Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2024, 14:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maruti begins export of made-in-India Fronx to Japan

Maruti Suzuki has commenced export of the made-in-India Fronx to Japan. The first consignment of over 1,600 vehicles has been dispatched from Gujarat’s Pipavav port.

Maruti begins export of made-in-India Fronx to Japan-image02.jpg

The Fronx is the second Maruti Suzuki model to be exported to Japan after the Baleno in 2016. It is also the first “SUV” from the brand to be exported to the ‘Land of the Rising Sun’, which will go on sale in the autumn of 2024.

Maruti begins export of made-in-India Fronx to Japan-image04.jpg

The Fronx is based on the Heartect platform. In India, the car has two engine options: a 1.2-litre petrol engine that makes 89 BHP and 113 Nm and a 1.0-litre turbo-petrol that puts out 99 BHP and 148 Nm. Transmission options include a 5-speed manual, a 5-speed AMT and a 6-speed automatic.

Maruti begins export of made-in-India Fronx to Japan-image03.jpg

Maruti Suzuki is the biggest passenger vehicle exporter in India. In FY2023-24, the carmaker shipped over 2.8 lakh units to over 100 countries. The company has a 42% share in the exports of passenger vehicles. In Q1 FY2024-25, Maruti exported a record 70,560 units.

Maruti begins export of made-in-India Fronx to Japan-image01.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th August 2024, 15:36   #2
BHPian

Re: Maruti begins export of made-in-India Fronx to Japan

How far we have come as a country! First it was the Honda Elevate which was being exported to Japan & now the Suzuki Fronx! Incredibly proud!
Desi Dybuk is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th August 2024, 15:53   #3
BHPian

I have seen similar pictures from other manufacturers at port as well, who do not "mummify" their cars like seen here, what's so unique here that it requires additional wrap?
Thilak29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2024, 16:00   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
what's so unique here that it requires additional wrap?
Must be the poor paint quality. My Brezza is so full of scratches wherever I look; Even the roadside foliage seems to scratch the car
thomahawk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2024, 16:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
I have seen similar pictures from other manufacturers at port as well, who do not "mummify" their cars like seen here, what's so unique here that it requires additional wrap?
I wonder if this kind of stuff makes it into their ESG reports or it's just the g/km and km/L. Not sure what the technical reason is, but it sure seems like an awful waste of plastic — I do hope it is recycled or can somehow be reused.

But I'm happy Indian-made cars are being received well overseas. Japan already seems to have fallen in love with the Fronx's design, and the Elevate is also doing well for itself. So are the India-made VWs in the Caribbean, and the Mahindras in Australia.
ron178 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2024, 16:50   #6
BHPian

This goes on to show the impetus and effects of the Make in India. Who would have thought that Japanese giants would be dependent on Indian manufacturing units for sales in their home markets as well.

This should fill our chests with pride to see that Suzuki, Honda and Toyota(including the sticker engineered models) are using the Indian manufacturing units for their supplies in Indian and foreign markets.
Kudos and way to go!
shubham7799 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th August 2024, 18:13   #7

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hope it doesn't end up like the export of Ford Ecosport to the US.
White bird is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2024, 18:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

Is this a way to move ever increasing unsold inventory? I can understand Honda doing it with the Elevate but is Nexa also struggling to push the Fronx? There's a 17% decline from last July.
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2024, 19:02   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Is this a way to move ever increasing unsold inventory? I can understand Honda doing it with the Elevate but is Nexa also struggling to push the Fronx? There's a 17% decline from last July.
This is not the Indian Fronx as it is the Fronx with 1.5L engine, AT and with AWD as option, with different specs.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th August 2024, 19:07   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Press Release

Maruti begins export of made-in-India Fronx to Japan-screenshot_20240813190637_drive.jpg
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2024, 19:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
I don't think one can simply siphon off domestic yard stock for exports; it's not as straightforward as transferring inventory between showrooms. My friend who co-owns a major Maruti dealership, has said there's significant inventory buildup and tension among dealers who are overwhelmed with stock, while Maruti continues to push additional cars to maintain volume. So, your inquiry makes sense.

Nonetheless, exports are indeed a viable solution to sustain production volumes and utilize capacity, offering a much better approach than bullying domestic dealers. Additionally, exporting vehicles benefits the economy and contributes positively to the exchequer.
shortbread is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 02:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
This is not the Indian Fronx as it is the Fronx with 1.5L engine, AT and with AWD as option, with different specs.
Ah. The unobtainium spec. What other changes do we expect in Japanese trim?

Most Viewed