Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2024, 16:49   #1231
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Mahindra Thar ROXX seen next to the Thar 3-door model:
Wow! now I get the correct perspective. This is going to be a blockbuster like Scorpio N
Old 5th August 2024, 21:54   #1232
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2636904
Now this looks amazing. The hope I lost after I saw the un-camouflaged pictures is back again.

Last edited by graaja : 6th August 2024 at 06:34. Reason: Fixing broken quote tag
Old 5th August 2024, 21:57   #1233
BHPian

Almost 2.2 Lakh premium for 4*4 is just insane. I understand additional hardware required but 2.2 Lakh worth hardware over RWD? RWD also have some cost associated with it, ideally they should only charge the additional cost involved vis-a-vis RWD. It will be very hard to justify the purchase of 4*4 especially when 90% of car's usage will be on tarmac or country rode and even the remaining 10% usage will be moderate enough to be handled by RWD. I had expected 1 Lakh premium over RWD but these prices are disappointing. Atleast they kept the top model under 30 Lakh onraod. But I am quite sure these will be introductory prices and Mahindra will increase them in upcoming months.
Flyingdutchman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 23:27   #1234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingdutchman View Post
But I am quite sure these will be introductory prices and Mahindra will increase them in upcoming months.
The car hasn't been launched yet and no price has been revealed. What is this outrage over speculative prices, if I may ask?
Doonite is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 23:59   #1235
vij
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2636904

Now this looks amazing. The hope I lost after I saw the un-camouflaged pictures is back again.
Looks good. But there is some wide-angle lens stretching going on.
vij is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 02:49   #1236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Mahindra exhibited, to stick 99% to the original, while doing the copy-paste job from the Jeep Wrangler, while making the Thar 3 door, is somehow lost when doing the copy paste for the 5 door. The typical Mahindra weirdness has crept in unfortunately!

... the main aspect the drags down the look of the Thar RoXX is the stepped up roof. ... This suddenly makes the car look very similar to those old Jeeps. .....Coupled with the strong straight lines of the A-pollar and the sharp angulation of the C-pillar, makes it look very busy and Bolero-like.

.. Wrangler's design, the main difference is the absolute flat roof that the Wrangler has. ....

The angular trapeziodial C- pillar is one key deviation from the clean Wrangler design. ....

Its fair to assume that an OEM giant like M&M has the prowess, capability and understanding of what constitutes an aesthetically pleasing design, after all they even own the Italian design house Pininfarina

All M&M needed to do was to just extend the Thar 3 door design and plonk in the extra doors, without that odd window shape, without the rear-ward bulging roofline, without the odd vertical door handles and the quirky looking inverted triangular rear window. That would have preserved the aesthetics and ensured that planted and handsome "Wrangler look" that we all desire in the 5 door.

However, if they had taken the above design route, would they be able to sell the Roxx in overseas markets? No! they would immediately get into a legal tussle with Jeep who would block its overseas sales, like they did with the 3 door.

Instead, M&M has taken a different design route to carry forward the standout elements of its earlier legacy models such as vertical door handles, bulging metal roof, and created new ones such that grill and inverted triangular windows etc., and clearly and distinctly steered away from the Wrangler design language.
Its a head(legal) over heart(aesthetics) design decision. It gives it a utilitarian M&M heritage look for sure.

This way, the Roxx is going to not only rock our market but it has the potential to even give the Wrangler a run for its money in overseas markets as well.

Who knows, M&M might sue Jeep if they come up with a metal top with sunroof on the Wrangler in future

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th August 2024 at 11:06. Reason: broken quote tags, and some typos
for_cars1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 06:18   #1237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
I am surprised by the interest in the name Armada, to me it was a utility vehicle which showed how far behind Mahindra was in comparison to other OEMs in India. Not taking away the reality - even though far behind in terms of R&D, the vehicle in itself was very hardy & dependable.

There are some other names from that Era that can be resurrected - Sierra is one, another one being - Gypsy

So Armada may be a poor choice, it would be Similar to relaunching Sumo or Indica.
But..., I do want a Sumo relaunch, and I'm sure I'm not alone. I even want an Indica relaunch in 15-20 years. These are such precious names to many of us.

It may have broken our back, but the original Sumo used to turn heads, at least those of children at the time. It's pure nostalgia with a dash of desire for simplicity. Armada when it was launched, was a breath of fresh air after decades of the same old design. If you dig deep, you will find ads where Mahindra wanted it to be their cool child, not just any utilitarian van.

5-door Thar evokes no such feeling. It deserves the Commander nameplate, a missed opportunity to revive it.
Formula1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 07:04   #1238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2636904

The wide angle photo makes the thar Roxx much bigger than what it is and Thar smaller than its real size.

For reference, this pic of my Safari Storme and Nexon doesn't do any justice to the Nexon

Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-20210825_181558.jpg

Thar 3 door itself is a big SUV imho.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 10:00   #1239
BHPian

Here’s comes another teaser showing the sunroof in all its glory.
Ventilated seats?
Full digital Instrument cluster
Leather Dashboard

Last edited by aashish_84 : 6th August 2024 at 10:03.
aashish_84 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 10:21   #1240
BHPian

Thar Roxx has all gizmos as we expected, however they still couldn't change the flimsy A/C air-vent which is a pain for all of us in the old Thar. I have changed it almost 5 times under warranty in the last 3 years or so.
highwaypatrol is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 10:39   #1241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashish_84 View Post
Here’s comes another teaser showing the sunroof in all its glory.
Ventilated seats?
Full digital Instrument cluster
Leather Dashboard
Not to forget the Harman Kardon sound system. Mahindra has loaded it to the brim. Most sales will be from RWD for sure. I don't see too many 5 door Thars going off-road anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
Thar Roxx has all gizmos as we expected, however they still couldn't change the flimsy A/C air-vent which is a pain for all of us in the old Thar. I have changed it almost 5 times under warranty in the last 3 years or so.
Maybe you should get the G wagen AC vents now

Last edited by Dippy : 6th August 2024 at 10:40.
Dippy is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 10:48   #1242
Bit
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
I don't see too many 5 door Thars going off-road anyway.
And why exactly would that be? It's supposed to be an offroading capable vehicle and if people can use scorpio for thorough off-roading, I can't see why the Thar 5D would be inferior to Scorpio (if not superior than Thar 3D).
Bit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 10:54   #1243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashish_84 View Post
Here are some features that are confirmed:

Harman/Kardon speakers
Soft touch dashboard
All white interior
10.25" Touchscreen
Digital Instrument cluster
Panoramic sunroof
Leather seats
Auto AC
LED Reading lights

Last edited by sharmanova : 6th August 2024 at 10:56.
sharmanova is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 11:00   #1244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post
And why exactly would that be? It's supposed to be an offroading capable vehicle and if people can use scorpio for thorough off-roading, I can't see why the Thar 5D would be inferior to Scorpio (if not superior than Thar 3D).
Not doubting its capabilities at all and surely not inferior. Heck I own a 3 door Thar 4x4 myself.

To put it simply Im just saying majority of owners wont take it off-road, only the enthusiasts like us. For most the Thar Roxx will be more of a style statement. And why not? It has that character and aspirational value
Dippy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th August 2024, 11:21   #1245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post
The typical usage of a lifestyle 4x4 in an actual offroad situation is minimal. I know of people in my community having a Jeep Compass 4x4 and ScorpioN 4x4 explorer over the last 2 years and one can literally count the no. of times they have taken it offroad.

For me personally, I love the Thar Roxx as it gives me the practicality of 5 door while keeping me interested in offroading expeditions from time to time. I hope they provide a grey or black interiors, the white ones don't impress me that much.
diwakarmuthu is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed