Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2005, 02:56   #31
BHPian

agree with akshay,

zen looks cute, performs great and saves more fuel..

Space is not bad for 4 guys and it is a great little city car..
Old 12th May 2005, 03:29   #32
Senior - BHPian

Zen has a sporty feel that no other hatchback can deliver.
Old 12th May 2005, 12:19   #33
AGP
BHPian

there is no option if one wants to buy a small maruti car.
Old 12th May 2005, 12:30   #34
Senior - BHPian

Expectional alternative

Is there a car in India which is an expectional alternative to Zen in its segment, where there is no need for the buyer to look into Zen at all. If there are cars like that there is no need for people to buy ZEN
Old 12th May 2005, 12:38   #35
BHPian

zen is a great car you can get everything you want in a car zen is the fastest among these cars leaving palio
Old 5th October 2005, 02:40   #36
BHPian

The Zen is still the most sporty car and I love the way she moves...I'm not bragging coz I own one, but coz I have ridden several other small cars but none comes close to the zen..the santro is good, so is the palio...but when it comes to maintenace and reliability none can come close to the zen...
now comparing the products from maruti itself, the wagon looks a tad too old wid a tall and non-sporty desgin, and one look at the dashboard turns me off.
The alto feels too crampy and the riding posture is not even as good as the good-old m800....
The m-800 is a nice car and will still inspire the indian minds coz it serves its purpose pretty well....but lacks the classy appeal....
This is where the Zen excels and is a driver's car....so what if its old? isnt it good?
is there a hard and fast rule that anything old should be phased? Updates are important and maruti is pretty good at doing that, so does that really matter?
We guyz r thinking from a foriegn view where a new car is uodated every 3 years and what happens to the older cars? acres of junky piled cars???I'd not expect something like that to happen in india and if a newer technology can be updated in a good old car and if ppl are still buying, whats teh harm?
I'd not bother if someone asked why teh zen was being made if it was not selling, but in this case it still sells really well! At the end of the day the zen still remains a favorite among racers, laymen, college-goers, techies, etc...so let it sell as long as its on demand!
Old 5th October 2005, 04:01   #37
BHPian

oh crap, I've been typing riding all the way instead of driving...thats a biking influence..excuse me for that!
Old 5th October 2005, 07:01   #38
BHPian

My Zen VXi is over 5 years old, yet runs as smooth, peppy and frugal (12 [BtoBCity+AC] -19 [HW+intermittent AC] kmpl) as when it was new. With its exceptional and responsive handling, it's an enthusiast driver's car perfect for a small family. In 5 years it has gone through the worst of city roads, hundreds of kms at a stretch, taken more than a fair share of abuse of new drivers, yet never complained even once! It even went through some extremely scary submarine situations on the dreaded 26/7, but never even once failed to start at first crank! Of course, I have always ensured regular scheduled services only at Navnit and Vitesse. When I recently decked my 5-yr old Zen with Stanley leather seats, Aura alloys and JK tubeless radials, the dealer laughed at first, but said he could understand!

Now, to answer your fundamental question... I guess people still buy Zen for the same reason people still buy Colgate toothpaste or Johnson's baby powder or vote Gandhi family (risky?!) -- High (not necessarily the highest) quality, extreme consistency and good (not necessarily very good) VFM. One of the little stated factors is how Maruti has built its reputation over years through its service network. I've had the privilege to see their workshops inside and the Japanese 5S culture has permeated to every nook and corner! I guess Maruti products are born out of a vision and it's not out of place to compare Zen with VW Beetle.

The bottom line? FGF (Feel Good Factor) and VFM!
Old 5th October 2005, 11:10   #39
Senior - BHPian

my dad wanted a car in small segment, but not alto or 800, everyone has it, u see.
santro and wagon R were ruled out because they looked like dabba to him.

finally after a lot of tussel, I had no choice but Zen.

Dads, difficult to please. u see.

:-)
Old 2nd November 2005, 14:32   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Zen has a sporty feel that no other hatchback can deliver.
damn true man

i own a zen and trust me it has got the sporty feel that none of the small segment cars have leaving palio
Old 2nd November 2005, 16:18   #41
Senior - BHPian

Touchy topic!!

Whoa..dciete the when I saw the subject of your thread I thought that on opening the thread I would find ZEN owners up in arms about the vilification of their cars cos most Zen owners are passionate about these cars.

Well I drove a Zen for around 250kms and to tell you the truth I simply loved it!! But didn't consider it as an option when choosing a car for my father. You see theres no way he's gonna settle for a superb drivers car that scapes on our speed breakers (mods definitely not an option), that barely has enough luggage space for a couple of bags, entry postures where he has to contort his frame (when u r old all joints don't cooperate) and a back seat that's slightly better than the 800 and a build quality that ain't all that great. I think the sales of the Zen reflect this too..last month the figure was around 3000 compared to 7000+ for the Wagon R 8000 for the Santro and close to 10,000 for the Alto. I read it as 3000 people preferring a great drivers car with a smooth engine, great FE over an all - round performer.

You see the Zen's great but is seriously compromised on the practicality front. Thats my take on the Zen!!

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 2nd November 2005, 18:14   #42
Senior - BHPian

We had a 2001 Zen Vxi in the family for a couple of months (in between the departure of the Indica2000 and the arrival of the Indigo) and I absolutely loved it! For the said price, its a fantastic drivers car. Everyone in my family loved the old Zen's looks (like most Indians).
Compared to the petrol Indica2000, this car felt fabulous, to drive that is. The Indica though makes more power on paper, always feels like it is being held down by something, the Zen feels like more like a bouncy and energetic kid, always ready to play hard.
And its reliable too. Our car had 71000 Kms on it and it still felt good. A cousin of mine had done 2 Lakh Kilometres in his Zen ('96 model) only with routine preventive maintenance.
The Zen, for the price asked, gives a very satisfying motoring experience, and the blind faith some people put in this car is not completely unjustified. It makes for a great used buy too. Especially the old shaped ones. I think its a great first car for anyone.
Old 2nd November 2005, 18:16   #43
BHPian

I find Zen's inner cubicle space to be cramped.
It is a low flooring car with an awesome engine. But the people who accompanied felt that there is a space constraint
Old 2nd November 2005, 18:54   #44
BHPian

well i have a zen and i judt got back form my goa trip...after having driven a few cars myself here and abroad...i think the zen i definitely my fav. in that range..also the power to weight ratio is absolutely cool....and its way better than a zing...which i feel is about to topple over anytime...and a palio...r u serious.....their service and customer care is horrible..
zen has become an epitome of indian cars..just like the amby and m800....cheers....!
Old 4th November 2005, 00:34   #45
BHPian

I think it is a good looking car for the common man backed by the Maruti brand name. Indian market has some interesting features:

1. Maruti sells-period. The after sales service, the availability of spares, resale value-and the perception of good quality at high affordability.

2. The market doesn't value high performance features-low financial and emotional cost of maintenance and running is important.

Considering all of this I am not surprised the Zen sells. That explains why an outdated car like the Zen sells.

As far as why Zen and not Wagon R or Santro-Every Zen owner I have talked to considered Wagon R and Santro before rejecting them for one reason or other-most often because they are too ugly!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks