Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2020, 20:03   #196
BHPian

Re: Speed 97 and high RON petrol discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by katil.garage View Post

Also where can I find 97 RON in Delhi (mainly around the airport).

Thanks for your time!
Some pumps in Chanakyapuri/Moti Bagh area dispense higher RON fuel. I have a 18 month old Superb which needs 95 but I have been filling 91 from a COCO. I filled up just once, a tankfull of 97. It made a significant difference. With my usual sedate driving, it returned more mileage. In general it was way more eager and responsive after about 50kms on the new fuel. Definite definitive difference!

Extra Premium however, is just additives in 91 RON. You are better off, using plain 91. My car manual explicitly mentioned not to use any additive based fuel. Can't say about MB.

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 7th September 2020 at 20:19.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 21:35   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is my first post on Team BHP so forgive me if I am breaking any community rule.

I have a Mercedes C200 2.0L and have been running it on Xtra Premium from IOC since delivery (roughly 6,200 kms) and wanted to know if upgrading to 97 RON would make any difference as the recommended fuel on the filler cap is 95 RON. Are there any long term effects of running 91 RON in a C200 in India as higher octane fuels are rarely available here.

Also where can I find 97 RON in Delhi (mainly around the airport).

Thanks for your time!
All OEM's, particularly those who are manufacturing their vehicles & powertrain in India, tune their cars keeping in mind the worst possible fuel / octane rating available. Hence running your vehicle on regular grade fuel may not adversely affect its performance. Maybe at the extremes of the performance car spectrum, some high performance CBU imports will be better off with a high octane diet, (and usually the manufacturer specifies it), but for the rest of the herd, regular grade fuel will work ok.
arjab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 07:17   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I get more bangs using proctane, maybe I need to find the correct mix ratio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer View Post
That's something I noticed too, my car was burbling on proctane and it never had before
Dealer & Turbanator, what Proctane ratio are you using on a tankfull basis? The nearest Speed 97 bunk is 20 km away and Proctane sounds like the best option.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 09:46   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Dealer & Turbanator, what Proctane ratio are you using on a tankfull basis? The nearest Speed 97 bunk is 20 km away and Proctane sounds like the best option.
hey, I've now switched to a 1% blend since repeated ordering/stocking of so many bottles is quite a hassle at home. 1%/2 bottles blend should be good enough for 95 RON on regular fuel.

Last edited by dealer : 8th September 2020 at 09:49.
dealer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 10:44   #200
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
what Proctane ratio are you using on a tankfull basis? The nearest Speed 97 bunk is 20 km away and Proctane sounds like the best option.
First compare the Fuel Efficiency on regular and Speed 97, if you find any difference then only you should use 97.

BMW must have de-tuned the engine on the CKD 330i so if you are running on a stock tune, you may not even notice the difference

Proctane bottle has a sticker suggesting quantity to be added depending on the intended Octane number.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2020, 12:24   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Some pumps in Chanakyapuri/Moti Bagh area dispense higher RON fuel. I have a 18 month old Superb which needs 95 but I have been filling 91 from a COCO. I filled up just once, a tankfull of 97. It made a significant difference. With my usual sedate driving, it returned more mileage. In general it was way more eager and responsive after about 50kms on the new fuel. Definite definitive difference!

Extra Premium however, is just additives in 91 RON. You are better off, using plain 91. My car manual explicitly mentioned not to use any additive based fuel. Can't say about MB.
Thank You very much! If you could further help with the exact names of the some of the pumps that would be very helpful as I couldn't find that information on either this thread or anywhere on the internet and there are many petrol pumps in that area.
Old 11th September 2020, 00:14   #202
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I couldn't find that information on either this thread or anywhere on the internet and there are many petrol pumps in that area.
BP and HP, both nearby

Here’s the link

https://goo.gl/maps/cNVd3E32vUttfyEWA

This might explain, why some people see advantages.

If the car does recommend higher octane fuel, it’s likely for a reason, but keep in mind the engineer’s dilemma: If you create a car that must run on 93 AKI fuel, and sell it in markets where 87 AKI fuel is available, someone (many someones) will put 87 in the tank. You don’t want this, so you have to design the engine to be able to run on 87 fuel as well. You can’t change the compression ratio, and you likely have a desired airflow to reach target power levels, so you’re left with ignition timing to alter.

A smart engine that desires high octane fuel for optimum performance will retard the ignition timing to prevent knock when lower octane fuel is used, and advance the timing once it sees more desirable fuel again. An unintelligent engine which desires high octane fuel likely won’t be able to adjust the timing accordingly, and thus will be able to run on both low or high octane fuel rather equally.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/eng...octane-petrol/

Last edited by Turbanator : 11th September 2020 at 00:43.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 15:35   #203
BHPian

Hey guys, My dad's got a 2020 X3 with the 30i engine, and the owner's manual mentions a minimum of 95 RON fuel, but he's been tanking up with shell unleaded only, which I gather is 91 RON.

What would y'all recommend I do, should I stock up on bottles of proctane, or fill up with speed 97(available closest to home) ?
Is it really imperative to use 95 RON and above only, or is it okay to continue using 91 without any damage to the engine, albeit the marginal loss in power/responsiveness/FE?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 11th September 2020, 17:15   #204
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
the owner's manual mentions a minimum of 95 RON fuel, but he's been tanking up with shell unleaded only, which I gather is 91 RON.
Owner manual will be for worldwide markets and when you decode the VIN online, there should be mention of Indian specific variant somewhere. BMW does detune their engines for our market.

I have varied experience, on my 740Li, I don’t feel any difference between regular and premium. Maybe the car is super intelligent or the insulation plays a big part, but I can’t make a thing. Haven’t checked back to back mileage so cannot comment. On my Mini, I feel premium fuel better as it works well on the JCW tune engine, is more rev happy and mileage is also slightly better though it’s more of an assumption

As suggested previously, you should try both or all 3 options (proctane/ premium/ regular) maybe start with normal and when its almost empty try with 20 litres of premium. Meanwhile, you can drop a Mail to BMW contact India, asking is it safe to use regular fuel as they have mentioned 95 Octane.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 21:28   #205
Distinguished - BHPian

One thing I've noticed with my GTI is that if the octane rating is satisfactory, the exhaust sounds great. Deep and bassy growl even at low RPMs. When it sounds good, it performs great too.

I have used Speed 97, Power 99 (rarely) and Proctane. And with all these, there are times (tank fills) that the engine is not happy and the exhaust becomes muted. This is when I know the batch isn't good.

Speed 97 has given me best results so far. With Proctane I need to increase the ratio for a + 6 or +8 RON kind of recommended mix ratio to get good results which pushes up costs.
Santoshbhat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 21:39   #206
BHPian

I went to the HPCL station in Chanakyapuri and filled up the tank of my C200 with power99. I could notice significant improvement in the behaviour of the engine, it became butter smooth while earlier it was a little rough specially while revving. While this is the only time I might be running 99 octane, will it harm the engine?
Old 11th September 2020, 22:39   #207
BHPian

Quote:
I went to the HPCL station in Chanakyapuri and filled up the tank of my C200 with power99. I could notice significant improvement in the behaviour of the engine, it became butter smooth while earlier it was a little rough specially while revving. While this is the only time I might be running 99 octane, will it harm the engine?
No it's actually great for the engine. It's like the first time you ate a salad and felt healthy after eating it. It'd be great for your heart and body if you kept eating healthy but it'll survive if you eat a little less healthy too. Would suggest to fill up with PoWer99 whenever you're feeling in the mood for a sporty drive. Regular fuel should do fine for normal in traffic driving.
jalajprakash is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 20:07   #208
BHPian

I guess it's time for the government to completely drain the pockets of enthusiasts once and for all. With two successive increases of 11 and 12 rupees respectively over the last 12 days, power99 fuel is now priced at Rs.144.68/litre
in Jaipur :(
Old 8th January 2021, 20:14   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh your post makes me feel a bit better I paid Rs108.74/L today for BP Speed 97 in Bangalore and I thought everything is expensive in Bangalore.

Folks from Hyd:
Where can we get high RON petrol in Hyderabad?

Last edited by androdev : 8th January 2021 at 20:15.
Old 8th January 2021, 21:46   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealer View Post
I guess it's time for the government to completely drain the pockets of enthusiasts once and for all. With two successive increases of 11 and 12 rupees respectively over the last 12 days, power99 fuel is now priced at Rs.144.68/litre
in Jaipur :(
I believe that this absurd increase in power99 pricing is just how HP is reacting to the launch of XP100 buy Indian oil. If Indian oil can sell fuel rated at 100 octane why can’t HP sell fuel rated at 99 octane for say Rs 20 less as 1 octane does not make too much of a difference. Sadly in the end we are paying 30% more for fuel just after a difference of a month .
AD03 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks