Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What controls are must-haves on the spokes of the steering wheel of your car?
MID 138 56.56%
Infotainment 198 81.15%
Telephony 194 79.51%
Cruise control 173 70.90%
ADAS 52 21.31%
Drive modes 24 9.84%
Other (please mention in your post) 10 4.10%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 244. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2024, 13:03   #1
Team-BHP Support

What controls are must-haves on the spokes of the steering wheel of your car?

For a while now, multifunction steering wheels have been available in cars - even those in the lower segments. These are normally located on the left and right spokes of the steering and make it easy for the driver to control the infotainment system, set the instrument cluster / MID to his liking and more.

With every passing year, cars are being equipped with new features. As a result, car manufacturers are trying to squeeze in many more controls on the steering wheel. We see buttons for telephony, driving modes, cruise control, ADAS and more. This causes steering wheels to appear cluttered. Too many buttons also means that you may not find the correct button for a function. As an example, you might end changing the radio station instead of adjusting the volume. Touch-type control can make things worse. Further, as you rotate the wheel, you might operate a function unintentionally.

The Mercedes GLC SUV I drove last year had extremely cluttered steering wheel spokes. Controls for the MID, infotainment, telephony, cruise control and more were crammed in. All controls were touch-type, which made matters worse:
What controls are must-haves on the spokes of the steering wheel of your car?-merc.jpg

If you ask me, there are too many buttons on the spokes of the steering wheels of some cars. Many are not required to be used on a regular basis. Some might not be used by the owners for many months or years together.

The Hyundai Ioniq 5's steering wheel has multiple touch-type switches and 4 toggle switches!
What controls are must-haves on the spokes of the steering wheel of your car?-hyundai1.jpg

One can scan through the MID, the infotainment, telephony and ADAS features:
What controls are must-haves on the spokes of the steering wheel of your car?-hyundai2.jpg

Thankfully the drive mode selector switch has been placed below:
What controls are must-haves on the spokes of the steering wheel of your car?-hyundai3.jpg

However, some controls are almost necessary to have on the wheel. These controls may depend on the users' driving patterns and personal choice. In my opinion, only the controls for the features we use every day should be on the spokes of the steering wheel. These include the infotainment, telephony and MID. Other controls should be placed elsewhere.

Among all cars, I have liked how Ford placed switches on the steering wheel of the 2018 Ecosport:
What controls are must-haves on the spokes of the steering wheel of your car?-ford-1.jpg

The left spoke houses the buttons to toggle between the MID's features, while buttons for the audio controls, voice commands and telephone are located on the right spoke. A mute button was missed though:
What controls are must-haves on the spokes of the steering wheel of your car?-ford-2.jpg

Buttons for the not-so-regularly used cruise control feature were placed lower on the steering:
What controls are must-haves on the spokes of the steering wheel of your car?-ford-3.jpg

So, what are the control you feel are must-haves on the spokes of the steering wheel of your car?

Last edited by Aditya : 24th August 2024 at 13:11.
Aditya is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 24th August 2024, 13:13   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: What controls are must-haves on the spokes of the steering wheel of your car?

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line.
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2024, 14:30   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: What controls are must-haves on the spokes of the steering wheel of your car?

Of course, I still own cars with no buttons on the steering wheel, apart from the horn! eg the Mercedes W123 and Alfa Romeo Spider.

But I do have and had cars with buttons on the steering wheel. As Aditya mentions I only need the functions I use constantly on the Steering wheel.

In order of importance I prefer;

1 Cruise Control, set, speed up/down/re-engage
2 phone pick up, volume and disconnect
3 Sound system, volume and station and or song selection/forward

That’s about it. I like very busy dashboards with lots of switches and stalks, handles and so on. But a few essentials must be on the steering wheel. The rest I’ll handle “off steering wheel”, so to speak

Jeroen

Last edited by Aditya : 25th August 2024 at 21:16. Reason: Typo
Jeroen is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th August 2024, 14:40   #4
BHPian

Drive a Sonet DCT, these are what I use
- Volume & Song change
- Voice command button
- Phone control
- Cruise Control
Old 24th August 2024, 15:59   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
So, what are the control you feel are must-haves on the spokes of the steering wheel of your car?
Consider having controls that you frequently use while driving as part of the spokes on the car steering wheel.
For me, these controls would include:

1. MID (Multi-Information Display): Although I rarely interact with MID options while driving, having them is beneficial.
2. Infotainment: This includes volume control and track changes.
3. Telephony: Functions related to calling.
4. Cruise Control: While not necessary, it’s good to have.

Regarding the poll options, I’m comfortable without having MID, ADAS, and Drive Mode options on the steering wheel since I rarely use them while driving my car.
Old 24th August 2024, 16:28   #6
BHPian

I have been driving a 2003 mitsubishi lancer since 2009 and its has only essential electronics and no steering controls. Mother's Honda Jazz's steering has track change and volume buttons which I found very convenient since music is must while driving. Recently bought Tata Safari facelift and I am facing a tough time with steering controls. Those corner switches are placed near the very edge and I almost always end up pressing either left or right edge keys while taking turns and its very inconvenient. I am just happy with volume n track controls. I'd prefer changing car settings from Infotainment screen rather than steering wheel.
Old 24th August 2024, 17:30   #7
Senior - BHPian

Infotainment, MID, call pick/reject and cruise, in that order, are the important ones for me. I don't engage cruise control often but for those who do, having the controls in front of you 'on' the steering wheel really helps. Unlike other options in the poll, cruise control is one which is always engaged when the vehicle is doing decent speeds. Having small buttons peeking out from behind the wheel, like in some Toyotas, is not only inconvenient but can also be dangerous.

Last edited by self_driven : 24th August 2024 at 17:32.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2024, 18:21   #8
BHPian

Other. Which means None.

I just hate controls on the steering, except the horn pad. The steering should have nice leather stitched on. That's it. I hardly ever use a control from the steering. Prefer from the main dash!
asingh1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2024, 18:27   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Have seen these in person and they look awesome. Not sure if other brands also offer similar designs in modern times.

What controls are must-haves on the spokes of the steering wheel of your car?-wh1.jpg

What controls are must-haves on the spokes of the steering wheel of your car?-wh2.jpg

What controls are must-haves on the spokes of the steering wheel of your car?-wh3.jpg
androdev is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 24th August 2024, 18:35   #10
BHPian

Already it has most of the buttons which are needed while driving. Microphone for the voice assistant and calls is needed on the steering wheel.
A/C on off button will be very helpful for the people who often switch on and off.
Old 25th August 2024, 09:33   #11
BHPian

No matter how many and what buttons, but I always find it confusing to operate any button while steering wheel is rotated and end up pressing wrong button and sometimes I end up increasing volume instead of decreasing.

Case in point when steering is upside down the buttons on right are on the left and vice versa, and it does not end here, the up buttons are down now.
To confuse further your right side up button on steering is left side down button when rotated.

Am I only one whos head spins to locate the buttons while operating the steering wheel ?

Note : I have no issues when the steering is straight though

Last edited by xway : 25th August 2024 at 09:37. Reason: spelling
Old 25th August 2024, 09:46   #12
BHPian

I have ordered a refurbished MOMO for my Pajero V33 Classic 3.0 V6. Exquisite feeling of wood, a bit of leather and a touch of horn. Just what i love.

What controls are must-haves on the spokes of the steering wheel of your car?-momo.jpg

What controls are must-haves on the spokes of the steering wheel of your car?-v33-classic.jpg
G-One is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 25th August 2024, 10:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

I prefer the steering wheel spokes to house only the most essential items be it the telephony/call, MID/radio toggle, volume controls.

And my A4 has exactly the same, simple yet very functional setup:-

What controls are must-haves on the spokes of the steering wheel of your car?-steering-wheel1.jpg

On the left, there are buttons for scrolling the MID left to right and a general 'view' button. There's also the 'list' button which doesn't do anything, atleast on my Premium Plus. On the right, there's the '*' button for toggling between media and FM radio + button for invoking mobile call log + onboard voice 'Hey Audi' + song/playlist left & right button.
The scroller also doubles up as a important 'mute' button, even muting the Radio.
JoshMachine is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th August 2024, 10:26   #14
BHPian

Which is India's current "National Steering Wheel" ???

- That was the topic of discussion among me and my pals last afternoon at a local chai point.

I, for one, love the flat-bottom with thumb-contours steering wheel of my XL6 and the Swift. And it turns out that this steering wheel layout, with same control layout and configurations, is India's "top selling" (kinda) steering wheel. Get this - across the Swift, Ertiga, Baleno, Dzire, Brezza, Fronx, Grand Vitara, XL6, Rumion, Hyryder, and Glanza - this unit got into the hands of a whopping 1.10 Lakh new car owners last month alone!

What controls are must-haves on the spokes of the steering wheel of your car?-20240825-09_56_50imageresizer.ashx-1200795.png

It has 2 versions. One is the the flat-bottom with thumb-contours version on all, except the Brezza, Grand Vitara/Hyryder, and Jimny. The latter cars get the non-flat-bottom, non-thumb-contours version. The controls layout are the same across both.

I love everything about it, except the painful fact that the horn pad is only in the center and I can't simply reach with my thumb to honk. Have to resort to wrist-forearm acrobatics or dedicatedly depute a palm to honk. Though many dislike this dated design, for me simple stuff like having the telephony controls off the face of the steering, but just below on a ledge, ensure I don't accidentally press call in heavy traffic turns.
Miel is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th August 2024, 10:27   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

None !

With Indian driving conditions, I just want an easy to access and use horn pad on the steering wheel. Today's cars have a small horn pad in the centre, and often one that's harder compared to cars from even recent past.

Volume buttons- once set, dont change it much
Calls related buttons ? Why talk on the phone when driving ? And if the call is thru the HU, then it's broadcast to all in the car.
Cruise Control - not much use inside city.

For those who like driving modes - again, do you change it so often than you cant reach a button on the centre console between the seats ?
condor is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks