c...729b570c2b11e8
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=600c...0b4320bdf1e8f7

As visible from the above logs, there are excessive ignition timing corrections even on stock map. Below is my experience with Power99 -
Stage 1 91 ACN
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f0e...0b4329c2c4834f
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f19...0b4377a7aa7748
Stage 1 91 ACN with 1% Proctane
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5fee...0b431a1b66bdcc
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5fee...729b406cb660dd

Atleast for my car, Power99 works way better than any additive so I'm going to revert to high octane fuel from the next fill up.

Last edited by dealer : 23rd January 2021 at 18:17.
dealer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 18:39   #223
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Atleast for my car, Power99 works way better than any additive so I'm going to revert to high octane fuel from the next fill up.
Thanks, can you explain in more details on how to read these graphs? And how do you get this information.

Do you think Reliance plus Proctane will be better over IOL or HP regular? I am asking this due to my recent experience on a long drive from Gurgoan to Chandigarh and back. I can note better mileage on Reliance.

Last edited by Turbanator : 23rd January 2021 at 18:41.
Old 23rd January 2021, 19:13   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, can you explain in more details on how to read these graphs? And how do you get this information.

Do you think Reliance plus Proctane will be better over IOL or HP regular? I am asking this due to my recent experience on a long drive from Gurgoan to Chandigarh and back. I can note better mileage on Reliance.
Hey,
Here's a guide on reading datalogs -
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1732327

I haven't experienced reliance tbh so I cannot comment. As long as you stick to COCO pumps, it shouldn't make much of a difference.
dealer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 14:50   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

Is there a difference between STP and Proctane?
Pricing wise STP is nearly half the price, esp if you buy a 12 pack it works out to Rs.385 bottle of 354ml each while Proctane is Rs.600 for a 300ml bottle.

Last edited by Sahil : 12th February 2021 at 14:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks