Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2024, 09:04   #1276
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
I see no future for Thar 3 door after the 5 door is released. I will not be surprised if they retire the 3 door which has an iconic brand following fans if the numbers donot meet their expectations. It’s all business.
I see the 3 door Thar could still sell albeit in lesser number.
I am single and drive solo. At the max, I might have a friend with me and that makes 2 persons and the 3 door Thar is perfectly suitable for me considering my needs.
There are people who prefer a short wheel base vehicle for off-roading over relatively longer wheel base.
It appears, the 5 door Thar is Mahindra's attempt to make it more convenient and comfortable, rear passenger friendly with some boot space, essentially a family vehicle over an office reading vehicle.

It's like the Tata Steel advertisement. We do this, we do that, and we also make steel.
Here it's Mahindra saying, You can drive it to office, go with family for picnic or visit relatives and you can also use it for off-road adventure..

While, the 3 door Thar with it's limitations is more of an off-road enthusiast's car and less of family car.

I would go for the 3 door Thar any day over the longer version.

I had visited the Mahindra showroom the other day (for 3XO) and also checked the 3 door Thar for curiosity and then visited Maruti showroom to check their Baleno and Jimny. I was persistently insisting the Maruti SA to show me the 3 door Jimny and he kept saying Sir, Jimny comes only in 5 door. I think the Ghost of Thar was on me and I insisted that "No. I have seen the 3 door Jimny. I need a 3 door version". He looked at me like I am a lunatic and again insisted "No sir, Jimny in India is 5 doors version. 3 door Jimny is for export only". After this conversation dragged for a while, the realisation just flashed to my mind. I had mixed up Thar and Jimmy. I deeply apologized and asked him to forgive me for my ignorance and stupidity. Not related to the original subject, but just a funny incident that I felt is worth to share here.
ashkamath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2024, 09:24   #1277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I see no future for Thar 3 door after the 5 door is released. I will not be surprised if they retire the 3 door which has an iconic brand following fans if the numbers donot meet their expectations. It’s all business.
The sales will reduce. For eg in case of the Gurkha, here in Pune, for 20 LWB Gurkhas sold, only 2-3 SWB Gurkhas have been sold. Demand for the SWB is definitely less. The Roxx will sell for sure, some will even keep it as their only car.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 8th August 2024 at 09:25.
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2024, 09:32   #1278
BHPian

Quote:

2. I was sad when XUV5OO was retired. Why? Is it because it doesn't make sense when XUV 7OO is released? What happens to the fans of XUV 5OO? Will they bring back XUV5OO in future?

3. They may even retire the brand like XUV5OO one day leaving all the fans in shock if the numbers are not selling.
manufacture BOF or Monocoque vehicles and space the various moeven enthusiasts like us.

6. I see no future for Thar 3 door after the 5 door is released. I will not be surprised if they retire the 3 door which has an iconic brand following fans if the numbers donot meet their expectations. It’s all business.
1) Even I was sad when the XUV500 brand was discontinued as it was a very capable vehicle with lot of brand recall and aspirational value. It was bizarre when at that time Mahindra had practically zero car models in the 4000mm to 4690mm category where all the action was happening (Scorpio was due for a generation change). So I felt Mahindra could have trimmed 15cm from XUV500 (like what they did to Xylo/Quanto) and launch it as a 4450 mm spacious 5 seater with loads of luggage room with the same 155PS engine. Anyway, now Thar ROXX and XUV400 will cater to that category.

2) For product differentiation, I feel Mahindra should offer Thar ROXX with the 2.2 liter diesel in the 155PS tune as it was offered in the erstwhile XUV500. This will nicely differentiate this product from the 3door Thar as well as from ScorpioN and XUV700 on the other end.

3) The 3 door Thar with the 1.5L diesel will continue to sell as long as
i) The sub-4m rule exists
ii) Maruti Jimny continues to sell in the Indian market.

4) If I was in the product development side of Mahindra, I would definitely toy with the idea of scrapping the 2.0 liter petrol and 2.2 liter engines from the 3 door Thar and instead put a 30hp motor with a 5kwh battery to power the front wheels (AWD on demand). The battery can either be charged by a plug in charging or a hybrid charging system, whichever is cost effective. The 1.5L diesel engine will continue to power the rear wheels. This would actually be less expensive to own than the present 2.0 L petrol and 2.2L diesel Thars (thanks to the sub-4m tax rules), have lower running cost and have very good off-road ability. This way, the product differentiation of the 3door Thar (ultimate off roader under Rs 18 lakhs on road) and the 5 door Thar (ultimate off-roader between Rs 18-28 lakhs on road) is complete.
Based on the product evolution and achievement of milestones, they can also throw in a torque converter AT box and a sunroof to the 3door Thar to make the package more rounded.

Last edited by Geta : 8th August 2024 at 09:42.
Geta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2024, 09:58   #1279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
The bunch of people in the Ad look odd standing like zombies with two of them singing in a grim voice.

They remind me of the Mars mutants standing together in the 1990 blockbuster Total Recall.
Seriously man.

Reminds me of a situation.
Parents of toddlers watching their kids performing for first time in an open ground ceremony. Everyone has equal smile and silence as if to watch their naughty kid to perform there.
PistonCrown is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2024, 15:27   #1280
BHPian

Engine details

Sources tell us that one of the engine options on the Thar Roxx SUV will be Mahindra’s mHawk Gen2 diesel unit. The displacement will continue to be 2.2 litres, with expected power outputs of 150hp and 350Nm for the entry-level model, and 172hp and 370Nm for the higher variant.

The Scorpio N has the same 2.2-litre diesel, though with outputs of 132hp and 171hp. Gearbox options for the Thar Roxx diesel will include a 6-speed manual and a 6-speed torque converter automatic.

Mahindra Thar Roxx petrol engine details
Mahindra has equipped the Thar Roxx petrol line-up with the 2.0-litre turbo engine used in the Scorpio N and XUV700. Like the diesel variant, the Thar Roxx petrol also gets two power outputs: likely to be 160hp and 330Nm for the entry-level model, and 175hp and 380Nm for the higher variants. The Scorpio N gets a 203hp version of the same engine.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...ils-out-432466
VRSriram is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 8th August 2024, 16:04   #1281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRSriram View Post
Engine details

Sources tell us that one of the engine options on the Thar Roxx SUV will be Mahindra’s mHawk Gen2 diesel unit. The displacement will continue to be 2.2 litres, with expected power outputs of 150hp and 350Nm for the entry-level model, and 172hp and 370Nm for the higher variant.

The Scorpio N has the same 2.2-litre diesel, though with outputs of 132hp and 171hp. Gearbox options for the Thar Roxx diesel will include a 6-speed manual and a 6-speed torque converter automatic.

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...ils-out-432466
Thar ROXX is turning to be what TUV300 should have ideally been in 2015. Unfortunately Mahindra didn't have the vision back then of launching a comfortable, feature rich, reliable, spacious 5 seater. TUV300 was a half-hearted, half-baked attempt and Hundai Creta became a roaring success

Cut back to 2024. Thar ROXX seems to be ticking all the right boxes to give tough competition to Creta/Seltos. Even 150PS diesel engine is enough for the game. The 172 PS diesel engine is purely for targetting Harrier (and Hector) I think.

If Mahindra is bringing the Thar ROXX with a 172PS diesel engine, life will become more difficult for premium/luxury 5 seaters like Compass/Tucson/Tiguan and may be for X1 and GLA too.

Last edited by Geta : 8th August 2024 at 16:12.
Geta is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th August 2024, 20:12   #1282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
The sales will reduce. For eg in case of the Gurkha, here in Pune, for 20 LWB Gurkhas sold, only 2-3 SWB Gurkhas have been sold. Demand for the SWB is definitely less. The Roxx will sell for sure, some will even keep it as their only car.
Did SWB Gurkha resale price go down after LWB launch? Asking to understand the effect of Roxx on THAR SWB resale prices.
Old 8th August 2024, 20:25   #1283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The article also mentions that the Roxx will come with ELD.
This means there will be a dedicated switch to engage the rear locking differentials on demand (like the one in Fortuner) unlike an MLD which the driver has no control over its engagement.

This is a step up from the MLD on offer in the Thar and ScorpioN.

Also the 'Intelli turn assist' feature looks interesting that can cut down the turning radius especially during offroading.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 8th August 2024 at 20:28.
for_cars1 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 8th August 2024, 21:25   #1284
BHPian

Quote:
Mahindra Thar Roxx petrol engine details
Mahindra has equipped the Thar Roxx petrol line-up with the 2.0-litre turbo engine used in the Scorpio N and XUV700. Like the diesel variant, the Thar Roxx petrol also gets two power outputs: likely to be 160hp and 330Nm for the entry-level model, and 175hp and 380Nm for the higher variants. The Scorpio N gets a 203hp version of the same engine.
The petrol mStallion at 160hp for starting variants would be good to set low starting price of 5-door Thar. 160hp petrol might eventually become halo model available on paper only. Mahindra showrooms may not even this spec for test drive and once people come into showroom, SAs would push them to mid/top variants as base variant might lack basic creature comforts of a family car.

Petrol 3-door Thar has less mileage, so it would be interesting to see mileage figures of 175HP 5-door Thar
Old 9th August 2024, 10:12   #1285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta View Post
If Mahindra is bringing the Thar ROXX with a 172PS diesel engine, life will become more difficult for premium/luxury 5 seaters like Compass/Tucson/Tiguan and may be for X1 and GLA too.
Beg to differ, but the Thar 5-door might not challenge the X1/GLA. People who go for those are typically going for the brand, not necessarily comparing with existing options in the lower price brackets.
SithDefender is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 10:35   #1286
BHPian

Quote:
Also the 'Intelli turn assist' feature looks interesting that can cut down the turning radius especially during offroading.
I think this will be most talked or USP feature of Thar ROXX. It should help to
manoeuvre tight turning radius on city roads as well is what I think, but as per article it has to be engaged explicitly.
Old 9th August 2024, 11:06   #1287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SithDefender View Post
Beg to differ, but the Thar 5-door might not challenge the X1/GLA. People who go for those are typically going for the brand, not necessarily comparing with existing options in the lower price brackets.
Yours truly also belongs to this category who had his eyes on the X1 launch for his next upgrade but dropped the plans due to the uninspiring powertrain options. Purely for availing depreciation benefits, EVs (BYD Seal/Volvo XC40 recharge) are the better option. But as an overall package, Thar ROXX excites me more than a X1.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are many others like me.

Last edited by Geta : 9th August 2024 at 11:07.
Geta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 11:28   #1288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta View Post
Yours truly also belongs to this category who had his eyes on the X1 launch for his next upgrade but dropped the plans due to the uninspiring powertrain options. Purely for availing depreciation benefits, EVs (BYD Seal/Volvo XC40 recharge) are the better option. But as an overall package, Thar ROXX excites me more than a X1.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are many others like me.
While a lot of car enthusiasts might not care about the brand more than the capabilities of a car, most people I know generally decide the budget first and then look for cars around that budget( And end up pushing it most of the times) or they save money to buy that particular brand they want for bragging rights.
This is true specially in the case of people buying cars from luxury brands.
And most of the people going for X1 would not buy a Mahindra instead.

This ofc is based on my observations in and around my friends and family circle and I can be wrong here.
satyamkolhe is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 16:05   #1289
BHPian

Color options have been shared by Autocar India

http://www.autocarindia.com/stories/...-revealed-1373
swunkjyn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 16:37   #1290
BHPian

Quote:
The article also mentions that the Roxx will come with ELD.
This means there will be a dedicated switch to engage the rear locking differentials on demand (like the one in Fortuner) unlike an MLD which the driver has no control over its engagement.

This is a step up from the MLD on offer in the Thar and ScorpioN.

Aren't the ones on Thar, ScorpioN and (I believe) Bolero Neo as well called 'BLD'- Brake Locking Differential? I thought that 'MLD'- Mechanical locking Differential, refers to systems such as in Gurkha & that Thar has e-Lockers and not BLD.

I have only recently started to learn about these systems. From what I understand:

1. Cars that use the brakes on the free-spinning wheel to transfer torque to the one on ground are advertised as 'BLD', but largely come under Traction Control System (But some- VW/Skoda from what I've seen so far- seem to advertise this as 'EDL'- Electronic Differential Lock' as well).

2. Mechanism that actually allow locking the differential manually, by either physically pulling a lever- as in the Gurkha- are called 'MLD' (OR) 'e-Locker' if it is actuated by a solenoid on the press of a button (OR) 'Air Lockers' if the differential is locked pneumatically.

3. 'LSD'- Limited Slip Differential, If the locking of the differential is done automatically.

For a newbie like me, the technicals are complicated enough, but with the marketing on top of it, it's so much more confusing. So, correct me if I'm wrong here.

Last edited by BullettuPaandi : 9th August 2024 at 16:39.
BullettuPaandi is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks