Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2024, 13:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

Land Rover Defender V8 & PHEV variants discontinued in India. EDIT: Still available

Land Rover has made some changes to its Defender line-up in India. The V8 and PHEV variants of the SUV have been discontinued. Prices now start at Rs 1.04 crore (ex-showroom).

Land Rover Defender V8 & PHEV variants discontinued in India. EDIT: Still available-landroverdefender110.jpg

Land Rover continues to offer the Defender in three body styles – 90, 110 and 130, and two engine options – a 2.0-litre turbo-petrol and a 3.0-litre diesel. Prior to this rejig, the SUV also got a 2.0-litre plug-in hybrid and 5.0-litre V8 engine options.

The base Defender 90 is now available in a single X-Dynamic HSE trim priced at Rs 1.25 crore. It comes with a 3.0-litre diesel engine.

Land Rover Defender V8 & PHEV variants discontinued in India. EDIT: Still available-screenshot-20240814-134127.jpg

The Defender 110 comes in X-Dynamic HSE, X and Sedona Edition variants, with prices starting at Rs 1.04 crore. It is available with either the 2.0-litre petrol or 3.0-litre diesel engine.

Land Rover is offering two variants of the Defender 130 in India. These include the X-Dynamic HSE and X, priced at Rs 1.47 crore and Rs 1.57 crore, respectively. This version of the Defender is only available with the 3.0-litre diesel engine.

That being said, customers in India can still order the limited edition Defender Octa.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 14:17   #2
BHPian

re: Land Rover Defender V8 & PHEV variants discontinued in India. EDIT: Still available

Not really surprised. I've seen a lot of defenders wherever I've been to, including my own city. And everywhere its primary use is mall commuting or some sort of red-carpet entry, from Baraat to rallies to anything of similar sort, which even the base variant can very easily do. Made no business sense to continue producing it for maybe just 4-5 customers. I might be wrong
Old 17th August 2024, 18:49   #3

re: Land Rover Defender V8 & PHEV variants discontinued in India. EDIT: Still available

This seems to be an in-between pricing because of a few things -

- Defender 110 X Diesel and RRS now have a same price. That is not a good thing from a brand perspective

- JLR had the P400 inline 6 cylinder engine which got discontinued in many markets. I dont think there is any regulation that would not allow them to continue with it in India. I believe they wanted/want to bring the P425 V8 at a cost similar to the D 300(which is the new diesel they rolled out with MY25 globally). I am not sure what has happened though.

- Also, at some stage it is inevitable that Defenders get assembled in India. It is a no brainer. I think once they start allowing configuration of RR and RRS, they would be ready with Defenders as well.

It is only a matter of time but I still think they will pop a surprise with a P425 at D300 prices. That will be a cracker.

PS: The p300 engine is beautiful and adequate. However, it is just that, if you desire a little bit more, you dont get that in the P300.
Old 20th August 2024, 14:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

Land Rover Defender still available in V8 & PHEV variants in India

Last week, there were reports of select variants of Land Rover Defender being discontinued in India. These included the V8 and PHEV engine options that were no longer listed in the price list. However, we have just received a clarification from JLR India stating that there has been no change in the Defender variant line-up.

Land Rover Defender V8 & PHEV variants discontinued in India. EDIT: Still available-20201016122923_2020landroverdefenderfrontshowroom.jpg

The Defender is available with three petrol and a diesel engine option. These include the P300 2.0-litre petrol, P425 5.0-litre V8, P525 5.0-litre V8 and P635 4.4-litre V8 that is available in the new Defender Octa, as well as a D350 3.0-litre diesel engine.

That being said, some variants of the Defender are still not listed in the official price list available on the website, which, according to JLR India, was a “conscious decision”. The online configurator, though, does allow customers to spec their Defender with either V8 or PHEV powertrains.

The Land Rover Defender is available in X-Dynamic HSE, X, Sedona Edition and Octa variants. Prices start at Rs 1.04 crore (ex-showroom).
Old 20th August 2024, 14:40   #5
BHPian

Given that there is no decent competitor for Defender in India, JLR should consider Defender to be the next model to manufacture/assemble in India and level up their game!

As many of us know JLR has started this with range rover/sport: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...led-india.html (JLR's Range Rover to be assembled in India)
ramki.grandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks