Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2024, 17:29   #1291
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post

Also the 'Intelli turn assist' feature looks interesting that can cut down the turning radius especially during offroading.
To me it is a totally useless feature since the length of the vehicle is not prohibitive. It seems to be included by marketing team to show off some gimmicky features to entice customers. If they want to make it more offroad friendly, probably including diff locks on both axles would be much more useful. The issue is this will be a new tech and if something goes wrong, Mahindra technicians will be scratching their heads to fix it
Old 9th August 2024, 18:36   #1292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullettuPaandi View Post
Aren't the ones on Thar, ScorpioN and (I believe) Bolero Neo as well called 'BLD'- Brake Locking Differential? I thought that 'MLD'- Mechanical locking Differential, refers to systems such as in Gurkha & that Thar has e-Lockers and not BLD.

I have only recently started to learn about these systems. From what I understand:

1. Cars that use the brakes on the free-spinning wheel to transfer torque to the one on ground are advertised as 'BLD', but largely come under Traction Control System (But some- VW/Skoda from what I've seen so far- seem to advertise this as 'EDL'- Electronic Differential Lock' as well).

2. Mechanism that actually allow locking the differential manually, by either physically pulling a lever- as in the Gurkha- are called 'MLD' (OR) 'e-Locker' if it is actuated by a solenoid on the press of a button (OR) 'Air Lockers' if the differential is locked pneumatically.

3. 'LSD'- Limited Slip Differential, If the locking of the differential is done automatically.

For a newbie like me, the technicals are complicated enough, but with the marketing on top of it, it's so much more confusing. So, correct me if I'm wrong here.
Well, not quite (don't worry, all of us are learning all the time).

BLD (Brake Lock Differential): A vehicle equipped with BLDs has a clutch pack which comes into play when one wheel is spinning and the other is not, it automatically applies the brake to the spinning wheel and transfers the balance of the torque to the wheel that has traction thereby helping the vehicle to move. Sometimes it is also referred to as poor man's locking differential. Suzuki Jimny is equipped with BLDs and this is sufficient for a number of not-so-challenging scenarios.

Most SUVs equipped with BLDs have it on both front and rear axles however BLD only comes into play when the vehicle is in 4-High or 4-Low.

LSD (Limited Slip Differential): Limited Slip Differential is always active and acts independently of the BLD.

LSD is typically located on the rear differential (live axles). On a slippery surface when one of the wheels is spinning, a limited-slip differential prevents excessive power from being allocated to one wheel which is spinning. Most LSDs employ a viscous coupling or clutch packs.

Locking Differentials: In vehicles equipped with Locking Differentials (sometimes referred to as Lockers) the right and the left wheels on the axle are locked either by actuating a solenoid/mechanically (MLDs), pneumatically (Air Lockers) or electronically (e-Lockers) and the torque split is ensured at 50:50. This is the most potent (and expensive) mechanism to get a 4X4 out of a tricky situation.

Force Gurkha & a few variants of the 2 door Thar has MLDs. Jeep Wrangler Rubicon has e-Lockers. ARB, an Australian company also manufactures air lockers that are engaged pneumatically; in most cases, air lockers will be an after-market fitment and end up being quite expensive.

Hope this clarifies somewhat.

Last edited by Vikram Arya : 9th August 2024 at 18:44. Reason: Addition of content
Vikram Arya is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 19:06   #1293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
locked either by actuating a solenoid/mechanically (MLDs), pneumatically (Air Lockers) or electronically (e-Lockers)
Thanks for explaining!

So, looks like I was wrong about e-Lockers being the ones actuated by solenoid. I thought MLDs are purely mechanical. Now, I'm confused about the difference between a solenoid actuated MLD & an e-Locker. (Someone) Kindly share any resources that explains this in detail.

And, apologies for the off-topic discussion.
BullettuPaandi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 20:23   #1294
BHPian

Thar Roxx front revealed officially. Different grill but its looking good here. Mahindra logo could have been in chrome.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-img_9076.jpeg  

AMG1 is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 20:24   #1295
BHPian

Thar Roxx - Front view as uploaded in X by Mahindra !
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-img_5066.jpeg  

highwaypatrol is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 21:52   #1296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG1 View Post
Thar Roxx front revealed officially. Different grill but its looking good here. Mahindra logo could have been in chrome.
Only 2 front parking sensors near fog lamps.
varunswnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 22:37   #1297
BHPian

Expected colors to be available and this time it seems like Mahindra is doing a grand launch. Somehow Black is more appealing and would look good in matt.

Deep Forest - Green
Everest White
Tango Red
Battleship Grey
Nebula Blue
Burnt Sienna
Stealth Black

Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-colors-thar-roxx.jpg

Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-thar-roxx-colors.jpg
swunkjyn is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 22:46   #1298
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for explaining!

So, looks like I was wrong about e-Lockers being the ones actuated by solenoid. I thought MLDs are purely mechanical. Now, I'm confused about the difference between a solenoid actuated MLD & an e-Locker. (Someone) Kindly share any resources that explains this in detail.

You're right; e-Lockers are the ones that are actuated by a solenoid; sorry that was a mistake on my part. MLDs are mechanical and involve a physical connection between the lever and the locking mechanism. As for the resources, you will find many good YouTube videos explaining different kinds of lockers in depth.
Vikram Arya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2024, 05:38   #1299
BHPian

A bird from M&M Engineering tellls me, there will be many variants and price will span across current Gen Thar to Scorpio versions. Will get more details
Ananthang is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th August 2024, 06:24   #1300
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swunkjyn View Post
Expected colors to be available and this time it seems like Mahindra is doing a grand launch. Somehow Black is more appealing and would look good in matt.
Gawd. My eyes!!!

The white shade really brings out the grille design. Looks like Mahindra went, "Anyway those guys are going to change the grille aftermarket. Just put the simplest, laziest design that isn't JEEP like.

The Burnt Sierra colour looks more desert beige to me. Hope it is. They really should launch a desert beige/khakhi colour if not.
DicKy is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 10th August 2024, 07:48   #1301
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Expected colors to be available and this time it seems like Mahindra is doing a grand launch.

Burnt Sienna
Stealth Black
Attachment 2639474
Burnt Sienna is a new shade that was launched for XUV700. I am yet to see any XUV700 in this shade and no dealership has delivered this color yet where I live. If there are very few takers, then Mahindra stop manufacturing those color.

Black color hides the teeth like grille and if anyone intends to stay on stock grille would opt for darker colors.

"Desert Fury" color of Thar Earth edition has matte finish. I have seen 2 Thars in this color and they really stand out. I wish Mahindra provides "Desert Fury" as a standard color option on both 3-door and Roxx instead of limited edition.
kgt.v8 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2024, 08:18   #1302
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for explaining!

MLD's are pure mechanical lockers. They lock and unlock automatically based on what caliberation mechanicals they have inside. There is no driver control here.

ELD/AirLockers are also mechanical lockers, however, the engagement and disengagement can be controlled and this gives the driver better control. E-Lockers actuate using an electromagnet and the airlockers use air.
dhanushs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th August 2024, 08:21   #1303
BHPian

Quote:
Somehow Black is more appealing and would look good in matt.

Deep Forest - Green
Everest White
Tango Red
Battleship Grey
Nebula Blue
Burnt Sienna
Stealth Black
Red looks good too, and I have a feeling white may not be so ghastly in person (since the 3 door version looks nice in white).

As for burnt Sienna, it's close to the prototype Tumbler presented to Mr. Wayne who then asked :

Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-wayne.jpg
SithDefender is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th August 2024, 09:04   #1304
BHPian

Quote:
Expected colors to be available and this time it seems like Mahindra is doing a grand launch.

Attachment 2639474
I think this grille looks way better than the horrendous barbeque grille in the current Thar. That warranted an immediate aftermarket grille change. I think I can live with this.
SaiSW is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2024, 13:59   #1305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Gawd. My eyes!!!

The white shade really brings out the grille design. Looks like Mahindra went, "Anyway those guys are going to change the grille aftermarket. Just put the simplest, laziest design that isn't JEEP like.

The Burnt Sierra colour looks more desert beige to me. Hope it is. They really should launch a desert beige/khakhi colour if not.
White was the most popular color for Rubicon's I saw in California recently. almost every 3 in 10 Rubicon's was white. I feel it maybe easier to maintain?

I like black but i have never owned a dark color car. Am a bit unsure of how easy or difficult it would be to maintain black over a 8- 10 year period

Am going to book the 5 door thar when it launches
originalamit is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed