Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2024, 23:33   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Now we can check the entire service history of ANY car online for just Rs. 200!

This is very similar as to what kind of data you can get on any car in the USA and Europe.

Nothing to do with privacy. No details of the owners are shared. Only details pertaining to the car. From mileage, service, number of owners, accidents, and so on. All relevant information for whoever would be buying this car.

In the EU the most basic information is available free online. On all my cars anybody can see, based on the registration, things like how many owners, when was the car last registered. Whether the mileage appears to be genuine, date of manufacturing and date of first registration in the Netherlands and so on.

For more details you need to pay a little extra.

When I bought my Jaguar in the USA I got myself a Carfax report. Very similar in the type of information it shows.

In the Netherlands all garages are required to upload data about any car they work on, such as mileage, accident damage and so on.

All data is kept by the RDW (the motoring department of the respective ministry)

When you are looking to buy a second hand car, all you do is plug in the registration number in their website.

Have a look:

https://ovi.rdw.nl/

Use my Mini registration 77-LKV-6

Just a few examples, all in Dutch, but you get the idea

Now we can check the entire service history of ANY car online for just Rs. 200!-img_0536.png

Now we can check the entire service history of ANY car online for just Rs. 200!-img_0535.png

Now we can check the entire service history of ANY car online for just Rs. 200!-img_0534.png

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 7th August 2024, 08:16   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Car & Bike Discussions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Notice how it says OEMs (original equipment manufacturer) and not car companies or car manufacturers. So, it is clear that the data is coming from service centers. Terrible state of affairs. Brands really seem to have next to no control over their dealer and service partners.
So you mean to say that the service provider has a tie-up with ALL the dealerships of the different companies they provide info for ?
Old 7th August 2024, 09:36   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
So you mean to say that the service provider has a tie-up with ALL the dealerships of the different companies they provide info for ?
Again, I’d like to think organisations like FADA will have a role to play here.
Old 7th August 2024, 09:38   #34
BHPian

Re: Now we can check the entire service history of ANY car online for just Rs. 200!

It wasn’t ₹230 for me. They were asking for ₹1179 including tax.
V0rtex is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2024, 09:49   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V0rtex View Post
It wasn’t ₹230 for me. They were asking for ₹1179 including tax.
On a lighter note, is your vehicle a Maybach?
handsofsteel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2024, 09:58   #36
BHPian

This is not right.

Even before I pay, its displaying the Owner's Name, Car Model and also the option to provide the service history updates via Whatsapp.

This can't be legal. Cars24 should not be displaying name and providing updates on my service history without my consent

I am can safely assume that there is a legal grey area here which Cars24 is trying to exploit.

But how can they display names?

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Now we can check the entire service history of ANY car online for just Rs. 200!-cars24.jpg  

Old 7th August 2024, 10:30   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
This is a huge violation of privacy. With whose permission is my car’s information being shared with third parties? It
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
This can't be legal. Cars24 should not be displaying name and providing updates on my service history without my consent
Owners can't hide behind the privacy concept to deny service history especially when selling a car. Of course, phone number shouldn't be displayed. But a car's service history is not a personal data for it to be hidden and given out only with permission of owner, especially when the owner had sold the car to a dealer and dealer is reselling it .

The only reason someone wants to hide service history is to hide accidents.

I bought a car last year from a Honda dealer who when asked about service history said the car was serviced there only recently and accident repair had been done in Honda service as well. When asked to show service history, he was evasive and I didn't put too much pressure and trusted him considering it was a honda car sold by a honda dealer. Later after I bought the car , found the accident repair to the tune of 2.9 L and service was not done at regular intervals either. Frankly , if I had seen the report I would have backed out immediately. Reports like these are godsend.

Last edited by Ragavsr : 7th August 2024 at 10:52.
Old 7th August 2024, 10:57   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post

But how can they display names?
I think that's just an pending iteration/update to this service when they will start masking the owner names. Even Parivahan (Know your vehicle details) in it's earlier avatar years ago when this service was launched, used to display the full name of the owner. Only a year or two later they started masking the name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
This is very similar as to what kind of data you can get on any car in the USA and Europe.

Nothing to do with privacy. No details of the owners are shared. Only details pertaining to the car. From mileage, service, number of owners, accidents, and so on. All relevant information for whoever would be buying this car.
+ 1

It's a very useful service and nothing illegal about it. In the US, it's a defacto step for every sale; and a Carfax report is always provided by the seller or the buyer procures one before the sale. Here's a Carfax report of my Altima which I provided to buyers before I sold it to the next person. The selling/buying discussions & financial negotiations are extremely sorted and easy to manage basis this report in hand.

Now we can check the entire service history of ANY car online for just Rs. 200!-carfax1.jpg

Now we can check the entire service history of ANY car online for just Rs. 200!-carfax1.1.jpg

Now we can check the entire service history of ANY car online for just Rs. 200!-carfax2.jpg

Hopefully this catches up in the India used car market soon. At least as Bhpians, when we are buying or selling a used car, we should definitely leverage this service.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 7th August 2024 at 11:12.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2024, 11:10   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Member Funny says there is no service history available for Ford vehicles. But the service centers are still open for business. So this is "adding two plus two" kind of evidence that OEMs are sharing the service history, don't you think? There is no Ford vehicles service history data because Ford India has shut shop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Link to carinfo website for accessing service history:
https://www.carinfo.app/service-history

About how service history data is made available:

Attachment 2637785

Other websites offering vehicle service history online:
https://www.cardekho.com/services/de...istory-101.htm
https://droom.in/history
Slightly OT, but relevant and useful:
Ford India never maintained a central registry of the cars being serviced at authorised service centres. Only the dealers that serviced the cars have with them the records.

Last edited by Harjot37 : 7th August 2024 at 11:14.
Harjot37 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2024, 11:13   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Much data is being leaked/ sold to these platforms- both from Vahan portal and ASC's end. Apart from this latest Cars24 debate, there is another NGF 132 (on phone browser or app) where you can get details of owner, complete car details including insurance, tax etc and even send messages to the car owners through the platform itself. Though it doesn't display the phone number directly but they have it in their backend and use it to send SMSes and whatsapp messages- All this only with the registration number.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2024, 11:23   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Much data is being leaked/ sold to these platforms- both from Vahan portal and ASC's end. Apart from this latest Cars24 debate, there is another NGF 132 (on phone browser or app) where you can get details of owner, complete car details including insurance, tax etc and even send messages to the car owners through the platform itself. Though it doesn't display the phone number directly but they have it in their backend and use it to send SMSes and whatsapp messages- All this only with the registration number.
Exactly my point. It’s a sad state of affairs that dealers and ASCs are selling all sorts of customer data with no restrictions. This should be condemned, not validated or justified.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2024, 11:52   #42
BHPian

This was common in US even by 2000s. I got info of the car i want to be using carfax. Pay $50 or something more and get all info about the car.
Old 7th August 2024, 11:58   #43
BHPian

Yup, this looks to be modelling along the carfax report - gets data from insurance for claims and service history from authorized service centers. Again, these are not foolproof or extensive. I had my corolla accident fixed through a body shop in bay area without insurance and that was not recorded in the carfax report.

Not sure if they have integrated with all the dealerships pan India. Also, what about third party service centers like Acko etc.. Those would not get recorded I assume.

For 230 bucks this is definitely worthy data (esp. if you are looking to buy a used car). How come there are no competitors yet in this space if so, first to market ?
Old 7th August 2024, 12:00   #44
BHPian

This is data sourced from ASCs. You do not need to connect with all the ASCs, only one from each manufacturer.

They do have some sort of centralized system where service history is visible to the technician when creating the job card, so they can see what work has been done on the car in the past and diagnose better.

Now that data is being monetized by agencies like cars24 and I would welcome this as a step towards greater transparency in car sales. I just wish that FNGs could also be included in adding this information for cars they work on.

hopefully this should transform into something like carfax reports for cars in India, which would go a long way in reducing the scams in used cars sales currently.
Ravi Parwan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2024, 12:11   #45
BHPian

Such reports were available in the US even 30 years back (Kelly's Blue Book etc), probably Data Protection / Data Privacy were not so important then, data security concerns raised when people started to misuse it.

It's good and bad, excellent for people who are hunting pre-owned cars and bad concerning the data security. Big corporate like Cars24 must have done their homework before launching such an initiative, must have covered the legal angle, only time will tell.

btw, I submitted a request to know my own Duster's history and paid Rs.349 incl. taxes at Bengaluru, I will get the report in 15 hours on WhatsApp / SMS.

I am planning to sell my Duster, so curious to know what others will see in these reports.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks