Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2024, 17:12   #1
Team-BHP Support

Car manufacturers that need a complete design makeover/revamp

Car design is subjective. Some people love boxy designs, some love sleek designs, some love minimalist designs, and some like quirky bits to stand out from the crowd. Over the years, car designs have evolved and we have some good-looking cars on sale today. Some people might disagree with that statement, but let’s not get caught up in that argument. I’m talking about the direction of car design that manufacturers opt for. With the changing times, car designers must keep on evolving to avoid being monotonous and boring. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Two major revamps come to mind.

Tata Motors - A decade back Tata Motors' designs were very basic and utilitarian. The Indica, Indigo, Aria, and Sumo looked very simple and functional. I’m sure people didn’t buy Tata cars for their standout designs. Things changed with the first iterations of Tiago, Nexon and Harrier which made people think differently about Tata Motors. The tone for new age designs was set and the recent facelifts of all their cars have just made things even better. Today, Tata cars are undeniably one of the best-looking on Indian roads.

Car manufacturers that need a complete design makeover/revamp-tata-motors.png

Hyundai - The Korean manufacturer made a major shift in design language in recent times. They went from making conservative designs to making futuristic designs. The previous generations of the i20, Verna, Creta and Tucson were very clean and likeable. Turn the clocks and today’s Hyundai cars are quirky and edgy. They have that futuristic look which was a bold decision for the company to make. The latest generation Creta, Verna and Tucson stand out from the crowd because of their edgy designs. And people love them as it’s seen in the sales numbers.

Car manufacturers that need a complete design makeover/revamp-hyundai.png

These are the two examples that have executed the design revamp well. Now, let's talk about the topic at hand - Manufacturers that could do with a design makeover. Which manufacturer's cars have started to look monotonous and boring? Here’s my list –

Volkswagen – Volkswagen is known for its timeless and classic designs. Anything different from a clean design sounds almost blasphemous for VW fans. But IMO, the clean designs have become boring now. While the old cars like the Jetta, Polo and Passat look good even today, new cars look boring. Some people prefer the understated looks, but that number is dropping by the day. VW and even Audi as an extension could use a fresh perspective.

Car manufacturers that need a complete design makeover/revamp-volkswagen.png

Maruti Suzuki – IMO, Maruti has always been a conservative design brand. They haven’t done anything that is out of the ordinary and their designs don’t really WOW the customers at first glance. They get the numbers, which works for them, but apart from that, the designs don’t really stand out. They’ve experimented with new designs with some cars, but they’ve never gone all out and pursued a radical design philosophy.

Car manufacturers that need a complete design makeover/revamp-maruti-suzuki.png

Which manufacturers do you think need to do a full revamp in their design language?
Omkar is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 14th September 2024, 17:14   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car manufacturers that need a complete design makeover/revamp

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line.
Omkar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2024, 17:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

I would add Honda to the list without question, more so than VW for sure. They looked good in the early 2010s, but in later ones the cuts, creases and body lines became an eyesore (the WR-V was the worst offender IMO). The newer ones (2018 Amaze and on) are much more cohesive but the thick window frames look boring.

MG needs not just a refresh but a design language in the first place. It is an understandable problem with rebadging cars from so many different manufacturers, but I think sticking a “family face” on them could give the brand so much more identity.
ron178 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th September 2024, 19:29   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
Which manufacturers do you think need to do a full revamp in their design language?
Hyundai has always had catchy and appealing designs. They consistently make efforts to keep their designs updated, whether it’s the earlier Grand i10 or the latest Grand i10 Nios. Similarly, the initial design of the Creta was good for its time and has evolved for the better over the years.

Tata has really turned things around in terms of car designs and overall look and feel with the Tata Bolt. From initially plain-looking designs to the latest futuristic designs, Tata has come a long way.

Volkswagen has always tried to stick with a classic design language. Even their updates are always subtle and never flashy or in-your-face. They aim to please customers across generations with their design language.

Mahindra's design story follows a similar line to Tata's. After a series of boxy, similar-pattern designs, they suddenly changed gears and started producing fresh designs. However, with their new designs, they always try to maintain some connection with their original design language. For example, although the Scorpio design has come a long way, you can still find some original elements in it.

Maruti and Honda designs are a mixed bag. They are mostly conservative with their design language and are not really famous for flashy or innovative designs like Hyundai. They do try a few things here and there but mostly revert to a standard design approach.

To conclude, I think Maruti and Honda need to revamp or relook at their design language. Hyundai always keeps revisiting its design language, while Tata and Mahindra are already re-evaluating theirs. In the case of Volkswagen, they are known for their classic designs, and it’s better they stick with it.
It's Magic is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th September 2024, 23:18   #5
BHPian

Hyundai should've done an evolution to their fluidic design language instead of the nonsense that they are doing now. A 2014 Verna looks good even today, 10 years later. I don't think one will be able to say the same about a 2024 Verna in 2034.

Tata Motors had a very nice design language back in the day if you ask me. The Indica Vista, Manza, Aria all had a european flair kinda essence in them. Sure today's Tatas do look good but I've had enough of their family design language. The front end of Nexon, Harrier, Safari, Curvv and heck to some extent even Punch look the same. I would pick the 2010 era Tata cars design if I had a chance to choose now. Same with Hyundai.

Honda is a total mismatch if you ask me. The 3 cars that Honda sells in India look vastly different in design language. They sure do deserve a revamp in design language.

I would give a universal suggestion to all manufacturers, please drop the bottom headlight design theme that you guys are obsessed with. It was unique say 5 years back but now it has become excessively redundant.

Car manufacturers that need a complete design makeover/revamp-images-13.jpeg

So yes, if you ask me Honda needs a total revamp.

Last edited by Sheel : 15th September 2024 at 10:01. Reason: Spaced out the image. Thanks.
saikishor is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th September 2024, 09:57   #6
BHPian

What an interesting idea for a thread! This makes me think about the design language of every automaker in India. It is however pertinent to note that I am but a human and therefore these observations are highly subjective and may vary, person to person:

Tata Motors
The Indian auto giant has become way more dominant than it would've imagined ten years ago and this is in much part due to a lineup of feature-rich crossovers which also stylistically appeal to the masses. Tata has been able to take hot segments, whether it be "micro" SUV (Punch) or "mid-sized crossover" (Harrier) and delivered a car which sets the benchmark one segment higher in terms of features and experience.

Their design language is as uniform as their brand strategy, however, the problem is that it is highly monotonous and bar their non-SUV models (viz. Tiago, Tigor, Altroz) their cars share the same façade without any differentiation. Case in point: from a bus, it's hard for me to tell apart Punch and Nexon as it approaches from the front, since not much seperates them except length and a negligible height difference.

In my opinion, their best design era was probably that of the first generation Nexon, Harrier or the Gravitas (which later became Safari). Their best designed car was, without a sliver of doubt, the Safari Storme, which is as "man" as a SUV can get.

Hyundai
Hyundai has a reputation for good design in affordable cars which do not compromise on high-tech features and safety. Their product lineup has some of the best cars in every hot category and their nameplates have become very iconic, from the "i" twins to the classic C segment sedan (Verna) to their best selling Creta.

Their current design language is, inarguably, very polarizing. Some people ADORE the edgy, angular and young looks which the new generation of Hyundais bring while others despise it because of the very valid apprehension that it is unlikely to be timeless to any extent. I think they've matured in this design language as well with the recent Alcazar keeping the design philosophy while also looking significantly less polarizing than its 5 seater counterpart. But their design elements are interesting, whether it be the "tubelight" headlight design or the blacked out grill on the Creta. Some of their models, despite recent refreshments, also will stay timeless, especially their i series hatchbacks, the i10 and the i20.

I'm, having grown up in a 2011 Hyundai i20 and currently (as I type) in our 2016 Grand i10, a strong proponent of Fluidic Design and Fluidic Sculpture design languages which Hyundai adhered to. Especially their designs in the latter half of the last decade (2016-20) were some of the best car designs of cars sold ever in India.
idontdrivedoi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th September 2024, 10:02   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Kudos to Tata for coming out of the egg shaped indica silhouette

In my opinion, Honda needs a design revamp very badly. None of their cars look great.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th September 2024, 10:12   #8
BHPian

Mercedes' Electric Lineup. Below is an S class Mercedes looking like a super cheap Ford/Renault station wagon.

Car manufacturers that need a complete design makeover/revamp-2654564d1726234246tmercedesbenzeqssuvindialaunchseptember16eqssuv2.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
In my opinion, Honda needs a design revamp very badly. None of their cars look great.
Honda does not need a design revamp. They just need to shut shop and go home. Their Indian operations are pretty much done.

Last edited by bordeaux : 15th September 2024 at 10:14.
bordeaux is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 15th September 2024, 10:29   #9
BHPian

I believe it's wrong to draw inferences about people's opinion on a certain design based on the sales numbers. Sale volumes depend on other factors too; take Toyotas for example, they sell well even if the basic design is the same.

IMHO, Hyundai and BMW try too hard to standout. They should, and I can't believe that I'm saying this, learn from Tata on how to standout whilst still being agreeable!

Mahindra should also learn a thing or two: the 700's front doesn't befit a car that costs 30 big ones. The Scorpio N could also do with a back lift.

Looking at the bigger picture, cars designs today, sadly, don't have a sensual appeal. Cars designs are too boxy to be drop dead gorgeous; just look at the curves on the Eagle Speedster, which - in my opinion - is the absolute Pinnacle of car designs. I'm not going to hold my breath until someone betters it!

Car manufacturers that need a complete design makeover/revamp-images-1.jpeg
buzzy_boy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th September 2024, 10:56   #10
BHPian

Mahindra - Each one of their models has always had a quirky design element that leaves a bad taste in one's mouth.

700's front fascia is over designed & looks ugly to my eyes couple that with the side profile which I wasn't a fan of since the 500

SN - That tailgate ruins a good looking vehicle overall

300 - Again that ugly front fascia like the 700
V0id2003 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th September 2024, 11:03   #11
BHPian

“A thing of beauty is a joy forever.”- John Keats.

I would say designing the shape of a car is an art and this is a gift that one is born with and not acquired with training by design schools.

There are some design houses like Pininfarina who have produced some timeless beauties. I am sure 75 % credit is because of some people who work for them who are gifted by birth and the rest 25 % is by the company which retains the talent.

When coming back to the thread, there are some very successful cars which sell in thousands but their shapes look strange to the most. I think it is because they are influenced by the management to give them designs that are more functional and utilitarian which the customers want. Sometimes the customers get used to such vehicles with not so good looking style but it grows on them as time passes.

My personal list of some vehicles which come to my mind immediately for which functionality takes precedence to beauty.

1.1st generation Maruti Dzire
2. Maruti Ritz
3. Mahindra Xylo
4. 1st generation Toyota Innova

I am not sure if my observation is correct. I find the EV vehicles look very beautiful compared to ICE cars.

Last edited by Mystic : 15th September 2024 at 11:27.
Old 15th September 2024, 11:41   #12
BHPian

For most car buyers, the visual appeal is the most important factor.
Enthusiasts though might gulp down looks if other mechanical are impressive.

We have an Evolutionary Bias and naturally prefer fluency, symmetry and proportion.
Our brains appreciate smooth, attractive designs and connect with them more easily.

In India, the change in appearance of the XUV 300 and the 2nd generation Tata Nexon significantly improved their success.

Citroen and other smaller players especially need a USP to make a dent in the market:

Imagine if the KUV 100, Quanto, Estillo or similar cars, despite being acceptable in other areas, had more compelling and efficient designs—how would that impact their appeal?

Even a Small Car with all its Size restrictions can be a looker. Agree to @ Mystic above designers are Special people:
Attached Thumbnails
Car manufacturers that need a complete design makeover/revamp-lexus-lf-sa.jpg  

Last edited by BSASLR : 15th September 2024 at 11:45.
BSASLR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2024, 12:28   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
Hey Omkar

Cool thread I must say

I feel Toyota and Audi should really revamp their design language . Both the brands just update their light designs and call it a face-lift. We could see this from the current fortuner's design.

Undeniably it is a really good car which has high sales number , but a face-lift should be more than just a lighting update

I must say Hyundai has done a fantastic job with keeping their cars upto date with the design as well as the features. Kudos to them

Last edited by suhaas307 : 16th September 2024 at 12:43. Reason: Spacing and formatting / Max 2 emoticons per post please.
RoadRambo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2024, 12:54   #14
BHPian

I would mention Jeep. Jeep is in dire need of a completely new lineup and a revamp of its current models. Instead, they seem to be trying to fool Indian customers by introducing flamboyant names like Overland, X version, Knight Edition, etc. These are merely basic cosmetic updates that feel more like aftermarket accessories. Jeep is falling short in all aspects with regard to Indian consumer demands.
Starwar19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2024, 20:02   #15
BHPian

IMHO, the Tata's and Mahindra's (from Indian car OEM perspective) have come a long way with their futuristic car designs. The XUV series from Mahindra and almost all recent cars from the Tata Motors wear this distinctive look.

While Tata Motors have been a trend setter in the unique positioning of the DRLs above the headlights on their SUV clad, we see most of the manufacturers follow their design suit now a days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks