Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2024, 10:18   #16
BHPian

Re: 2024 Octavia with 1.5 TSI headed to India

While I agree with everybody complaining about the new Octavia, because it is truly ridiculous. I don't know what Skoda is doing now, even the Superb pricing was ridiculous. It's almost as if they are in a bubble of their own.

However, I am just saddened by this. I have always wanted to buy an Octavia since I was a kid. As a 25 year old, who's just now started seeing money come in, the realisation that I'll never buy a new octavia is just sad. The new emission norms will slowly kill all great engines. While I can still pick up a used Octavia with a 1.8 or 2.0, I will never experience taking delivery of a brand new car that I think is perfect in every way and take it for a long drive to experience that engine.

With that being said, I would like to offer my condolences to the Octavia lineup. It was a great run while it lasted.

Last edited by graaja : 3rd August 2024 at 10:27. Reason: Minor typo
VtechSupreme is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2024, 10:44   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asoon View Post
X1 with 134 HP, Octavia with 1.5 engine, CRV with 118 hp, Xtrail with average offering, it feels like they are serving the Indian auto market to Hyundai, Mahindra & Tata [HMT].
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtune26 View Post
VW and Skoda top management has gone nuts. Launching octavia with 1.5 TSI and no diesel will tarnish the brand value of octavia ...... drive aspect and it will also lose its value proposition over other luxury german manufacturers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
I don't understand the game plan here, what's the point of a large car with a small engine at a premium?
There are several issues here in India. Indians don't want power but Indians want a Luxury car with 'Kitna deta hai' attitude. They don't mind splashing 5 millions but want a fuel efficient car as resale value is paramount. That is why high performance cars never took off, look at Skoda's VRS, BMW's M series, or VW Polo TSi. They want a Luxury quotient and that's why Diesel still sells in premium segment but not in the small car segment. Because people are well affordable for the price but need FE in the former Segment.

That is why people are buying Luxury cars with small fuel efficient petrols and that satisfies their want as they are not going to burn the roads but want a style statement.
DRPSREDDY is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2024, 10:52   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRPSREDDY View Post
There are several issues here in India. Indians don't want power but Indians want a Luxury car with 'Kitna deta hai' attitude. They don't mind splashing 5 millions but want a fuel efficient car as resale value is paramount. That is why high performance cars never took off, look at Skoda's VRS, BMW's M series, or VW Polo TSi. They want a Luxury quotient and that's why Diesel still sells in premium segment but not in the small car segment. Because people are well affordable for the price but need FE in the former Segment.

That is why people are buying Luxury cars with small fuel efficient petrols and that satisfies their want as they are not going to burn the roads but want a style statement.
Agreed, this hold true for the premium cars & premium badges,
But no one buys Octavia for Skoda badge (to show off that I own a skoda), Octavia has a following because of the way it drive, in-fact the old octavia / laura is still in demand in the used car market despite randomly high maintenance which is gone with this launch with 1.5 motor.

Last edited by Asoon : 3rd August 2024 at 10:53.
Asoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2024, 11:02   #19
BHPian

I have a different perspective. There would be a lot of people who would be perfectly okay with the 1.5 TSI in the Octavia since the driving dynamics and suspension are superior to the Slavia, the rear seat space would be wider than Slavia to fit 3 adults, slightly better legroom, DQ300 series instead of DQ200 series and far better build quality and interior cabin quality. All these at an ex-showroom on 25-27 lakhs???

Wishful thinking I know but what stops us from dreaming. The mod potential of the engine is also there and a simple mod could take the power upto 180 BHP and torque upto 300nm. This is will then be a lot of bang for the buck post the bump up. 150bhp from the 1.5 TSI in the Octavia would still be plenty of power for our roads and a wonderful driving expereince since it is going to be the Octavia.
whencut86 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2024, 11:57   #20

That's right but Skoda badge is not something with the best brand value for being a premium or a luxury car and. Secondly even if people buy octavia for being fuel efficient and if Skoda knows this they could've given the diesel engine with it which would be more fun to drive with lots of torque to play with and at the same time being fuel efficient than petrol counterparts.

I don't Skoda is planning to bump the power of Octavia or give a diffrent tune they will give us octavia with similar tune to that of Slavia with same DQ200 gearbox rather than DQ 300 series.
Old 3rd August 2024, 12:35   #21
BHPian

Octavia with 1.5L engine at 30-35 lakhs price range is a recipe for disaster. It doesn't have cooled seats, sunroof, ADAS, 360 degree camera which will be part of Slavia facelift due next year.
So apart from the build quality, brand value, I don't see many differentiations that would justify people spending nearly double the price for Octavia.
If the leadership doesn't have the sense to understand what buyers want & what would work in the market, perhaps the brand deserves to fail.
CafeRacer16 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2024, 12:57   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asoon View Post
Agreed, this hold true for the premium cars & premium badges,
But no one buys Octavia for Skoda badge (to show off that I own a skoda), Octavia has a following because of the way it drive, in-fact the old octavia / laura is still in demand in the used car market despite randomly high maintenance which is gone with this launch with 1.5 motor.
Most of the Sedans are chauffeur driven and it doesn't mind to be just about adequately powered and doesn't need to be a racer. Skoda is considered a Luxury brand in India and has a brand value, albeit a little lower than Volvo. It has it's charm for Indian customers. There are quite a few people like me who drive on their own but they too typically drive from point A to B and will not mind a 1.5TSi as long as they are happy with maintainence issues.
Old 3rd August 2024, 13:50   #23
BHPian

A 1.5L TSi engine in an Octavia ??? Seriously Skoda ??

Thank you very much, i am happy with my 2.0L TSi and this new Octavia shall not be any upgrade to the mk4 2.0 TSi sold in India.
Attached Thumbnails
2024 Octavia with 1.5 TSI headed to India-20240527_132040.jpg  

LONG_TOURER is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2024, 19:11   #24
BHPian

The pollution control troubles with diesel engines make many buyers to downsize their car due to the economical reasons. Not every owner of big cars is an enthusiast to think that driving pleasure is the most important factor when you own it. Earlier, diesel cars used to be economical and were fun to drive. But post BS6, there are very few diesel cars in the market and the ownership is not completely trouble free. This is a big purchase conundrum in the present market.

I guess manufactures are trying to solve it by introducing smaller turbo petrol engines cars like Skoda Octavia and Nissan X-Trial. There is nothing wrong in it. The TEAM-BHP review states:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
All in all, the performance of this powertrain is good. The technology does translate from theory to practicality quite nicely and delivers. However, in terms of outright performance, it is nowhere close to the Skoda Kodiaq 2.0L turbo-petrol DSG. It is not slow though and will do the 0-100 km/h sprint in 9.6 seconds, which is fast enough for most drivers. Where this powertrain excels is providing a smooth and linear power delivery that is very much usable in daily driving conditions as well as on the occasional highway trips.
Raising eyebrows over a Skoda Ocatavia with 1.5 TSI may not be correct because the number of true enthusiasts who would not think about ownership cost in this segment is very less. In that case, if Skoda launches the same Octovia with 2.0 TSI, very soon it will be discontinued due to poor sales. Consider the cases of many past car launches viz., Honda Civic etc. So, I feel, this 1.5 TSI Skoda should be welcomed as there is already a dearth of models in this segment. This is my two cents.
On4Wheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2024, 19:32   #25
BHPian

TBH I would like to get an Octavia with 1.5 TSI if they can price it for 25L ex and a 2L TSI at 30L ex. I own a Virtus GT and love the new interiors of the Octavia, sure the performance would be same but that is not a deal braker, the 1.5 TSI is a superb engine and I would upgrade just for the way the car looks and feels from inside. Price it for 25L ex and I would happily exchange my GT for the Octavia.
tsi_niks1989 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2024, 19:53   #26
BHPian

While I’m glad that the Octavia nameplate is returning to India, I hope they also bring in the vRS along with the 1.5. The Octavia brand built Škoda’s reputation in India and a halo CBU variant will help.

I have a 2022 Octavia 2.0 TSI and the engine/gearbox combination is a big part of the car’s value proposition. Smooth, punchy, quick shifting; the only downside is fuel economy when you push hard. Sad if they discontinue it.
Carmageddon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2024, 20:06   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharmanova View Post
Price will be only ₹45L ex-showroom .

Seriously, why would anyone buy a 1.5L Octavia when they can get a 2.0L A4 at similar pricing!!
Because they will ramp up the pricing of the A4 to 60l soon
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2024, 21:26   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsi_niks1989 View Post
I would upgrade just for the way the car looks and feels from inside. .
You would also get more space, better build quality/NVH, rear independent suspension, large boot opening (including glass area) of a notch-back. If the the difference between Slavia and Octavia is 3-4 lacs, it would find buyers.
Guna is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2024, 21:53   #29
BANNED

I think they were able to crack the market with Slavia but the styling in Skoda lacks if compared to the older ones. I still think if they release 2024 Fabia and put a 1.5 TSI and a detuned engine in it it, will sell like Hotcakes and make people forget the Hyundai i20 forever.
Old 3rd August 2024, 21:57   #30
BHPian

I've owned the 2 litre diesel turbo octavia for 8 years, and it was a dream to drive both in regular and in sport mode. I feel the key problem that Skoda needs to address is that on the one hand they are downsizing the power while on the other hand they will almost certainly be increasing the price - and I feel that that wont fly with us Indians... it feels like being cheated. Hence, a smaller engine should come with a. A max 25 lakh ex showroom price and b. Lower maintenance costs guarantees. If not, the package will prevent many previous Skoda owners from buying the Octy. Basic psychology. Hope Skoda is reading this on the point thread!
pheru8b is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks