Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2024, 18:49   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda developing global platform for future models in India

All-new PF2 platform being developed for multiple power trains Will underpin next-gen City, new SUVs and smaller EVs for the Indian and global markets.

Honda to follow the 'Toyota Way' towards a multi-powertrain strategy.

- Up to 2027, only Amaze will be the ONLY new model for Honda India.

Quote:
Honda to launch new flagship SUV in 2027
Hybrid powertrain could be localised to meet future export demand
Honda betting on ICE, hybrid and EV powertrain for India
Name:  20240727025241_Honda w exclusive tag.png
Views: 68
Size:  447.2 KB

Honda developing global platform for future models in India-screenshot-20240727-190522.png

Honda is developing a global platform for its small and medium car portfolio and India is likely to be the global production base for the domestic market and the rest of the world. This all-new modular platform (code: PF2) will underpin a range of future products that includes sedans, SUVs, EVs and hybrids. Sources say that the PF2 is likely to support both ICE and EV powertrains as Honda is not yet convinced of the feasibility of developing a dedicated EV platform or ‘skateboard’ in the backdrop of waning demand for EVs.

With the PF2 Honda hopes to get its mojo back, with its current portfolio have been in decline in sales.

Quote:
In India, Honda took the first-mover advantage in the hybrid race but it was a half-hearted attempt. However, after looking at market trends, the Japanese automaker has had a rethink and is likely to invest in localisation of its hybrid powertrain to be more competitive in the hybrid race and has packaged the PF2 platform from the outset to be hybrid ready. Also, the growing demand for hybrids in key international markets hasn’t gone unnoticed by Honda and low-cost hybrids from India would have great export potential.
All-new Honda 7-seven seat SUV in 2027
The first model to be launched on the PF2 platform is likely to be an all-new three row SUV that is positioned above the Elevate. The design and development of this seven-seat SUV is being led by Honda’s Japan and Thailand R&D centres but with a lot of inputs from India, which is likely to be this SUV’s main market. Power options are not clear but we expect Honda to offer the seven-seat SUV with the same 1.5 litre naturally aspirated engine that powers the Elevate as well as a strong hybrid option. According to a schedule given to suppliers, the start of production for the seven-seat SUV is October 2027.

All-new City coming 2028
The second model on the PF2 platform will be the next-generation Honda City which is due for a model change in 2028. The next-gen or sixth generation City is likely to come with a naturally aspirated petrol and hybrid option from launch. Sources say the City will get fresh styling and a new design language that will make it look radically different from the current model. Start of production of the new City is expected to be May 2028.

Compact SUV in early 2029
Industry sources have also confirmed that Honda is planning a compact SUV on the PF2 platform which could hit showrooms in the first half of 2029. Details are still sketchy as the project is not yet on the drawing board but it’s likely to be a sub-4 metre SUV.

Honda’s second EV in 2029
Honda is planning a second EV in 2029 after the Elevate-based SUV which is slated for a 2026 launch. There are no details as yet of this EV but it’s likely to be an SUV that sits under the Elevate.

Link:

Last edited by volkman10 : 27th July 2024 at 19:07.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th July 2024, 23:12   #2
BHPian

re: Honda developing global platform for future models in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Up to 2027, only Amaze will be the ONLY new model for Honda India.
Japanese carmaker tries not to make awful decisions in India challenge (impossible).

Jokes aside, as exciting as India being the production hub for a new global platform sounds, the fact that Honda has decided to starve India of new launches barring the Amaze until 2027 seems like a very weird decision IMO.

The fact that there aren’t even plans to bring in some stopgap products (a la X-Trail) is pretty concerning, although I will admit that incompetent stopgaps (again, a la X-Trail / Superb relaunch) are a waste of resources, hence I’m glad that Honda at least hasn’t decided to pair some good global product with a harebrained product strategy that will mark it D.O.A.

I’d love to be proven a fool in the end, but I’m really not sure about this strategy from Honda.
Arsenic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th July 2024, 23:56   #3
BHPian

Honda don't bother; you can pack bags and go back. Even after two decades Honda could not understand the Indian Market / Consumers
Old 28th July 2024, 05:34   #4
BHPian

Honda is taking its own sweet time to bring in new launches and it will hurt it badly when all other competitors have newer updated product lines, whereas Honda is stuck with the same cars without any significant updates for 5 years or more.
Old 28th July 2024, 10:29   #5
BHPian

Re: Honda developing global platform for future models in India

Honda dealers should start looking at other options for making money. Only then will they be able to run these Honda Dealerships at a loss until the new products start coming in. If this is what Honda is planning to do, then there won't be many dealerships left by 2027. Very bad days for Honda in India. It was once considered as the go-to manufacturer after Maruti. Look where they are now. Lack of planning and step motherly attitude has put them where they are right now, not to mention the serious advances that home grown manufacturers have made recently. Honda is becoming an insignificant player in India, so much so that they decide to shut shop and no one would have a problem with it !!

Last edited by DieselAddikt : 28th July 2024 at 10:30.
DieselAddikt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2024, 17:37   #6
BHPian

I agree this sounds disheartening, but I am willing to wait and see the final product. Maybe, just maybe, it will be a good one? Three years is enough time for them to launch a good product. And since it is positioned above the Elevate, it will hopefully address some of the issues with that model. The new architecture should also be good; if I remember correctly, the next-gen VW/Skoda models will also be using a new platform by that time.

I hope that Honda does not mess it up this time around.
Old 28th July 2024, 17:53   #7
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I swear, the Japs have no clue how to sell cars in India.

Nissan - They have been milking the Magnite for such a long time. And then out of the blue, the launch the X - Trail. Never mind it's a 3 year old model, and we are not even getting the top trim, IT DOES NOT HAVE A SPARE WHEEL! I can only imagine what is going on through their heads right now.

Toyota - Without the Innova and the Fortuner, they would be a whole lot nearer towards the bottom of the charts. The Maruti models, in my opinion, are a short - term strategy. So many true Toyota models had potential here, like the newer Prado or the Hilux. But due to stratospheric pricing, they bombed.

Izuzu - Another head - banging case of incompetence for another time.

Mods, please move this to another thread if necessary.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks