Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2024, 11:31   #16
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tribute to the Volkswagen Polo in India | An indelible feeling

I guess its time to show off!

My 2015 GT TSI, still runs great.
Tribute to the Volkswagen Polo in India | An indelible feeling-20221112_172422.jpg

I will have to eventually let it go! , and for the ironic reason that I care too much to let it become the beater car for family, so this will lose to a smaller Maruti in the survival race for my garage.

Last edited by SLK : 29th July 2024 at 11:34.
SLK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th July 2024, 11:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

I have a nine year old example and I can confidently say it's an incredible car.

If VW launch the new one and don't pull any 2.0 cost-cutting nonsense, I have a cheque waiting.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th July 2024, 12:37   #18

A beautiful write up indeed! Polo helped define the budget performance category in India in a significant way. I like to believe the fruits of the risk VW took is what paved the way for the hatches that are still in the market with beautiful handling characteristics and 100+ bhp powertrains.

I consider myself lucky to own what is in my opinion the best version of the polo in India other than the GTI, the 1.0TSI mated to a 6 speed manual. Every drive in that car puts a smile on my face and half a lakh km later, I am still looking for any excuse to go jetting around town in it.

Really hope polo makes a comeback in India.

Just a clarification, the GTI was limited to 99 units a year right? From the number of reviews, cars on sale and the number of cars I have seen on the road, they seem to be more than 99.
Apolo4409 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2024, 13:05   #19
BHPian

I still Remember how I had to make frantic phone calls to all the VW dealers in my city to get my hands on one of these when I heard the plug was being pulled. This was a purely heart over head decision which set me back by a few lakhs but I did not mind it then nor do I mind it now. Had to wait for couple of months to get my hands on a flash red polo and yes this is an emotion rather than a car. car fanatics in my friend circle love this machine and I have been offered more money than what I had paid for by a gentleman for this car but this is a lifelong car for me and hopefully stay in the family for a few geneartions

Tribute to the Volkswagen Polo in India | An indelible feeling-pxl_20220130_225700383.mp.jpg

My steed which has travelled 76k in nearly 3 years with me.
Sierra__foxtrot is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th July 2024, 13:07   #20
BHPian

Of all the various body types and form factors that are selling the most in India today, after the UVs, it is the 4-meter (not the ones like the Swift which are a good 150 mm shorter still at around 3800-3850mm) hatch that is selling very well. Just slap a boot onto it and make it a mid-sized sedan, and you have one of the worst-performing form factors with negative volume growth rates.

I wonder whether it would've made so much more sense if VW and Skoda launched the Polo and the Fabia rather than the Cirtus and the Slavia!

Last edited by niranjanprabhu : 29th July 2024 at 13:08.
Old 29th July 2024, 13:15   #21
BHPian

I can't even imagine the hard work to write such a long post with evey single detail, really appreciate your efforts and this post saying the love and respect you have for the Polo.
I remember when I used to come home after school (2013 -2015 ), I read The Rajasthan Patrika newspaper every day, where I used to see every car advertisements very closely, I used to criticize the VW that what they were doing, new editions on evey upcoming day with new alloy designs and some graphics with the same body style.
But later after some years when I gained some more knowledge about cars I found that how well engineered the VW cars were? The performance, handling, sharp steering wheel, solid build and what not? Reliability factor played the major role for the low sales!
Vikash Kumawat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2024, 14:03   #22
BHPian

I had to let go of my 2014 Polo Highline 1.5 TDI this year.

It was a very sad day for me. The car was my companion through and through, be it business or personal. What a car! It pulled like a beast, and the last couple of years it was giving me unbelievable economy (above 25kmpl). The car shone bright in cities, and slaughtered the highways during interstate travels. I remember

I own cars that are segments above the Polo, but honestly, the Polo is my favourtie of the lot. I just can't get enough of it, even after owning it for 10 years. Tbh, if I didn't have a family, the Polo would be the only car I need.
nutcracker is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th July 2024, 14:20   #23
Senior - BHPian

I dont think that there can be a better tribute to the Polo than this video.

A Drag race in 2023, when the Polo could still smoke the "N-Line"

VW Owners would always laugh at the N-Line badge, for me its like the ABS Badge on the Swift 2005 VXI!!

Enjoy the drag race....

2000rpm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2024, 14:49   #24
BHPian

I think I said this before but I must say it in this thread again that I still miss my red Polo. Bought in early 2011, 1.2 Mpi was not the most powerful car to drive but the overall package, the gokart like driving pleasure, the tank like build quality, the chiller AC (unlike current VW cars), the memories will always remain with me. Yes with Honda City I gained engine power, space etc. but the sheer emotional connect was better with Polo. I love my current cars but I loved Polo a lot. If I had the garage space and budget, I probably would've kept it. It is like one sweetheart who will never come back to your life. Sad that they don't make cars like that anymore.
Carpainter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2024, 15:10   #25

What a well written detailed piece! I was able to get one of the last Polos sold here (Legend edition). It may not have the bells and whistles of newer flashy models, but what it has is more than sufficient and in some areas way better than cars in the next price bracket. I really wish VW brings back the Polo in some form in the future. I do think there is a market for a hot hatch in India and there isn't a better car than Polo to fill that gap. Leaving with a picture of my "Legend" from a drive couple weeks back.
Attached Thumbnails
Tribute to the Volkswagen Polo in India | An indelible feeling-pololjpg.jpeg  

Legender is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2024, 15:30   #26
BHPian

I was very fortunate to own the original GT TDi 1.6L diesel. I had booked the GT TSi during the time and the SA informed me about the GT diesel launch. I immediately shifted by booking amount towards the diesel and got the car in 2 weeks. I still regret to date selling that car. The only grouse it had was the stiff clutch. I drove the car 65k in 5 years and thoroughly enjoyed every km driven. It had the addictive and insane pick up and within a blink it would accelerate to 100 KM/hr. All this and still return an economy of 15+ kmpl was just mind boggling. When I was changing that vehicle to get an automatic, I was so close to getting the GTI during the stock clearance, however spouse did not approve of it. Another decision I regret to date!
BHPjunkie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2024, 15:48   #27
BHPian

My dad bought home brand new Blue 2012 1.2 TDI Highline. SUCH a great car. Yeah, one had to row through the gears to get her into the 3 digits, but the gearbox made the experience very much worth it. My muscle memory is still calibrated for those short snickety throws the gearbox had although we've had new cars come. Mileage was +23 KMPL when cruising at 90-95, back in the day, this was insane to say the least! Best part is, our Polo is still a part our troop

Glad I got to rant a little regarding the Polo. Nowadays, a premium hatch doesn't truly exist in the market - one that won't break the bank, I mean.
s2K_scorpioN is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2024, 16:14   #28
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Interesting thread . I was looking for a new car in ~2010 and Polo was on my list. The showroom was right behind my house. I went to see the three-cylinder petrol and was amazed by its technical quality (as you have mentioned).

Ended up buying a Ford Figo because it was a bit cheaper with extra features. The GT TSI is, in my opinion, one of the best hatchbacks India has seen in decades..
RGK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2024, 16:17   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

We have owned to VE Polo’s. One in the UK and one in the Netherlands. First and second series.

Nice and robust cars. My wife who owned them both always enjoyed them. Although the earlier ones had terrible condensation problems. It was impossible not to fog up. Something to do with poor ventilation or so. Of course no AC in those days either.

I can’t remember ever having to fix anything on either of them, other than looking after some rust. To be fair, in those days a lot of car fogged up and rusted.

Over the years we have often reconsidered buying another Polo, but my wife always preferred the Ford Fiesta after she got her Fiesta.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2024, 16:23   #30

Excellent thread. Being a proud owner of 2018 Polo 1.5 TDI Highline plus, I only wonder what am i gonna replace it with when the stringent anti diesel car norms come into place. Can never imagine a car that drives this good anywhere anytime no matter what the conditions are.
flyingraghu is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks