Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2005, 19:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

What is Homologation?

Hi guys found this interesting information so i thought would share with all.. read on

What is homologation?

Homologation is the process of certifying that a particular car is
roadworthy and matches certain specified criteria laid out by the government for all vehicles made or imported into that country. It is an acceptable practice worldwide. In India , this clearance is given by the Pune-based Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI) or the Vehicle Research and Development Establishment (VRDE), Ahmednagar and by the Central Farm Machinery Training and Testing Institute, Budni, Madhya Pradesh for tractors. Essentially, the tests ensure that the vehicle matches the requirements of the Indian market in terms of emission and safety and road-worthiness as per the Central Motor Vehicle Rules.

Are only imported cars homologated?

All original models running in India have to be homologated. So, this
includes both, cars developed in India like the Tata Indica and cars imported as a completely built unit and sold here like the Ford Mondeo. This also includes any variants that the company may later introduce, which would affect emission or safety parameters. For instance, if the company introduces a new engine in an existing model, the engine would need to be homologated. However, ancillary manufacturers also validate their products so if the variant only uses a validated ancillary there is no need for fresh homologation of the entire vehicle.

But imported cars must have been homologated in their country of origin. Why do we need to homologate again?

The problem is that a car that is tuned to the fuel condition and road
conditions of a more developed market need not necessarily work in India . For instance, our fuel quality is so poor that manufacturers often need to tweak their engines to make them India-worthy. Also, each country has separate homologation laws and not all of them are relevant to India . So, according to the government notification after the '01 Exim Policy phased out quantitative restriction on new and used car imports, every original car model brought into the country by an individual or a manufacturer has to have a local homologation clearance. Once a model or a prototype is homologated, other similar cars don't need to be separately certified.

How much does homologation cost? And how long does it take for a model to get homologated?

Homologation normally costs around Rs 10 to Rs 15 lakh, depending on the number of tests necessary to ensure roadworthiness. Normally the process takes around three months, which is also the international average. However, there are instances of the process taking longer. For example, DaimlerChrysler's C220 went through a seven-month long homologation exercise.

Why is homologation such a controversial issue?

Homologation in India is expensive and time consuming because the authorised body often has to begin by buying the equipment required to test technology-rich cars. Also, the rush for certification means that the authorities sometimes don't have the capacity to handle the volumes. Multinational carmakers contend that since their cars are already homologated in the most developed auto marts of the world there is no sense in duplicating the effort in India . Base homologation as per European standards is accepted in most countries in addition to which manufacturers undergo another 15-20% country-specific homologation. In India, the laws insist on complete homologation which is an expensive proposition.

Why doesn't the ARAI accept the homologation certification by European, US or Japanese agencies?

Currently there is no reciprocal arrangement between ARAI and its European or American counterparts. Since they don't recognise the ARAI certification, ARAI doesn't recognise their certification either. However, worldwide there is a move towards greater reciprocity and a UN dialogue among some 120 countries recently was focused on harmonising standards. For India, the harmonised standards will come with '07, when our safety and emission norms will be at par with Europe . That's when reciprocity will also follow.

Does homologation destroy the vehicle during testing?

Right now the ARAI does not do destructive testing, which will only happen once it acquires the capabilities in '05.

What happens when the ARAI does not have the equipment to test a particular high-tech component?

The norm then, is to extract certain parameters from the certification in the country of origin, but it can lead to time lags.

Source: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...how/345125.cms

Last edited by Technocrat : 8th April 2008 at 13:03. Reason: Removed Tags
Technocrat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th January 2005, 19:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

Good find technocrat! I did learn quite a few things about this whole homologation thingy...
Old 12th January 2005, 20:28   #3
BHPian

There are basic rules for importing a car. One is it has to be RHD, second it should have speedo in KM/Hr. It should have assymetrical headlamps, for petrol it should be 3000cc above and diesel 2500cc above , seating capacity and should be imported only from country of manufacture. More than this the value of the car has to be 40,000USD and above. The duty is 104.25% and i think it is going to be reduced drastically in the coming months. The SLK 200 is under homologation right now.
Old 13th January 2005, 13:04   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Technocrat,

Very very informative, and I myself learnt a lot about the process from your article. The only point I would like to add is that homolgation is supposedly waived off from cars costing $40,000 and above in their home countries.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

GTO
Old 13th January 2005, 19:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat
[size=2]Does homologation destroy the vehicle during testing? [/size]

Right now the ARAI does not do destructive testing, which will only happen once it acquires the capabilities in '05.
So if one imports a car privately. What happens if it is needed to be crash tested??

Last edited by Technocrat : 8th April 2008 at 13:03. Reason: fixed end quote
Old 13th January 2005, 19:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

that test is left for the owner
Old 15th April 2011, 18:12   #7
BHPian

Re: What is Homologation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
So if one imports a car privately. What happens if it is needed to be crash tested??
Homologation is the responsibility of the manufacturer (an approval so that he can start the sales). In case if you want to import a car, you dont have to get it homologated. I think the homologation documents from the manufacturer's home country will be valid (in this case it will be mentioned in the vehicle 's registration papers). I dont know the complete procedure but you pay the customs and duties and all and drive away

In EU/EEC, there are certain crash test procedures that and then certain criteria that has to be fulfilled.

The economic times article seems really interesting, although really old thread. I would like to infuse some life to this.
Old 26th December 2012, 15:01   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

The only point I would like to add is that homolgation is supposedly waived off from cars costing $40,000 and above in their home countries.
I don't know whether this holds for the US, because I have no idea.
However, for UK ; I am certain that its required from my personal experience.

The company I worked for earlier used to build a £ 100,000-150,000 car and that was definitely certified.

However, since it was a very low volume vehicle, they got every car tested at Single Vehicle Approval outlets. This is set to change in 2014, where the Individual Vehicle Approval Scheme comes in.

Here's a link for more detailed info: https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/...hicle-approval
Old 27th December 2012, 02:43   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk206

I don't know whether this holds for the US, because I have no idea.
However, for UK ; I am certain that its required from my personal experience.

The company I worked for earlier used to build a £ 100,000-150,000 car and that was definitely certified.

However, since it was a very low volume vehicle, they got every car tested at Single Vehicle Approval outlets. This is set to change in 2014, where the Individual Vehicle Approval Scheme comes in.

Here's a link for more detailed info: https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/...hicle-approval
The IVA Scheme is live and valid in the UK. We (Vehicle Certification Agency, VCA) already are issuing IVAs for certain manufacturers.

However when it comes to whether crash is mandatory for vehicle approval, then the answer, it depends which class of approval the vehicle is approved under and what scheme. Some need it, some don't.

There is also a Small Series approval scheme across EU which some manufacturers use.

Further reading if you are interested is 2007/46/EC which is also called thwarted framework directive.

There is infinitely more to Homologation than just crash..

BTW, GTO would be interested to know whom you worked for...

Cheers,

Gandhar.
Old 30th January 2017, 13:21   #10
BHPian

ARAI certificates

Is there a way to obtain the ARAI or ICAT certificates for the cars sold in India? I am trying to find the certificate for BMW X3 30d MSport, but couldn't find it over the internet.

Certificates for certain cars can be accessed at http://keralamvd.gov.in/index.php/vechicle-approval, but it is not comprehensive.

Last edited by ece2k2 : 30th January 2017 at 13:23.
ece2k2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2019, 12:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

It seems that Honda has cited Homologation cost as the reason not to bring the 2.0 litre engine in the Civic in India. How much would have it cost anyways to bring in a tried and tested (in other countries) 2.0 engine to India for the newly launched Civic?
Old 4th July 2019, 16:38   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
It seems that Honda has cited Homologation cost as the reason not to bring the 2.0 litre engine in the Civic in India. How much would have it cost anyways to bring in a tried and tested (in other countries) 2.0 engine to India for the newly launched Civic?
That is really sad because the dull engine is the weakest link in the Civic. If it gets strong, powerful engine then it will add to the appeal of the car.
Old 5th July 2019, 08:57   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
to me it seems just an excuse because
a) the cost of homologation would be less than 50 slots of TV Commercials.
b) the real reason might be cost of Expensive 2.0L engine, Transmission and the R&D integration.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks