Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2024, 11:25   #1
Team-BHP Support

Now we can check the entire service history of ANY car online for just Rs. 200!

Is everybody aware of this service from cars24? Just put in a car's registration number (any brand/model), pay Rs. 230 and you get the entire service history.
https://www.cars24.com/car-service-history/

It doesn't ask for any proof of ownership as such. Is this considered a breach of privacy? Or is it the same in all developed countries? Before payment, it gives personally identifiable information too (in the form of owner name, but does not show address/phone number thankfully)

I'm attaching a few screenshots of service history report of my bro's Honda Accord:

Now we can check the entire service history of ANY car online for just Rs. 200!-screenshot_3.jpg

Now we can check the entire service history of ANY car online for just Rs. 200!-screenshot_4.jpg

Last edited by SmartCat : 6th August 2024 at 20:16.
SmartCat is online now   (31) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 11:46   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Car & Bike Discussions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Sample report attached (bro's Honda Accord):

Attachment 2636868
Is the report accurate? I had heard about it from a friend who’s scouting used cars for a purchase, and I thought it would be a generic one. Seems pretty detailed.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 11:49   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Is the report accurate? I had heard about it from a friend who’s scouting used cars for a purchase, and I thought it would be a generic one. Seems pretty detailed.
Has to be. These reports are taken directly from authorized service centers. If you still have doubts, just put in your vehicle number, pay Rs. 230, get the service history report and check.

When scouting used cars, this helps provided the car has been given to authorized service centers for repair/maintenance. If it has been repaired at neighborhood garages, it will not show up in these reports.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 14:00   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It doesn't ask for any proof of ownership as such. Is this considered a breach of privacy? Or is it the same in other countries too?
Not sure, but don't think so. If you ask me, this is a step in the right direction.

In the US, one can pay for a Carfax report (sample report) for any car by just putting in the vehicle number and paying a fee. In fact, it used to be the defacto step undertaken prior to any used car purchase; most dealers as well as individual sellers on Craiglist & sorts would put up the Carfax report online as part of the ad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat
Has to be. These reports are taken directly from authorized service centers. If you still have doubts, just put in your vehicle number, pay Rs. 230, get the service history report and check.
I had got the full history records from the previous owner; but curious to see what comes up for my car. Have paid for a report; should get it by EOD.

I think it is worth keeping a record of this for anyone who is planning to sell his/her car. Maybe something we could "recommend" to bhpians who put up their car ad for sale on the forum (or classifieds).

Last edited by SmartCat : 6th August 2024 at 17:09. Reason: Moving to public forum
ninjatalli is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 14:58   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Is the report accurate? .
I got a service history report from CarInfo. Login is via OTP, and cost me 299/-. Report was accurate and detailed - happened to get the same details through someone in MASS.
condor is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 11:14   #6
BHPian

Re: 2013 Honda CRV

Quote:
Before purchasing the car, my brother paid Rs. 230 to Cars24 and got the entire service history of the car.
https://www.cars24.com/car-service-history/
Was not aware of this service, thanks for sharing!

But isn't this a blatant breach of privacy for the existing owner? Can I enter your car's registration number, and get all the service records along with your address and contact details?

Car dealers are not authorized to share service records with random third parties like Cars24. I wonder how they've turned this into an actual payable service, and that too for just Rs 230!
d3mon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 11:29   #7
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2013 Honda CRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
But isn't this a blatant breach of privacy for the existing owner? Can I enter your car's registration number, and get all the service records along with your address and contact details?
Yeah, very surprising. It shows the owner's name but not address or phone number. And yes, as long as you know the car's registration number, you can get its entire service history online. It takes a few hours for Cars24 to get the records.

These records are taken directly from authorized service centers. So if a car has been serviced or repaired at a neighborhood garage, it will not show up in the records. However, the cars24 records show "last visited" date/odo reading - so if there is a large gap, it might mean the seller has been getting servicing/repair work done outside.

Last edited by SmartCat : 6th August 2024 at 20:47.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 17:18   #8
Team-BHP Support

Re: Now we can check the entire service history of ANY car online for just Rs. 200!

Mod note: moving posts to a separate thread
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 17:37   #9

Re: Now we can check the entire service history of ANY car online for just Rs. 200!

If this kind of report is available for all the brands of cars, it would be a great confidence booster in purchasing a used car. Even now, it is very hard to get service history from service centres like Honda and Toyota. With so much digitilisation in car Industry, this can be easily done.
dvskhh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 17:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It doesn't ask for any proof of ownership as such. Is this considered a breach of privacy?
If there is no Private or Personal Identifiable information shared I do not see an issue with this.
While I personally do not, for those who buy used cars this seems like a step in the right direction.
Maky is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 18:06   #11
BHPian

Glad that something like this is in the Indian Market! They can even increase the price for report generation if needed as it leads to transparency and buyers confidence when buying a used car. I would like this to be integrated with Insurance Database to find out if any claim has been both honoured or dishonoured in the vehicle, which will make things much more easier!
Y@SH is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 18:13   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a huge violation of privacy. With whose permission is my car’s information being shared with third parties? It is one thing to get service history from the showroom/service center. Entirely different if data is sold in bulk to outsiders. The service people have all our details including address, phone numbers, credit card details as well as company details. If service history is shared, then everything else is shared as well. It is easy and free money for the dealers, after all.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 18:22   #13
BHPian

Does cars24 pull this data and keep it with them with regular updates? Dont like that anyone can store such data.
Looks like good money for service centres and the broker here using our car data.
Old 6th August 2024, 18:23   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
If service history is shared, then everything else is shared as well. It is easy and free money for the dealers, after all.
Don't you think this data is coming from car manufacturer directly, rather than individual dealers? Because it will be a logistical nightmare to collect data from 5,000 or so car dealers all over India, and update it frequently. Note that this report is generated within 12 hours after payment.

Edit: Did some Googling:

Automotive Data Sharing
https://assets.kpmg.com/content/dam/...t_SVV_KPMG.pdf

Quote:
The usage of data in the global automotive industry has been increasingly important the last couple of years. Even though Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) have been collecting data from their connected vehicles for several years, they have just recently started to investigate opportunities for sharing the data. The OEMs have gradually been accelerating sharing of vehicle generated data with third parties and penning deals with both data aggregators and data marketplaces. These deals are creating new revenue streams for the OEMs
Data collected using connected car tech is even being shared with insurance cos:
https://www.medianama.com/2024/03/22...ivacy-concerns

Last edited by SmartCat : 6th August 2024 at 18:32.
SmartCat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 18:33   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Don't you think this data is coming from car manufacturer directly, rather than individual dealers? Because it will be a logistical nightmare to collect data from 5,000 or so car dealers all over India, and update it frequently. Note that this report is generated within 12 hours after payment.
I’d be inclined to think that car manufacturers have better standards than this, these are all multi national companies after all with corporate policies and compliances. Why should they risk this for pennies? It is more fathomable to my mind that this kind of sharing of data is happening through the dealers’ end. Facilitated by FADA, perhaps?
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed