Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2024, 12:28   #1216
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar

Surprisingly as reported here, an Instagram post is referred to by Rushlane, states that a Roxx bodyshell like entity in white, was spotted at a scrapyard Mayapuri, Delhi.

The post adds:-

Quote:
In a surprising turn of events, the soon-to-be-launched Mahindra Thar ROXX SUV’s body shell has been spotted at a scrapyard in Mayapuri, Delhi. This unexpected sighting has sparked a flurry of speculation and interest among automotive enthusiasts and industry insiders.

Karol Bagh Theory:-
Some Instagram users speculated in the comments that this body shell might have been procured by aftermarket shops. They suggested that these shops could be using the body shell to get measurements and create accessories for the upcoming Thar ROXX. One user remarked, “Sari measurements lenge isse for chrome and other fitments,” hinting at the preparations for custom modifications and enhancements.
Full news with images:-

https://www.rushlane.com/mahindra-th...-12502832.html

Last edited by Aditya : 6th August 2024 at 05:42. Reason: Spacing
anjan_c2007 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th August 2024, 12:57   #1217
BHPian

We got Thar ROXX Bodyshell in Mayapuri before GTA 6

Jokes aside, I'm wondering how did the Karolbagh bhaiyyas managed to get one ?

Last edited by sharmanova : 4th August 2024 at 13:00.
sharmanova is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th August 2024, 14:21   #1218

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharmanova View Post
We got Thar ROXX Bodyshell in Mayapuri before GTA 6

Jokes aside, I'm wondering how did the Karolbagh bhaiyyas managed to get one ?
They might be from one of test mules which usually gets scrapped.
MiamiBlue is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th August 2024, 16:48   #1219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtRao View Post
Thar 5 door Body Shell spied in Scrap Market
First Alloys were available in aftermarket for sale and now this full body shell even before launch. Don't know what's going on with mahindra.
Thanks to whoever took this video, as it gives us some more insights into the design, just days before the launch.

Name:  Screenshot 20240804 161604.png
Views: 335
Size:  449.5 KB

Big gouge on the rear door and dents on the front door indicate that this was probably used for some kind of testing, or damaged during production. Since this looks to be a body-in-white, it is likely that this was damaged during production and was scrapped.

But then, the covering on the body ahead of the front doors and behind the rear doors doesn't make sense for an in-production body. I'm guessing that it is more likely to be a test body, and that the "X"s mark impact points or something.

Whatever it was used for, I'm sure heads will roll for scrapping this body so carelessly, and that too before the launch date. This is not how Mahindra intended it for it to be revealed, with the ROXX and Mahindra caught naked!!

This does not look like a panoramic sunroof to me. Maybe they have 2 types of sunroofs, for lower and higher variants.

Name:  Screenshot 20240804 161721.png
Views: 329
Size:  436.9 KB

I had commented previously that there was no room for a normal rear door handle placement in the existing design. IMO this is confirmed by this pic, as you can see in this shot how high the rear wheel fender cladding goes into the rear door. This also tells us that the rear door cladding is part of the door, as seen in the Scorpio.

Name:  Screenshot 20240804 161915.png
Views: 340
Size:  394.5 KB

This shot gives us an excellent view of the "thicc" triangular C-pillar, and the relatively thinner D pillar. Since this is a 5 seater, and an off-road focused vehicle, I think that this has two advantages. It offers better protection to the passenger compartment in the event of a rollover, and the thinner D pillar might also improve rear visibility out of the corner window. I think the thicker C-pillar is essential if there is a panoramic sunroof.

Also, those seats heaped up below the Thar seem like Mahindra seats, especially the brown ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-screenshot-20240804-163358.png  

Last edited by vivekgk : 4th August 2024 at 16:53.
vivekgk is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 4th August 2024, 21:17   #1220
BHPian

I would just like to add another effect/point:

Many Car Enthusiasts/Offroaders/Adventurers/ Petrol Heads were disappointed when Thar 3 door was launched and many waited incremental years relying on the speculation that thar 5 door will be launched soon, and that had become one of the most speculative discussion in the review, forums, YouTube videos, auto news everywhere. But Mahindra continually disappointed us and kept us waiting for like eternity. And now that prized product from Mahindra has finally arrived. Many would be able to venture into owning their old dream.

So, obviously we will be seeing few 3 doors in the car market starting from now as not everyone will be able to maintain/afford/ (for a purpose) two Thars in their home/garrage.

Last edited by topse : 4th August 2024 at 21:18.
topse is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 00:38   #1221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheM0nk View Post
On a lighter note, "INTEHAA HO GAYII INTEZAAR KI". As they say why change something that works

Attachment 2635471
Somehow this has G Wagon vibes to it, looks like Mahindra decided to take inspiration from Mercedes to avoid getting into Jeep Wrangler discussions. They must have thought, let’s make it even more aspirational.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtRao View Post
https://Youtube.com/watch?v=6df7Enlz...L0qvZrZEYzykCo

Thar 5 door Body Shell spied in Scrap Market
First Alloys were available in aftermarket for sale and now this full body shell even before launch. Don't know what's going on with mahindra.
Could be a purposeful leak, similar leaks were observed before XUV700 launch. Positive or Negative they have managed to keep the interest alive.

I still wish they launch it as Armada, if only for some virus named Roxx!
(Zica —> Tiago)
sapien is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 02:21   #1222
BHPian

Time for Force to launch a premium Gurkha. Exterior wise, Roxxxx is starting to look like a jumbled mess, as is expected from their chief designer.

All I want is a Mahindra FJ Cruiser named Armada.
Formula1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 10:39   #1223
Senior - BHPian

I somehow think, after the initial hype the Roxx will be a flop.

India is a market which demands and asks for a lot of things on social media but then when it comes to buying it, a fraction of them will take the plunge especially when decisions are driven mostly by the family.

Till the time Thar was positioned as a lifestyle vehicle, it sold and still does. However its more of an indulgence, and in 99% of the cases the 2nd or 3rd car in the house. The family doesn't mind it as long you have the funds and another car in the house for them to travel comfortably and be seen in.

The 5 door Thar is going to be positioned as a family vehicle, and the family will in most cases will push for the Scorpio N because a 'Jeep' will have the image of being uncomfortable. A lot of people will maybe upgrade from a 3 door Thar, but in the long run am not sure how successful it will be. Similarly, with the Jimny, I always said the 3 door would have been super successful, but 5 door being positioned as a family car will be a flop.
Altocumulus is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 10:46   #1224
Distinguished - BHPian

I cannot but help think that the Thar RoXX looks somewhat pedestrian. The discipline that Mahindra exhibited, to stick 99% to the original, while doing the copy-paste job from the Jeep Wrangler, while making the Thar 3 door, is somehow lost when doing the copy paste for the 5 door. The typical Mahindra weirdness has crept in unfortunately!

Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-screenshot_20240805_104153_chrome.jpg

If you compare with the Jeep Wrangler, the main aspect the drags down the look of the Thar RoXX is the stepped up roof. In the interest of creating more head room for the rear passengers and giving a nod to the historical Mahindra Major and Commander (which also had such stepped up roofs, to accomodate upto 6 rear passengers sat longitudinally on benches facing each other on top of the high rear axle), Mahindra has made the mistake of creating too obvious a step-up in the roof. This suddenly makes the car look very similar to those old Jeeps. It also makes the design too cluttered as the roof element is very clearly disticnt from the rest of the car and looks like an aftert-hought that has been plastered on. Coupled with the strong straight lines of the A-pollar and the sharp angulation of the C-pillar, makes it look very busy and Bolero-like.

Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-screenshot_20240805_103309_chrome.jpg

If you look at the Wrangler's design, the main difference is the absolute flat roof that the Wrangler has. Although of a different color, there is better integration in the design of the roof to the rest of the car. Also the second row appears at the same level as the first row, as evidenced by the equal height placement of the door handles. Both of these things give the Wrangler a very squat and planted look. I wonder why M&M went for a higher placement of the second row compared to the first row in the Thar RoXX, as that is another quirk that takes away from the seamlessness of the design and makes the car look more like an utility oriented goods transporter. The hight difference is obvious from the relative placement of the door hinges, which are not in line with each other and totally disrupts the homogeniety and balance of the design.

Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-screenshot_20240805_103347_chrome.jpg

Although I was eagerly looking forward to the five door Thar, with a potential plan to replace my 3 door with it, I am herewith passing all such thoughts after seeing the initial spy shots of this vehicle. I do hope the actual car, when revealed in August 15 would look better than in the spy shots, but my hopes are dim, knowing the amount of misguided energy that Mahindra typically demonstrates in design of their recenr cars, one example being the ugly Walrus-tooth shaped headlines on the XUV 700.

The angular trapeziodial C- pillar is one key deviation from the clean Wrangler design. This is necessitated because the Thar RoXX had to fit a smaller footprint, with a length of about 4.3 meters versus the 4.87 meters of the Wrangler. This means it has to have a very narrow rear door, you can see it is barely wide enought to squeeze oneself through. Such a narrow door cannot accomodate a grab handle similar to that on the front door. M&M therefore could not provide a grab handle for the rear door and the handle had to be placed higher up as a notch type handle. To accomodate such a handle, the designers needed to bring in a metallic body element in that part of the upper rear body, which can accomodate the locks etc.

This metallic element then had to be tapered off and cut down as it goes to the rear, creating the strange trapezoidal look around the rear window due to the slanting c-pillar. What makes it even weirder is the second inverted trpezoid that is then forced into the shape of the rear quarter glass. This is an ugly example of function over form - how a functional requirement to provide a notch handle totally upsets the aesthetics of the car. At M&M, the engineers would have easily silenced the designers, considering the strong engineering culture of the company and the fact that, what made M&M successful all these decades is the utilitarian value of thier products transporting men, animals, produce and ammunition over thr hills and valleys of our vast country since independance.

Last edited by graaja : 5th August 2024 at 11:50. Reason: Merging as requested
84.monsoon is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 11:54   #1225
Mik
BHPian

We always have this cycle with Mahindra of a weird spy shot of an upcoming Mahindra launch/facelift and the real product turning out to be more wholesome and integrated. We should all hold our horses. The Wrangler-ish design will win through and the white interiors with the big sunroof will move this off the assembly lines very fast. A blockbuster is upon us, unless Mahindra gets the pricing wrong badly - but i think they won't.
If competitively priced, am more interested in how they approach the 3 door hence-forth. Maybe trim the variants?
Mik is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 12:01   #1226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I cannot but help think that the Thar RoXX looks somewhat pedestrian.
The wheelbase needed to be longer to accommodate the 4-door. This is one big drawback of trying to templatize everything and reuse platforms and common panels. Reminds me of a Mahindra Armada that we used to get.
Old 5th August 2024, 12:38   #1227
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqr View Post
Mahindra Thar Roxx (diesel) ballpark pricing

Mahindra has got nearly everything right for Thar Roxx so far: dimension, proportions, road presence, practicality of the 5-door, features, and equipment level on par with the competition. The only thing left is to price it right.
Quote:
Thar Roxx Cost Synergy
While it may appear the cost is in sync with Thar 3 Door, the total volumes (3+5) might be in line with the Scorpio N. The impact of scale might not be seen just yet.

Simpler mechanisms, a new rear suspension, longer chassis, significantly new changes that may flow down to the thar 3D in time may restrict the economies of scale.

Quote:
GST
The biggest expectation impact is here.

Quote:

Pricing
All said and done, the Thar remains largely impractical for a normal user. Creature comforts & the want of an abuse-friendly car reduce the ability to price higher

Quote:

Cannibalization
Personally, I feel the Scorpio N customer is way different than that of a Thar. the overlap may happen in the 4WD variants. With the 3D there will be a definite overlap. People looking at 3D as the only car would definitely get the 5D
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 12:48   #1228
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra Thar ROXX seen next to the Thar 3-door model:

Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-screenshot-20240805-124552.png

Link:
volkman10 is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 12:51   #1229
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula1 View Post

All I want is a Mahindra FJ Cruiser named Armada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapien View Post

I still wish they launch it as Armada, if only for some virus named Roxx!
(Zica —> Tiago)
I am surprised by the interest in the name Armada, to me it was a utility vehicle which showed how far behind Mahindra was in comparison to other OEMs in India. Not taking away the reality - even though far behind in terms of R&D, the vehicle in itself was very hardy & dependable.

There are some other names from that Era that can be resurrected - Sierra is one, another one being - Gypsy

So Armada may be a poor choice, it would be Similar to relaunching Sumo or Indica.
Kosfactor is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th August 2024, 14:33   #1230
BHPian

More than the name I am disappointed with the way it looks in uncamouflaged version shared above by rushlane. This resembles more like Armada or Bolero and nowhere close to the aspirational butch looks of Thar 3 door.

I use the word aspirational because I feel a large part of the Thar 3D success is that. People are willing to compromise on many tenets of a car in that, but I for one can't, at least for the 5D seen above.

I think 3D will still hold a special place in our market. Lets see if Mahindra can pull a XUV700 by the time actual car arrives.

Last edited by ChauhanSaurabh : 5th August 2024 at 14:36.
ChauhanSaurabh is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks