Re: New Car features that you will PAY not to have

I just do not need any of the following:-
1. Sunroof/Panaromic Roof.
2. Electric adjust seats.
3. Electric closing tailgate.
4. Touchscreen based controls.
5. Auto wipers, auto lights etc.
6. Idle start stop function.
7. Low profile tyres on excessively large alloy wheels.

I will pay for a safe body shell, full safety kit like ABS,
6/8/10 airbags. traction control, Electronic Stability Control etc.
Old 21st August 2024, 10:09   #32
BHPian

1 Led Headlights,
2 Traction control in 4H in 4wd vehicles
ambarkhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2024, 10:20   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
I just do not need any of the following:-
1. Sunroof/Panaromic Roof.
2. Electric adjust seats.
3. Electric closing tailgate.
4. Touchscreen based controls.
5. Auto wipers, auto lights etc.
6. Idle start stop function.
7. Low profile tyres on excessively large alloy wheels.

I will pay for a safe body shell, full safety kit like ABS,
6/8/10 airbags. traction control, Electronic Stability Control etc.

But will you pay extra to remove those features?
Old 21st August 2024, 10:30   #34

Operating HVAC, sunroof and other stuff with voice controls. Nobody needs that. Adds complexity to the car and cause price bumps. Take my money instead and leave my car alone. And hard NO on putting those voice buttons on my steering wheel! ARHGGHGHH!!!
Old 21st August 2024, 10:36   #35
Senior - BHPian

1. Sunroof.
2. Intrusive ADAS. In India this is a disaster waiting to happen.
3. Annoying beeps at 80 kmph, I mean come on 80 is fairly normal speeds on most highways. I understand 100 to 120 kmph but 80 is overkill.
Old 21st August 2024, 11:20   #36
BHPian

Few features, I would be happy to sacrifice

1. Idle Start-Stop function
2. All touch controls
3. Ambient lightening
4. Gesture controlled tailgate
5. Electric seat adjustment. it is a good feature but don't want to pay extra for this. I mean how many times do you change the driving position in a single-hand-driven car
6. Auto headlamp and auto wiper
7. Flush doors
8. Paid app subscriptions
Old 21st August 2024, 11:31   #37
BHPian

I would prefer not to have the following features even if they are provided without any extra cost
1. Sunroof of any kind- never used them
2. Touch screen controls, particularly for AC- too much attention needed to
operate while driving
3. ADAS of any type- too intrusive, not for our roads
4. LED reflector headlights and fog lights- pretty much useless in rain and fog.
On a normal night drive, they don't offer a good view of the road and you
get blinded by a oncoming halogen headlamp (yellow color). The LED
headlamp succeeds in blinding the oncoming driver, effectively resulting in
two blind drivers crossing each other.
5. Paid Connected car Apps- purely money minded.
pjnayak64 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2024, 11:56   #38
BHPian

Pleasantly surprised to find so many BHP-ians diss sunroof even though it seems to be very popular otherwise. Just proves I am in the right company!

My dislikes:

1. Yups, sunroof. See no logic in Indian context.

2. Auto switch off engine. It is a bane in Indian summers at the traffic signals!!! Treat it as a health hazard and ban it!

3. Light coloured seats and floor mats. Don't the auto manufacturers have kids or pets at home???

4. Default wireless charging for the mobile storage slot. I don't need my mobile to be constantly on the boil even when I am using Android Auto/Car Play. I appreciate wirless connectivity but not neccessarily default wireless charging!

5. Deafult auto transmission on higher ends. I may want other features but not neccessarily AT. Given AT adds to the price considerably, the manufacturers should offer variants with all top features in MT.

6. In-built navigation. You usually have to subscribe to the map provider in 2-3 years. Our mobile navigation apps are more than sufficient. Just a simple plug in is enough, thank you very much!!!

Last edited by amitayu : 21st August 2024 at 11:58. Reason: Adding new point
Old 21st August 2024, 11:57   #39
BHPian

Many are talking about features they don't want. But I'll pay extra for these downgrades!
  • Being allowed to repair at FNG during the warranty period. The company has to make the parts available over the counter for my VIN or via online (1st party) as part of this deal. I'll pay more for the car during purchase.
  • Remove all internet connectivity. No ping home, remote update/diagnostics etc. I'll pay a one time charge if these get removed from the factory. I'm happy with doing all the connected features via my phone and other gadgets that I'll install. Apple carplay/android auto via my phone is fine.
  • A manual, with good great-ratios and 6 gears.
  • Manual parking brake.
  • Full size spare (no space saver).
  • Will pay more for Sunroof delete from the factory.
  • If I'm buying a MUV/SUV - will pay more for 3rd row delete, which can make 2nd row comfortable and/or make boot space huge.
  • Engine oil temp gauge. Analog or just degree C is also fine.
  • Free revving, NA, 4-cyl, 1.5L+, with slightly less power / torque and less KMPL, instead of higher powered, abruptly torquey 1L - turbo-3-cyl
DriverLess is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2024, 12:00   #40

Guess many have mis-understood the intent of the question.

Features that are there in any car I own or drive and would be willing to pay for the company to remove it are as follows:

1. Auto Start / Stop: Mine is a torquey Scorpio-N and even time the auto start / stop is in action, vehicle would jerk when it stops and again when it stops and it becomes very uncomfortable to continue this way during peak traffic hours. Now my car start routing includes starting the car, buckle up and disable the auto start / stop feature. Am willing to pay money for the company to remove it.
New Car features that you will PAY not to have-start-stop.jpg

2. Touch Screen HVAC controls & Volume controls: It is down right a dangerous move by the manufacturers. Accessing the physical buttons becomes your muscle memory and once accustomed, you need not even take your eyes of the road to change volume to AC settings. On the other hand, touch screen controls demands you to take your eyes off the road to see where your hands are going and accessing the specific point in the screen. One can argue that it would become a practice but i can challenge, it would atleast require your split second attention and that is borrowed from the road alertness. I am even willing to pay 1000's to remove touchscreen controls to have physical buttons.
New Car features that you will PAY not to have-touchscreen.jpg
Old 21st August 2024, 12:03   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverLess View Post
Many are talking about features they don't want. But I'll pay extra for these downgrades!
  • Being allowed to repair at FNG during the warranty period. The company has to make the parts available over the counter for my VIN or via online (1st party) as part of this deal. I'll pay more for the car during purchase.
  • Remove all internet connectivity. No ping home, remote update/diagnostics etc. I'll pay a one time charge if these get removed from the factory. I'm happy with doing all the connected features via my phone and other gadgets that I'll install. Apple carplay/android auto via my phone is fine.
  • A manual, with good great-ratios and 6 gears.
  • Manual parking brake.
  • Full size spare (no space saver).
  • Will pay more for Sunroof delete from the factory.
  • If I'm buying a MUV/SUV - will pay more for 3rd row delete, which can make 2nd row comfortable and/or make boot space huge.
  • Engine oil temp gauge. Analog or just degree C is also fine.
  • Free revving, NA, 4-cyl, 1.5L+, with slightly less power / torque and less KMPL, instead of higher powered, abruptly torquey 1L - turbo-3-cyl
+1 on all above, especially the free revving NA 4-Cyl 1.5L+ engine against the smaller torquey 3 Cyl Turbo engines. The choice is getting lesser and lesser by the day.
ashkamath is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2024, 12:08   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
1. Digital Dashboard
Fully agree with you except for may be digital dashboard.

Last edited by bblost : 21st August 2024 at 12:11. Reason: reduced quoted post size.
Old 21st August 2024, 12:12   #43
BHPian

On the topic of Sunroofs, what would it take to permanently close it? Weld a sheet over it? Can it be done?
Old 21st August 2024, 12:12   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Pay extra not to have? C'mon, don't give manufacturers ideas to mint more money.

Anyways. Here goes.

1. Connected features- Fine that they can plug in to diagnose problems in the service centre, but no OTA stuff or connected features. Just give the option of closing/opening all windows and remote start in the key fob itself. Don't want anything on the phone or car communicating with anyone else.

2. Sunroof- Please. We need a top end variant without sunroof option. Without choice, I would choose a panoramic sunroof over an ordinary one.

3. Touch stuff- Oh, I don't need premium touch stuff for everything. Give physical controls for ACC and the touchscreen should be flanked with physical knobs and quick menu buttons.

4. Low profile tyres with huge wheel size- No thanks. I don't mind the looks sacrificed for superior ride comfort, less headache and replacement costs.

5. Will pay extra to not have auto start-stop- Why damage my engine and turbo so that the company can advertise 0.03km/l increase in their ARAI fuel efficiency figures.

6. LED headlights - Will pay extra to have powerful old school halogen headlights and foglamps than the latest LED white stuff.

7. I love the auto hold function in electric parking brakes, but for simpler cars I would like to have physical mechanical handbrakes instead.

8. Have column mounted gear selectors if it is electric. If there is no mechanical linkage and the selector is fully by wire, why would i want to sacrifice space in the centre console for the fake sportiness.

Last edited by DicKy : 21st August 2024 at 12:16.
DicKy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2024, 12:13   #45
BHPian

Few things I would not want in my future car and would like to get disabled.
1. The 80/120kmph beeps (its a govt mandate so no getting away from it)
2. Connected car features (I do not want my data to be shared or stored)
3. Level 2 ADAS features (I dont want to be surprised by the car emergency braking and anyway lane assist and such features are not good for india where we do not have proper lane markings)
4. Touch screen controls for AC (pls give me buttons instead)
5. LED Brakelights and highbeam headlamps (There is no need for this and these only create trouble for other drivers). Its a pain to follow a Baleno in traffic when its constantly braking and the tail lights just shine on your eyes.
6. Loud horns (I absolutely hate the horns on Hyundai/Kia cars).
7. Sunroofs ( Please give me better heat insulation instead like UV cut glass windows)
8. Low profile tyres (would be happy to pay to downgrade to a smaller but higher profile tyre for better ride quality)
the.dogfather is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks