Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2024, 19:01   #46
BHPian

Re: July 2024 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
The reason for Ford (and GM) leaving the country is their incompetence, not the Indian market. Ford is struggling all over the world not just India. They gave up on India. Their sales are declining in Europe and China as well drastically. Their worldwide sales were down 33% from 6.6 million in 2017 to 4.4 million in 2023. In just 6 years, they lost 33% sales. GM sales went down from 10 million in 2016 to 6 million in 2023. During the same period, the Indian passenger car market grew by 40%.

People love to blame it on the Indian market, consumers, and governments but their sales are down everywhere due to their incompetence. Ford stopped the development of sedans and later small cars. After the huge decline in sales, they now want to invest in small cars again. Meanwhile, Kia entered the Indian market very late but selling around 20K cars per month. Mahindra and Tata which used to struggle a lot have now tripled their sales between 2017 to 2024. The same taxes and incentives applies to all these companies in the country.
Would you please elaborate what exactly was wrong with Figo and Aspire? They were tremendously VFM with excellent diesel engines.
DonHyd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 00:59   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Magic View Post
Although the Creta tops the chart, it only has the Venue for company (at number 17) in the Top 20 list. This is not an ideal scenario for the number 2 manufacturer. With the Exter out of the Top 20 list and the Venue near the end of the list, Hyundai could find itself in a tricky situation if Creta sales fall tomorrow.

Although the Punch moved to the number 4 position, the difference between it's main rivals from Maruti is not much, and it still has a chance in the coming months to regain it's position.

Jimny sales soared within a month's time. Maybe due to water logging happening across many cities, people are preferring the Jimny over mid-size SUVs or premium hatchbacks?
Grand i10 and i20 used to be top selling cars for Hyundai in the past. They still sell a solid 5000 units every month. They overlap with Exter and Venue's market. While Venue is viewed as a mini-Creta, Exter hasn't sold big despite the car having solid reviews. Together, the numbers aren't poor, but aren't great either.

I feel with Creta's success, Hyundai is not so bothered at the lower end of the segment (discarded the renewed Santro so quickly and almost no focus on Grand i10 now). They must be giving bigger profit and with the aspirations kicking in, Hyundai will want to move into the premium segment.

At a group level, I wonder if they will be worried about Kia's stagnant numbers. Seltos used to be constantly in Top 5 is now knocked out of 20. It used to outsell Creta, now doesn't even sell half of its sibling.
karthis91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 09:19   #48
BHPian

I think some of the other members have already made great observations.

Cars are being purchased by people who already have cars, and since they in most likelihood will buy something bigger and better we see the numbers in the respective segments.

The buyers mostly belong to the below categories -

- Used a smaller vehicle e.g. santro, i10, alto, wagon R, swift earlier now upgrading to segment above having worked their income and assets over years.

- 2nd Generation buyers who belong to well off families where their parents built homes and cars, needing to upgrade moving to a segment higher up than their parents with disposable income and assets.

- Another group is one who already have a car and need to add one more bigger and better one, hence the premium segment numbers.

- Due to 10/15 year restrictions many who purchased from year 2008 to 2015 have cars that needs replacement and are upgrading to a higher up segment.

The entry segment is dead, not many are able to come out of the free ration queue and make the jump from 2 wheeler to a car. Imagine if 85 crore people taking free ration which is approx. 70% of eligible population, who don't have a PAN card or file returns, how can they buy say an alto or an kwid ?

And even if somehow they manage to buy a car, can they afford petrol, parking, huge tolls ? For a car you will also need a parking, which again needs a proper house/flat.
If you manage to park on roads but still need to pay for parking wherever you visit and also pay tolls.

All this just makes it unfeasible for the entry level buyers, and they rather live without a car than with it, even if they somehow manage to save a little to buy one there income is just not enough to meet the overheads.

Last edited by xway : 14th August 2024 at 09:21. Reason: spelling
xway is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 14:45   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthis91 View Post
Grand i10 and i20 used to be top selling cars for Hyundai in the past.
True! The Grand i10 and i20 used to be top selling cars for Hyundai some time ago, but with the sudden craze for SUVs, most hatchback sales have been hit badly. Besides Maruti, no one has been able to maintain their hatchback sales (Even the one time topper Alto is now at number 20, but at least it's still on the list).

If you take a look at the cars present in the Top 20 list, you will find mostly all types of SUVs, including cars with an SUV stance.

Unless there is a change in people's preferences, I don't see much happening in the hatchback segment. Even Tata has not given a proper facelift to it's hatchback, the Altroz, in a long time.
It's Magic is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2024, 18:26   #50
gus
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkolhe View Post
Yes. You are absolutely right about that.
But I did say car market not growing at the rate predicted in "ONE OF THE REASONS" for them leaving. The real reason is also their bad planning and not having a backup option after the JV with Mahindra didn't pan out.

But the factory not working at full capacity despite exporting more cars than they were selling in India was definitely a factor which can be attributed to car sales stagnating along with their incompetence in selling the cars.
Ford Ecosport still has a kind fan following. Owners are mostly in love with there ecosports. It was sad that Ford couldn't build up on such a stong fanbase.

Usually when owners are happy with the product and are looking to move up the ladder, they walk in the same brand showrooms first. In case of Ford the ladder ended at Ecosport which was very sad, inspite of the immense potential in the 4.3 mtr SUV class.
gus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2024, 08:15   #51

Maruti will report monthly sales as per Vahan Registration will forgo sales as per factory dispatch, read this in today's Economic Times. If market leader is going this way other will follow the same.
Old 15th August 2024, 08:28   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacManBet View Post
Maruti will report monthly sales as per Vahan Registration will forgo sales as per factory dispatch, read this in today's Economic Times. If market leader is going this way other will follow the same.
As a first step, starting August, Maruti has linked monthly sales incentive payout to its dealers to Vahan registration data. Gradually, all other types of incentives earned by dealers will also be linked to Vahan sales data.

Link:
Old 15th August 2024, 10:00   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
As a first step, starting August, Maruti has linked monthly sales incentive payout to its dealers to Vahan registration data. Gradually, all other types of incentives earned by dealers will also be linked to Vahan sales data.
So basically like MG or is it different?
I for all, am in support of showing retail sales! Will tell the ground reality a lot better.
Old 16th August 2024, 21:06   #54
BHPian

Do we know the sales numbers of BYD ? The Atto-3 dynamic variant has two months waiting period, so I am wondering what's the production capacity.
Old 16th August 2024, 21:18   #55
BHPian

The premiumization of the Indian market is pretty obvious. The rich are getting richer. And the poor seem to have stagnated. Not good for the country.

Some people may be overspending playing the fake status game. Many will learn the lesson the hard way of not saving enough.
JediKnight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2024, 23:13   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
2: Only cars that sell 500+ uni6ts (and thus, the relevant ones) have been included in the gainers & losers chart.
Does one know the sales breakup of Scorpio vs Scorpio-N? And within the N, what is the ratio of petrol vs diesel?
Old 25th August 2024, 12:42   #57
BHPian

Has Honda resumed the delivery of variants other than ZX of Elevate?

There were reports that Honda paused the domestic delivers of all variants of Elevate excluding ZX one, as it favoured the export to Japanese market. This was attributed to the stagnated sales of Elevate and Honda as a whole.

If that's the case, Hondas numbers will go up to some extent this month
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks