Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2007, 18:12   #16
BANNED

It does have it. Its digital. The symbol comes on as an warning & goes away when things are normal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
The NHC doesn't have a temperature indicator.
Old 11th October 2007, 18:23   #17
BHPian

There is a low fuel indicator in the Swift Petrol but I dont think it works anyways (no sensor & no bulb), I've seen this work on my old Santro though. I don't know why Maruti has disabled this feature in Swift. Its definitely a nice to have feature.
Old 11th October 2007, 18:29   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandtheleo View Post
This may sound stupid, but when we have fuel gauges given in the instrument panel, why do we need a low fuel warning lamp, isn't it our responsibility to check the fuel level in our car before setting of anywhere?

Anand.S
If you read my travelouge to Srisailam, you'll know how useful this feature is. In short, I did not want to fill up in the ramshackle IndianOil bunk at Srisailam, and relied on the DTE and low fuel indicators to bring me back to Hyd for a safe refill.
Old 11th October 2007, 18:33   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
people feel like Maruti is cost cutting on this but then my Palio doesn't have a 'fasten seat belt' indicator so I guess every company gives you something and takes away something.
Yes, Cost cutting is the buzzword now. How you explain no ORVM on the left hand side of most Marutis?

A small maths to see the cost cutting magnitude: That left side OVRM for Alto, M800 costs about Rs 350 MGA. If Maruti can source it at between Rs 150-200 a piece from its vendor, imagine how much they have saved by not having it fixed on a car like Alto that has sold 5 lakh pieces????
Old 11th October 2007, 18:50   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How you explain no ORVM on the left hand side of most Marutis?
This is on most base models isnt it? I think apart from cost cutting, it's also to diffrentiate between base and higher spec variants and also to make the buyer of the high spec model feel like he is getting more features for slightly more money. BUT, the question is does the competition do the same? Does the base model Santro also have one OVRM mirror? What about the Base Palio? Base Spark? Base Indica?
Old 11th October 2007, 19:18   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is on most base models isnt it?
Alto LXi is the top end model of the car. Its the same with M800, Wagon R etc.

Examples of useful features that most car companies have not bothered about are mud flaps, floor mats, clock, glovebox lamp, ticket holder and the list goes on etc.

These features, as far I know doesnt cost much. But for them, even one rupee less is one rupee saved considering the volumes they sell.
Old 11th October 2007, 19:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

Maruti cars doesn't have a low-fuel indicator? Shame on MUL!

Palio all models including base model has this!
Though we can keep an eye on fuel gauge, I find low-fuel indicator a very useful feature since it is fairly accurate, the moment it glows I head to the nearest Shell bunk!

Last edited by finneyp : 11th October 2007 at 19:44.
Old 11th October 2007, 19:38   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Tell me how many of you guys drive the car to the near empty? There are so many useful features that Maruti and others have simply left out.

Why dont we talk about them rather than a not so useful low fuel indicator? We always have the level indicator. As a responsible driver, I think most of us looks at the indicators once in a while.

I dont think a thread needs to be dedicated to this
At some situations, it may help. Just driving the car when the low-fuel mark goes to "E", might hamper your catalytic converter. That is what was given in the manuals of Palio. Technically I dont know how. And catalytic converter is a costly affair right ?
Old 11th October 2007, 20:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
Fuel gauge should be more than enough for the purpose. May be this feature being present in other cars is pushing people to question about this. Not a useful feature though.
Actually I disagree. I had fuel indicator in my car in US. Sometimes driving 300 miles on the highway at night, you loose track of how quickly you are burning gas. One is not always busy looking at the petrol needle, sometimes in snow storms you have near zero visibility. So having the lamp light up was a great feature.
Now in my Swift, once I ran out of gas. You know why, as I simply forgot to see the fuel gauge and there was no warning lamp. It has only happened once in 2 years, but if there was a fuel warning lamp, or a Distance to Empty gauge, I am sure it would have never happened! Thankfully it was middle of the day, what if I was a hot looking sexy girl and this happened in the middle of the night
Old 11th October 2007, 20:12   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Maruti cars doesn't have a low-fuel indicator? Shame on MUL!

Though we can keep an eye on fuel gauge, I find low-fuel indicator a very useful feature since it is fairly accurate, the moment it glows I head to the nearest Shell bunk!
I thought it's common knowledge to refill when the needle falls to the Quarter Tank (Mid Way between E & the middle mark), this ensures
  • The impurities that settle at the bottom of the fuel tank don't go into the fuel line.
  • you have enough fuel in case of emergency travel requirements.
  • you can refill at the outlet of your choice (Plenty of Kms can be covered between quarter Level and E to reach your preferred outlet)
Disadvantages of DTE:

Everyone in my circle who has a DTE Lamp relies on it rather than the fuel gauge, so they fill only when it glows
  • what if the bulb is not working, you wait till the tank is empty,
  • you run the risk of choking the fuel line over a period of time by following the practice of refilling only after the lamp is on
  • you loose the habit of looking at the fuel gauge and judging how far you can go ...this can lead to forced refilling at an unknown pump incase of long journey etc.
Old 11th October 2007, 20:51   #26
BHPian

agree with all posts, that it is good to have the low fuel LED, but not necessarily a must-have. while driving my friend's indica on low fuel, i noticed this LED glowing occasionally, more so when driven on bad roads. the fuel must've been swaying, causing the lamp to turn on, at times.
Old 11th October 2007, 21:10   #27
BANNED

All Honda models, including base model has this too !
Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Old 11th October 2007, 22:37   #28
BHPian

i too had posted this query twice. in sx 4 too there is a lamp but it does not glow. scorpio has this feature, it was very useful during my mahabaleshwar trip. the needle had touched the 'e' mark but the lamp was not blinking continued for some kms . finally tanked up the scorpio on my way to mumbai. and friends on that day there was strike of the pump owners in mahabaleshwar region and panchgani.
Old 11th October 2007, 23:13   #29
BANNED

what about the grand vitara, will be interesting thing to see a 16 lak car without the same...
Old 11th October 2007, 23:17   #30
BANNED

AFAIK, Maruti Vitara has it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
what about the grand vitara, will be interesting thing to see a 16 lak car without the same...
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks