Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2021, 10:42   #1831
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karumbaiah View Post
Continuing my previous thread. This car didn't needed any major restoration as it was running perfectly fine/. All I did first was

6. Seat covers changed as it was faded.
Hi Sudhin. Many congratulations on your acquisition. The car looks to be in good and original condition. On the point #6, where did you find the new seat covers? They are very close to the originals.

Also, I've seen most red color (exterior) SS80 come with the previous seat covers of your car. Were there different seat covers for different exteriror colors of SS80?
Horizon85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 12:49   #1832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon85 View Post
Also, I've seen most red color (exterior) SS80 come with the previous seat covers of your car. Were there different seat covers for different exteriror colors of SS80?
All standard models came with the same seat covers.
DX models came with burgundy colour leather seat covers for Francoise white and NZBrown colour cars and Beige colour leather seat covers for Blue and Apple Red colour cars.
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 22:52   #1833
BHPian

Almost 2 decades since my first SS80 restoration (MFA 8922), I am super excited to say that I am now the custodian of a second, incredibly original, ultra-low mileage SS80 and I can't be happier.

Presenting CAR 1039, which only needed some mechanical TLC (precautionary) and a nice buff job!

PS: Still have MFA 8922 too!
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-whatsapp-image-20210907-10.15.29-am.jpg  

Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-pxl_20210909_004545472.portrait.jpg  

Edmund is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 11:46   #1834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
Almost 2 decades since my first SS80 restoration (MFA 8922), I am super excited to say that I am now the custodian of a second, incredibly original, ultra-low mileage SS80 and I can't be happier.
Presenting CAR 1039
Hi Edmund
I was hooked onto your SS80 restoration thread and was closely following it back then.

CAR 1039 looks beautiful!
I spotted CAR 1039 just last month, while traveling in a cab near Raj Bhavan in Bangalore.
Wish you many miles and years with both these beauties

Are you located in Bangalore? Where do you get your cars repaired?
Old 15th March 2022, 17:36   #1835

Hallo All,

I've just joined Team BHP - on March12th. Really happy to be part of this community - I feel at home with fellow car enthusiasts

Coincidentally, a second good thing also happened to me on the 12th - I finally took the plunge and bought an SS80 on 12th morning - a Dec '84 Std model. Buying and restoring one is actually my Dad's dream project and Im glad he and I can finally start work on this.

- Drove it 18km to bring it home - runs ok but noticed a few things that will need work
- Body seems to be reasonable shape for a 38 year old car
- But will needs full repainting - maybe will get total strip/repaint
- Obvious mechanical work needed : engine tuning/service, oil leak (need to see how bad it is, hopefully wont be major work), clutch plate replacement, steering is a bit tight, 4th gear whine, brake overhaul etc
- all lights and gauges work fine (except temp gauge which seems dead)
- Some trim parts needed - windscreen trim, RHS outside mirror, hub caps, tool kit and spare is missing.
- seats and door pads in good shape but refinished in dark brown synthetic material - will need to find originals/original look-alikes.

We would love to keep the car as stock as possible and are looking forward to this restoration project.

I'm based in Bangalore - any leads for a good garage which can help with SS80 restoration + any leads for spare parts will be very helpful.

Pic of car attached, as bought. Look forward to sharing updates as we go along

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki SS80 DX-ss80-1.jpg  

Nitish75 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th March 2022, 19:51   #1836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitish75 View Post
Hallo All,
- But will needs full repainting - maybe will get total strip/repaint
- Obvious mechanical work needed
- Some trim parts needed - windscreen trim, RHS outside mirror, hub caps, tool kit and spare is missing.
- seats and door pads in good shape but refinished in dark brown synthetic material - will need to find originals/original look-alikes.
Cheers
Better not to do a total strip if it is still having original factory paint.
RHS mirror- very difficult to source the original one
Hubcaps are available. So are the original black door pads(not SGP but made in delhi).Most mechanical parts are available except a few like Front shock absorbers
ajay99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 19:29   #1837
BHPian

Congratulations Nitish! Welcome to the SS80 club! Shall give you a holler and we can exchange notes...

Cheers[/quote]
Old 30th March 2022, 13:21   #1838

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Better not to do a total strip if it is still having original factory paint.
RHS mirror- very difficult to source the original one
Hubcaps are available. So are the original black door pads(not SGP but made in delhi).Most mechanical parts are available except a few like Front shock absorbers
Many thanks.

Question for SS80 experts:

1. Can the F8B engine run well on the current lead free petrol + ethanol mix (having been designed in the lower octane leaded fuel era).

2. Any mods required to the carb settings?

3. Are Lead additives available/needed/useful ? (seem to be prevalent in western countries for older cars)

Any inputs would be highly appreciated.
Old 16th June 2022, 13:56   #1839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon85 View Post
Hi Sudhin. Many congratulations on your acquisition. The car looks to be in good and original condition. On the point #6, where did you find the new seat covers? They are very close to the originals.

Sorry was not active in this forum. Regarding seat covers, fortunately i had that matching seat material at my local hood work shop.
Karumbaiah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 19:24   #1840

Was the Maruti 800 launched with MPFI? Can anyone provide further details of the MPFI system?
Old 30th June 2022, 20:22   #1841
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltopaz View Post
Was the Maruti 800 launched with MPFI? Can anyone provide further details of the MPFI system?
While not the SS80, the 2000 or so models and thereafter were launched in MPFI guise.

Leoshashi's ownership thread (The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27) has a great bunch of detail on the same.
Old 30th June 2022, 20:34   #1842
Senior - BHPian

Lovely car. Many congratulations!

For me it brings a lot of nostalgic memories because it was the first car I bought after going to work. Mine was a Red August 1984 model DX 800. Its invoice price read Rs 42500/-.

I acquired it second hand in 1996 for Rs 75K when it was 12 years old. Bought it from its first owner, a posh elderly gent.

Good car. Good adventures in it. Kept it for a while and then swapped it over for a 1988 model soft top MG410 Gypsy because I just loved Gypsys more..and still do as a matter of fact.

Regarding your query on restoration and refurbishment. I suggest pop over to RAC Garage in Koramangala 8th Main Road - in the lane behind Thoughtworks office.

The owner is Ranjit Ballal. Racer. Rallyist. Auto Enthusiast. Very knowledgeable. And he loves these old cars.

All the best with the project ahead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitish75 View Post
Hallo All,

-
-

We would love to keep the car as stock as possible and are looking forward to this restoration project.

I'm based in Bangalore - any leads for a good garage which can help with SS80 restoration + any leads for spare parts will be very helpful.

Pic of car attached, as bought. Look forward to sharing updates as we go along

Cheers
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 17:29   #1843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Lovely car. Many congratulations!
For me it brings a lot of nostalgic memories because it was the first car I bought after going to work. Mine was a Red August 1984 model DX 800. Its invoice price read Rs 42500/-.
The exshowroom price of the Standard model was the one mentioned above.The DX model invoice price was about Rs.30000/- higher.
Old 5th July 2022, 17:40   #1844
Senior - BHPian

When I got that 12 year old red car, I paid Rs 75000 for it. It was a lovely little car.
My friend still has one. It is parked in his house in Madras. But he is far away, living abroad.
That car is a perfect candidate for restoration, rebuild and usage as a Sunday driver classic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
The exshowroom price of the Standard model was the one mentioned above.The DX model invoice price was about Rs.30000/- higher.
Old 7th July 2022, 16:24   #1845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neur0t0xin View Post
Hi Edmund
I was hooked onto your SS80 restoration thread and was closely following it back then.

CAR 1039 looks beautiful!
I spotted CAR 1039 just last month, while traveling in a cab near Raj Bhavan in Bangalore.
Wish you many miles and years with both these beauties

Are you located in Bangalore? Where do you get your cars repaired?
Hey!

That blue SS80 restoration thread is where it all started, glad you enjoyed it!!

As for the maintenence and upkeep of the SS80, for things that might require a lot of parts from the SGP catalogue, I send it to Anekar Motors, Magadi Road, an official Maruti Suzuki Dealership. The owner Gautam is very pleasant to deal with and always game for a challenge!

For more nuanced classic work I take her to my friend, Krishna Murthy's place in Frazer Town.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks