Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2024, 16:39   #1
BHPian

What cost cutting by car manufacturers are you ok with?

I was reading the VW Ameo review, and I saw how ge Ameo had 4 parking sensors when the Innova Crysta was offering only two. For me, I felt as long as the parking sensors perform their function, the number does not matter. This was the idea behind the thread.
Another instance, Honda provides usable fixed headrests on the City. This is cost cutting but since it does not really affect functionality, it is fine to me.

Would love to hear if anyone came across such instances.
saikishor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2024, 16:46   #2
BHPian

re: What cost cutting by car manufacturers are you ok with?

Parking sensors would do their job provided they are in the right place. Having more could potentially mean that it covers more angles when a car is reversed. It is up-to the buyer to decide if that is sufficient for their use case or then cutting costs.
Newtown is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2024, 16:51   #3
BHPian

Illuminated power window and other control switches on the doorpad - Initially annoying and takes away the so called premium feel of the vehicle but, over a period of time once you get used to the position of the switches, it doesn't really matter. My Jazz has only the window lock and the driver side window switch backlit while the Civic has all of them backlit. I don't even look at the switches in either car now.

Fabric seats instead of leatherette. Doesn't matter to me at all and I actually prefer fabric over leatherette.

Halogen lamps in the cabin instead of LED.

Cooled glovebox. I don't care and instead prefer an illuminated glovebox.

Smaller touchscreens. As long as the required information is conveyed, it's fine.

No sunroof? No problems.

Paddle shifters. I personally don't use them much on the Jazz so I could do without them.

360 degree camera. Never used it and have never felt the need for it. Maybe my opinion could change if I appreciate it's benefits.

Last edited by Dead_Pedal : 16th September 2024 at 16:52.
Dead_Pedal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2024, 16:52   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
I was reading the VW Ameo review, and I saw how ge Ameo had 4 parking sensors when the Innova Crysta was offering only two. For me, I felt as long as the parking sensors perform their function, the number does not matter. This was the idea behind the thread.
Another instance, Honda provides usable fixed headrests on the City. This is cost cutting but since it does not really affect functionality, it is fine to me.
I doubt two parking sensors can provide as good a warning as four. Unless they are very different sensors to start with and even then it is unlikely.

Fixed headrests or rather all headrests have an import role to play in car crashes to prevent whiplashes.

Cost cutting on cars as on most other items, will almost always be detrimental to the functionality, form or feel.

Jeroen

Last edited by Axe77 : 16th September 2024 at 17:07.
Jeroen is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2024, 17:31   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Pedal View Post
Illuminated power window and other control switches on the doorpad - Initially annoying and takes away the so called premium feel of the vehicle but, over a period of time once you get used to the position of the switches, it doesn't really matter. My Jazz has only the window lock and the driver side window switch backlit while the Civic has all of them backlit. I don't even look at the switches in either car now.

Fabric seats instead of leatherette. Doesn't matter to me at all and I actually prefer fabric over leatherette.

Halogen lamps in the cabin instead of LED.

Cooled glovebox. I don't care and instead prefer an illuminated glovebox.

Smaller touchscreens. As long as the required information is conveyed, it's fine.

No sunroof? No problems.

Paddle shifters. I personally don't use them much on the Jazz so I could do without them.

360 degree camera. Never used it and have never felt the need for it. Maybe my opinion could change if I appreciate it's benefits.
I agree with your views completely.

For me, it really doesn't matter if the car comes with 4 reverse sensors or 2 reverse sensors or No reverse sensors. Once you own a car, it takes some time to know your car and with it comes and understanding of it.

I am used to driving a car with no reverse parking sensors. I took perhaps a week or two to understand the dimensions and learnt to reverse it perfectly. I may not do the same with other cars, but with my car, I can reverse and park with precision and also drive out from a very tight parking situation. So parking sensors don't mean much to me.

It's similar to what you mentioned about the illuminated power windows and other switches. A week or two of owning the car, you get used to the position that you wouldn't even glance down to see the switch before you use it. You will do it naturally.

TPMS: I check the tyre pressure every time I fill fuel my vehicles at the bunk. I also have a digital display tyre air inflator that reads the tyre pressure if need be and do the needful.

Auto dimming lights, auto wipers: Personally I don't find the need for them.

Music system: I am not a music aficionado. I prefer silence while driving alone or chatting with my co-passengers when I have them with me. Silence is peaceful to me and I prefer it over any sound.

Voice commands and gesture commands: A big no to me. I prefer to do things manually.

Phone controls on the steering: I have a strict rule of not speaking on telephone while driving/ riding. I have never done it and wouldn't do it. If I am expecting an important call, then I will pull aside and take the call. Never while driving. So any phone controls means not much to me.

Sunroof: A big NO.

Leather upholstery and leather steering cover: A big No

So, basically what am I asking? I am asking for a mechanically well sorted car with good power & driving dynamics, stable at high speed, good seating ergonomics. Good AC, power windows, driver seat height adjustment, rear windshield defogger, wash and wiper, good lighting (headlight, indicators, brake light, park light etc), a dash cam, blind spot mirrors, all seat head rest, driver's seat arm rest and I am done.

I prefer a manual transmission car. So automatics are out too.

And people have a name for my kind of drivers. 'Old School'

Last edited by ashkamath : 16th September 2024 at 17:38.
ashkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2024, 17:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

It depends on the car and segment, I guess. I wouldn’t mind if the 5L beater I buy has halogen reflector headlights or a smaller infotainment with dials. I don’t care if the door handles are flush or pull type or not, which is apparently something a lot of people care about in the Citroen thread. I don’t care if rear brakes are disks or drums as long as braking performance is good. Ambient lights etc: who gives a %##

20-30L segment : I want all reasonable features that we have come to expect and okayish performance + comfort inside. Dont care if it doesn’t have ADAS, auto parking, adaptive headlights, 300 colour ambient lighting, air purifiers etc.

50-80L segment: I better be getting everything. Omission of keyless entry, ventilated seats etc which are present in lower segments just won’t cut it anymore.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2024, 17:54   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
Would love to hear if anyone came across such instances.
All manufacturers engage in some form of cost cutting. But I think the examples you picked are not ideal.

Having four parking sensors provides better coverage and is helpful when reversing the car. Similarly, adjustable headrests can reduce the risk of whiplash in case of an accident.

When it comes to cost cutting, I am fine with the following -

1. Having only the driver side window switch backlit while the other switches are not.

2. Buttons instead of large touch screens.

3. Absence of a sunroof.

4. Manual AC rather than automatic climate control.

5. A normal handbrake rather than an electronic parking brake.

6. Absence of ambient lighting.

Last edited by It's Magic : 16th September 2024 at 18:05. Reason: Added one more point
It's Magic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2024, 19:16   #8
BHPian

To all those saying my parking sensors thing was not ideal, I just took it as an example. Another example I could think of was the separate cornering function foglamp on VW cars. Old VW cars use to come with a provision for a cornering lamp, but that barrel was empty for Indian spec cars as the cornering function was given to the main foglamp itself.
I am in no way promoting the usage of two parking sensors on an obnoxiously overpriced Innova Crysta. I just took it as an example for starting this thread.

And lets not divert from cost cutting to the features being offered. I am just talking about some features which were lets say not offered on India spec cars despite provisions being present just to be eliminated in the name of cost cutting. Another example I can give is speedo features being locked on the Chevy Beat in the name of cost cutting(which I am absolutely not ok with but just as an example), providing a single bulb regular halogen HMSL on a 10th gen Honda Civic etc

Last edited by saikishor : 16th September 2024 at 19:19.
Old 16th September 2024, 20:09   #9
BHPian

Here are some cost cuttings that I am okay with -

1. Regular sunroof rather than panoramic one.

2. Regular cruise control rather than adaptive one.

3. Reduced trunk space and smaller fuel tank (only if buying a hybrid)

4. Can do without LED headlamps as long as regular halogens and xenon headlamps are effective.

5. Auto-Hold and electric parking brake.

What I cannot live without -

1. Bare minimum safety features like ABS, 6-8 Airbags, ESC, ISOFIX child seat mounts, and a strong body shell.

2. Lane keep assist, blind spot monitor, Forward Collision assistance(anything can happen all of a sudden)

3. Apple CarPlay(I miss my cassette player though)

4. Electric seat adjustment

5. Rear AC Vents
Beemer1077 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2024, 09:32   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: What cost cutting by car manufacturers are you ok with?

Great thread idea! Like it or not, any car launched under 50-lakh rupees goes through rigorous cost analysis & cost cutting by the manufacturers. Product & engineering teams have to continually battle what they can offer, what they cannot. Example, with Skoda & VW, you get top-class safety, but not features. With Toyota MPVs & SUVs, you get unbelievable reliability & durability, but not class-leading interiors.

Cost-cutting that I am personally okay with:

- Anything that can be easily fixed or replaced in the aftermarket, without affecting the warranty. Example, a lame alloy wheel design (I anyway prefer snazzier aftermarket rims), driver armrest and so on.

- ADAS, engine idling start stop systems, mild hybrids, wireless phone charging: Please save costs and don't give my cars these features which I will never use.

- Electric seats & electric steering adjustment. Nice to have, but I won't miss them if not offered.

Other than these though, I am a tough, hard-to-please customer. I need solid mechanicals, a great engine & gearbox, excellent suspension and 4-5 star safety.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2024, 09:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

Ambient lighting is one of those things I really don't get. And even if you have it, a simple white color is fine - who really needs 32 different color options? I'm guessing the reason they do it is because the cost is minimal but they can brag about the feature in marketing.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2024, 09:53   #12
BHPian

I am okay with manufaturers doing visible cost cutting that barely impact the driving,safety rather than going into internals for cost cutting that could have a significant impact. This is because many of the visible cost cutting can have aftermarket fixes.

Like, I am okay with
- Having cheap/hard plastics here and there as long as they work (many cars - especially Skoda VW 2.0, Renault Nissan cars)
- Poor color material and finish that doesn't belong to its segment (many cars- especially Skoda VW 2.0)
- Under hood insulation/ poor cabin insulation (many cars)
- Mediocre OE tyres and small spare wheel (many cars)
- Fancy headlights but with poor visibility at night (many cars)
- Branded yet poor OE audio (Creta, Seltos)
- Cutting corners on camera quality (Magnite)
- Fixed headrests (City)

But I am not okay with cost cutting such as
- Many global cars missing critical structural members ( Ford , Kia etc but not limited to them)
- Thin sheet metals
- Fragile critical parts (like Kwid with plastic oil sump)

I think there is only a thin line between features and cost cutting and its often difficult to spot same.
5252rpm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks