Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2024, 13:33   #121
BHPian

Re: The Indian Middle Class isn't buying cars like it used to

Oh I thought I was the only one in this boat! My 2012 Vento TDI has been getting long in the tooth, what with a 170K on the odo. And I have been test driving cars for nearly 4 years now! But I just can't find anything worthwhile to replace my Vento. Nothing below 35L from the current lot comes close to the Vento in terms of a proper upgrade. Everything is either not safe (Hyundai), rebadging ordinary products (Toyota branded Marutis), third world versions of reasonable cars (VW, Hyundai-Kia). Even post the 35L mark - VW twins removed the diesel workhorse - and even the feel of the 2.0 TDI which was really incredible. Jeep's cars are decent, but the company is on deathbed. C5 was never meant to sell - even if it is an excellent product. Stellantis has no interest in that car. Camry is a near perfect product but I cannot come to compromise on quality of ICE, lack of CarPlay etc which are things that I will live with on an everyday basis (Why Toyota Why), and suddenly we are in 50L territory. And even then, hardly anything worthwhile!

Even after paying 5 times what I paid for the Vento, there's no complete product! Forget cheaper upgrades.
Annibaddh is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th September 2024, 14:07   #122
BHPian

Was supposed to replace our 2014 Honda City iDTEC this year, which was bought used in the year 2017 with an EV or a Petrol AT due to less usage after I moved to USA an year ago and also, it has run close to 2L Kms (1.89L Kms run till date).

But, due to economic reasons, had to retain this car instead. Since we had planned to retain the City at least for 2-3 years, I got the suspension overhauled, repainted the whole car in the year 2022 and got the timing kit replaced along with clutch overhaul and other things done recently. All were done at ASC itself since we couldn't find a proper FNG to do these things.

Also, since we have Hycross for other purposes, the City is barely used and driven these days and my mom, who is using the City in my absence, prefers to be chauffeured in the Hycross these days.

The replacement for City seems to be a tough thing for us since we love the rear seat space and comfort of this car to the core. As of today, the new Verna felt apt as an upgrade to my City in terms of rear seat comfort, performance and reliability and even a Creta would be a good upgrade from the City.

What's scaring me in retaining the City is the Honda's bleak future in India. If Honda doesn't launch any exciting vehicles, then they might have to go Ford way by exiting from Indian market.

But, still, there is an itch in letting go of our City due to its age and want more exciting car, which can match the City in terms rear seat space, dynamics and reliability.

If nothing works, will keep the City as a beater car and get a 3 door Thar AT if possible.
Old 9th September 2024, 21:01   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunSam View Post
I bought a 2010 Civic in 2022 with around 75K~ on the odo. I've given it some TLC and carried out all the necessary replacements wear & tear wise, and I must say that it runs quite smoother than most modern cars. It is my daily driver, and is good to go for another 3-5 years with just basic maintenance. IMO, keeping our cars in good condition and driving them for as long as possible is not only financially beneficial, but also the most environmental friendly.

Attachment 2651327
Totally agree with you. I picked up a 2011 Jazz with 46k kms on odo last year. Done a major service costed 11k and car is ready to go. Done 9k kms in it so far and the car is performing flawlessly. As the 1.2 hatchback category didn't see any great changes since a long time, I don't miss a new car except some fancy screens which I don't mind.
Attached Thumbnails
The Indian Middle Class isn't buying cars like it used to-img_20230716_12392001.jpeg  

MiamiBlue is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2024, 01:32   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik.guru View Post
P.S. - happy to share links of articles and research papers about inequality and the poverty index in case anyone is interested !
Please do share these!
Old 10th September 2024, 10:37   #125
BHPian

The current macro environment makes me feel as a young car owner, I might visit this thread a few years down the line.

The car industry is in flex now with manufacturers confused between EVs, hybrids and ICEs and governments aren't helping either. While it's true that the customer is winning in some cases, I feel the Indian customer is also loosing. Just look at the following:

- My cousin in the US bought a 250k mile run pre-owned car for $700 for his use and such high mileage vehicles are not uncommon there. However, the Indian govt wants to ban vehicles older than 15 years. EU still has TDI engines but India hardly has any left, with newer ones facing just a 10 year life span.

- Other than an Innova or a Fortuner, there are hardly any common cars in India than might actually live upto 250k miles (4 lakh Kms), should someone manage to achieve it before the 15 year lifespan. While manufacturers do have vehicles capable of such mileage (RAV4, Octavia, many Honda's and Nissan's) , our road conditions and lack of these models or overpriced CBUs make them unavailable to most people, and overpriced to those who can afford them.

- Even if you buy a CKD or CBU from a non luxury brand, you'd end up getting the shorter end of the stick. Prime example here is the India spec x-trail, or the lack of an AWD superb even with a 60L sticker shock.

- Then we have the pricing. Just imagine - a Prius (hybrid) used to actually be on sale in India about a decade ago, but today, entry level India spec hybrids start at a whopping 20L, and they're a far cry from what a Prius is. These are new cars, while the used car Market being a function of inferior builds and shorter lifespan are also shot!

While lower sales figures sound like a boon for buyers, I feel the Indian car buyer would never have a win!
Auto_guy_101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2024, 10:57   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiBlue View Post
Totally agree with you. I picked up a 2011 Jazz with 46k kms on odo last year. Done a major service costed 11k and car is ready to go. Done 9k kms in it so far and the car is performing flawlessly. As the 1.2 hatchback category didn't see any great changes since a long time, I don't miss a new car except some fancy screens which I don't mind.
Your Jazz looks mint! I'm sure these will run forever with basic maintenance, as they are mechanically very simple and proven. As for fancy screens, I got a budget Blaupunkt HU with wired Android auto and Carplay, problem solved
RunSam is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2024, 11:11   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

As a middle class buyer, I believe we should stop buying cars for a few years.

The automobile companies, our government and taxation, road infrastructure, city and town planning don't deserve the hefty amount of money that they drain from us.

Specially after BS6, the automobile prices have gone through the roof. For an example, I bought a top end diesel Altroz for 11.2 lakhs in 2021 October. The same car costs north of 14 lakhs now.

An innova Hycross hybrid touches 40 lakhs. Heck, any decent Compact SUV or crossover crosses 20 lakhs on road.

People should stop buying cars and let the automobile companies come back to their senses. Inflating the demand, exaggerating waiting periods and what not!! I feel the slowdown in Auto market is well deserved.

Government won't change. They will keep continuing breaking the backs of the middle class.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 10th September 2024 at 11:12.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 10th September 2024, 11:25   #128
BHPian

Reliability has improved in the last two decades and people are keeping their cars for longer, with some old cars better than new when it comes to the driving experience.

I guess the salaried class is also worried about a potential recession, which seems to be brewing for the last six months.

Cars are also way too expensive for what they offer. Car manufacturers should trim down the features list and offer affordable cars. Not everyone wants a sunroof, ventilated seats, leather seats, auto wipers and headlamps. Can save so much more money. Car companies have become way to greedy and are only trying to sell top-end variants to help their bottom line.
Old 10th September 2024, 11:42   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik.guru View Post
I love this topic!
....who also happens to work in the development and public policy sector, I have a lot to say!

Good post but I am surprised that you have not covered the biggest macro-economic factor that influences auto sales - Interest Rates.

First, in any economy, high growth leads to higher inflation (too much money chases too few goods). To bring down inflation, central banks (e.g. RBI) increases interest rates. Rising interest rates slows down growth, which brings down inflation. If growth slows down too much, central banks bring down interest rates to stimulate growth. And the cycle goes on.

Additionally, if there are major economic shocks (Dotcom bust in 2001, Global Financial crisis 2008, Covid pandemic 2020-21), central banks everywhere bring down interest rates rapidly to keep things cheaper and stimulate growth. But unfortunately, this brings in inflation and you see the cycle playing out.

To prove this, let me show you three charts:

First, the RBI interest rates over last 2 decades:

The Indian Middle Class isn't buying cars like it used to-interestrates_2_decades.png

I have marked the 3 major economic shocks and the drastic reduction in interest rates that happened.

Below charts are sourced from the fantastic "2023 Auto Sales Analysis" thread.

The Indian Middle Class isn't buying cars like it used to-annualsales.jpg

The Indian Middle Class isn't buying cars like it used to-annualsalesgrowth.jpg

The Indian Middle Class isn't buying cars like it used to-salesgrowth.jpg

The correlation of low interest rates with high growth in auto sales is very easy to see. For example, the world was coming out of the greatest financial crisis in 2009-10-11, yet auto sales zoomed because of low interest rates. Same for 2018 or 2022-23.

This economic cycle is well-known and well understood. Currently, we are in the high interest rate-slowing growth rate phase. We will have low or negative growth in 2024 and 2025. RBI is expected to reduce rates over the next 1-1.5 years, which will restart the growth cycle by 2026-27.

Pro-tip: If you are planning to buy a car by cash, now is the best time to do it. If you are planning to buy it on EMI, plan it late next year or early 2026. But again, more people buying it in 2026 will make the manufacturers increase the prices .

OT, contrary to popular belief, politicians everywhere know this. Follow the US presidential elections debate and you will see that politicians are critical of their central bank that interest rates are not being brought down to simulate growth.

Quote:
P.S. - happy to share links of articles and research papers about inequality and the poverty index in case anyone is interested !
OT for this thread, poverty reduction and inequality are not mutually exclusive. Poverty reduction is an absolute measure. Inequality is a relative measure. A whole population can get out of poverty yet if some part of the population is growing at a faster rate than others, there will be growing inequality. Everybody being equally poor means there is no inequality. For poorer countries, it is necessary to focus on poverty reduction first. Inequality is a secondary goal.
DigitalOne is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2024, 14:05   #130
Senior - BHPian

I don't know if my post is relevant to this thread. But, I have been following Team-bhp ownership reviews since 2007.
Gone are the days where the ownership reviews are mostly of humble Alto's, Santro's, Zen's and Wagon R's.
Just a glance at the ownership reviews in our forum, majority of the reviews are for cars costing above 10L, which either suggests that the income, spending curve, or both have shifted vastly.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2024, 14:21   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
I don't know if my post is relevant to this thread. But, I have been following Team-bhp ownership reviews since 2007.
Gone are the days where the ownership reviews are mostly of humble Alto's, Santro's, Zen's and Wagon R's.
Just a glance at the ownership reviews in our forum, majority of the reviews are for cars costing above 10L, which either suggests that the income, spending curve, or both have shifted vastly.
Definitely people on an average have moved up the ladder. Also, many more options are now available compared to a couple of decades back, so choice factor along with higher income also comes to play. Previously even people with black money would only buy a Matui 1000 at max because this is what was offered at best

Also, even back then cars were overpriced just like now For eg. we bought our Maruti Zen in 2002 for about 4L. Adjusted for inflation @6%, present value of this money would be Rs. 14.5L today! For this money, one can get a much bigger and feature rich cars today!!

Last edited by saket77 : 10th September 2024 at 14:23.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks