Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2024, 09:33   #1
Bit
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
New Car features that you will PAY not to have

Consider this thread as a collection of thoughts that exists as fragments in various car review threads here, in the hopes that someday manufacturers might visit this thread to gain awareness about collective consciousness of Indian petrol heads.

So, what are some features in recent cars that are so uncool (and can not be disabled), while also costing the car company a healthy amount of money but you would take a variant WITHOUT that any day?

To make it a li'l more dramatic: If there are two exact variants of a model with the difference of just that one feature - where the variant without it costs some extra (even if a namesake amount, say 1000 rs): You will pick the higher priced variant by paying additional moolah.

It's not about just "un-necessary" or "doesn't matter" kind of feature, but the ones that you actually find worse than their downgraded version and often found speaking to yourself "why do companies even spend money to provide this??!!"

Last edited by Bit : 20th August 2024 at 09:42.
Bit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2024, 09:40   #2
BHPian

Re: New Car features that you will PAY not to have

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post
So, what are some features in recent cars that are so uncool (and can not be disabled), and also cost the car company a healthy amount of money but you would take a variant WITHOUT that any day?

To make it a li'l more dramatic: If there are two exact variants of a model with the difference of just that one feature - where the variant without it costs some extra (even if a namesake amount, say 1000 rs): You will pick the higher priced variant by paying additional moolah.

It's not about just "un-necessary" or "doesn't matter" kind of feature, but the ones that you actually find worse than their downgraded version and often found speaking to yourself "why do companies even spend money to provide this??!!"
Personally, the unnecessary and overdone chrome garnishing on the car. I am not a chrome person and never liked those shiny titbits here, there, everywhere on the car. It appears for auto manufacturers, elegance and opulence means slap some chrome here & there on the car.

I would buy a lower trim car just to avoid those chromes and if it's inevitable, then would get them replaced with body colour paint or wraps.
ashkamath is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 20th August 2024, 09:51   #3
BHPian

The retarded start-stop "feature" that resets itself at every power-cycle.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 20th August 2024, 10:03   #4
BHPian

It’s not a feature but piano black glossy material which is getting extensively used these days in car interiors.
Simply hate this trend, and I’m ready to pay to get rid of it.
DivyanshuDiv is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 20th August 2024, 10:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

1. Digital Dashboard

2. Beige / White interiors

3. Start Stop that keeps resetting itself

4. Sunroof

5. Huge screens on the dashboard

6. Ugly Alloys

7. Lack of safety standards

8. RFT’s

9. Space Saver tyres

10. Motion Sensor controls

11. Voice recognition

12. Lack of buttons

13. DSG’s that continue to break down (so often its become a common feature)

14. Engine and power downsizing with newer models quite contrary to earlier practice (again done so often, it’s almost become a feature)
AMG Power is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th August 2024, 10:28   #6
BHPian

My list is as below

1. Start Stop feature

2. Digital Dashboard

3. Huge infotainment system

4. White/light coloured interiors

5. Identical tail lamp design/ those tail lamps running across the rear of the vehicle
Oppanna is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2024, 10:32   #7
BHPian

Unnecessary, forced me to buy without option was,

Sunroof (What is its purpose? Stand and act like baboons?)

Addition to this is the unwanted gimmick, something all manufacture call WOW factor started by MG

Voice recognition: to open sunroof, windows..... A simple flick of button or switch is too much of hard work I guess.
sajands is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th August 2024, 10:39   #8
BHPian

1. Huge screens. Massive distraction, waste of space. All you need from the infotainment system is usually 1) the ability to select music 2) maps. Do we need 15 or 21 inch screens for this?

2. Touch controls: Which idiot decided that the user interface of a phone, which is a device you are staring at while using, should be ported to car controls, which should work without anyone looking at them. Worse is these cars with large touchscreens, where you have to go through a few taps before you can even change commonly used controls like AC fan speed.

3. White Interiors: Have the designers been to their own showroom and seen how gunky the test drive cars start looking in a few weeks. Another example of form over function. Designing the interior to look good in a brochure not in real life. Give me tan or black interiors any day.

4. Speed Alerts: I know this is regulatory driven but one of the big reasons which stops me from upgrading to a new car, is getting one with loud annoying chimes at 80 and then 120 kmph.

5. Backseat Seatbelt reminders: Another regulation driven, poorly executed feature where the seatbelt warning comes on even if no one is sitting in the backseat.

6. Large low profile tyres on top variants: Looks good, feels bad, punctures easier. For the condition of our roads why force top variant buyers to go for 18-19 inch tyres, when the better choices are higher profile 16 inchers?

Last edited by Silverfire : 20th August 2024 at 10:42. Reason: Added a point
Silverfire is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2024, 10:39   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
The retarded start-stop "feature" that resets itself at every power-cycle.
Let me get technical here. The start-stop feature is also detrimental to the engine life. In Turbo petrol engines, proper and continuous engine oil circulation is one of the primary requirement to run the engine smooth, perform well and last longer.

The turbine in the turbo runs at extremely high RPM and gets heated up pretty quickly and the engine oil keeps the Turbo temperature under control. When the engine is running, the oil circulation occurs and everything is fine. When the engine switches off, the engine oil circulation also stops and Turbo cooling also stops. Then the driver, presses his brake /accelerator and engine starts and he speeds away.

However the oil circulation hasn't yet commenced within the turbo when the engine starts and driver pulls away. Without adequate oil circulation in the turbo, the system life gets reduced and when this happens repeatedly a number of times every day, we know the turbo system is going to give up sooner than later.

Turbo engine needs a minute or two idling after starting, so that the engine oil circulation starts and engine oil temperature increases to its working temp. The start-stop feature defeats this process as no one waits for 30 seconds after the engine is started, before they move.

Start-Stop feature & a Turbo petrol engine don't go hand in hand.

Further, I am not a Sunroof guy. I ride my motorcycle when I need the sun above my head and wind in my face. So, a sunroof in a car is a big NO to me. I personally also feel that the structural integrity of a car with sunroof is inferior to that with No sunroof. Add to that, the dust, smoke and other pollutants entering the car through the roof when it's open. Then there's maintenance issue, then the leakage issue and so on. A sunroof is an extra burden/concern to me in my car and the benefits appear minimal.

Hence, when I wanted to book Mahindra XUV 3XO, I loved the AX5 variant for its essential features such as driver seat height adjustment and rear defogger, wash & wiper etc, but sunroof was a big No and I booked the base version MXI for that one single reason that base version didn't get a sunroof.

Last edited by ashkamath : 20th August 2024 at 10:55.
ashkamath is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 20th August 2024, 10:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

The features I would love to let go are below.

1. No chrome : I end up paying more to get it dechromed.
2. Run Flats : I wanted to change the RFTs on the BMW to tubeless straight out of the showroom however I would supposedly lose warranty. So I am stuck with them. God knows why I need RFTs when I have a spare.
3. The Auto Reset part of the Start Stop function: I dont mind the Start Stop function, however I don't like the part where it auto resets.

Unlike most of us here, I love the panaromic sunroof. Kind off like a semi must-have for me nowadays. I never open the glass, except maybe once a month for few seconds to keep the motor running however the shade is always open. I love the airy feel inside thanks to it. I am actually contemplating moving to 5D Thar from by 3D because of it. I hate small sunroofs though they provide no use.
Old 20th August 2024, 11:38   #11
BHPian

1. Needed: Automatic emergency braking permanent ON/OFF feature (Horrible on my Tucson - turns back on every time you restart the car, and the overanxious-than-me system has almost caused someone to rear end my car more than 3 times!)

2. White/beige/light coloured leatherette - please switch to medium tan/brown - the Elevate looks awesome in that regard.

3. Needed: Android Auto & Bluetooth warning countdown at startup of a car - also need temporary disable on demand!

4. Electric boot opening - I've never imagined this as a much needed feature - infact its extremely cumbersome when going into malls and hotels and having to put the car into P mode so that the boot lid can be opened - manufacturers can't just copy international features and paste them into Indian use cases!

5. Electric seat adjust without memory features - really, what's the advantage of electrical adjustment of seats unless you can save your settings?

6. Needed: Drive mode saving feature - all cars that I know of, restart with the medium level drive mode - what if I wish to permanently set it into economy mode for my chauffeur driven car? Mahindra starts with Zap, Merc and Hyundai start with Comfort mode and so on.

Reppy

Last edited by reppy : 20th August 2024 at 11:39.
Old 20th August 2024, 12:07   #12

1. Colour changing LEDs in the door panels.

2. Sunroof

3. Cushions as part of "mandatory" accessories.

4. Piano / Gloss Black, Chrome & Faux Wood finish.
zionite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2024, 12:59   #13

1) ADAS - Unnecessary intrusion into driving, technology still not completely ripe.
2) Touch controls for Air Conditioning - Hate taking eyes off the road.
3) Alloys greater than 17 or maybe 18 inches at max in diameter - Peace of mind to hammer through imperfect road conditions without fear of damage.
4) Auto Start-Stop - At least give an option to turn it off permanently
AdvanceStarter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2024, 13:06   #14
BHPian

Interesting this thread came up just as I read this
Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Is it new thing or same old?
I would pay for the OEM to NOT track and especially call me regarding my vehicle status
anandhsub is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2024, 13:46   #15
BHPian

1. Unsafe car structure - obvious reasons.
2. Two spoke steering wheel - I H-A-T-E it.
3. Panoramic sunroof - I don't trust a huge portion of the roof being glass (however tough it might be), where it should have been metal. It's unfortunate that for new cars, a person who doesn't want it simply can't avoid it unless they go for lower variants and lose a lot of features.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks