Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2024, 22:15   #1201
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar

That roof needs better flattening, why do we need to give age old Head space slant. Body development has evolved, hell even Jimny has better roof than this Thar Roxx
iskandariya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2024, 23:17   #1202
Senior - BHPian

Roofline hints at 2 things for me:

1) Armada or the yesteryear 5 door Jeeps from Mahindra had a sloping roof. Most likely the OG name for this vehicle was indeed Armada. But, somehow they had a change of heart & mind mid-way, seems like!

2) Pic indicates the car model is top of the line. Most likely it has that Panaromic sunroof which is housed under this sloping roof design? Maybe?

Regardless, it'll look good in darker shades. Not so sure with otherwise. But, remains as a strong contender for my next upgrade, regardless a year or 2 down the line.
gururajrv is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2024, 23:42   #1203

I have a question- what does Roxx mean?

In my opinion, Armada sounds like a much better name, gives a tough feel to the car, though I don't know what it means either .
But Rocks... err, I mean Roxx? Seriously? What were the people at Mahindra thinking?

Coming to the car itself, it has that butch presence, much more than the Jimny. Will pick this up anyday over a Jimny.
Old 2nd August 2024, 23:43   #1204
Distinguished - BHPian

^ Backseat is the key, check out the Wrangler's rear seat - that is the clue

Armada maybe a cool name but the vehicle that existed then holds no such brand value to be resurrected as a lifestyle off-roader.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2024, 23:58   #1205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Mahindra Thar ROXX side view:

Attachment 2635427

Attachment 2635426

Link:
This looks more like the next generation Bolero Classic. I was expecting better. Let's see how it turns out in real life.
CkmGowda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2024, 10:17   #1206
BHPian

The more i look at the ROXX the more it looks like a premium Bolero to me. I have always liked the Bolero design but Thar was on a different league.
Old 3rd August 2024, 10:40   #1207
Senior - BHPian

That roofline is a Pratap Bose signature it seems. Safari too has similar (albeit less pronounced roofline).

Somehow he is delivering what best he can… god bless Roxx.
Old 3rd August 2024, 11:06   #1208
BHPian

Kudos to Pratap Bose for spoiling the best looking SUV. I have been waiting for 5 door from years. Why can’t they just make a 5 door thar as simple as 3D and 4D wrangler. Design wise they are identical. Just another couple of doors.

Good move TATA by getting rid of this guy. The front design of Nexon, Punch and Harrier/Safari are the worst earlier and now it’s the best in the updated versions from Martin.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 3rd August 2024 at 11:49. Reason: Removing unwanted spaces + adding full stop.
puntolover is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2024, 11:24   #1209
Senior - BHPian

ROXX is a glorified Bolero with Thar name. Especially in its RWD only, 1.5 litre engine. It looks more like the original Bolero which succeeded Armada Grand.

I didn't like the rear quarter glass shape, but I have to see the vehicle in person to form any opinion.

The raised roof could be to accommodate more head room for rear passengers.
Old 3rd August 2024, 11:43   #1210
BHPian

Re: Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanemate View Post
Side view, undisguised. Looks much better in the ad! But such photos often don't do justice.

Source: https://www.rushlane.com/mahindra-th...-12502662.html
The alloys don’t go well with the car at all and that roofline somehow makes it look like some CV. It seems to have lost the rugged, butch road presence of the Thar.
Old 3rd August 2024, 14:14   #1211
Bit
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Mahindra Thar ROXX side view:

Attachment 2635427

Attachment 2635426

Link:
Looks utterly bland, cheap, and hideous.

How do I book it?
Bit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2024, 16:45   #1212

Thar 5 door Body Shell spied in Scrap Market
First Alloys were available in aftermarket for sale and now this full body shell even before launch. Don't know what's going on with mahindra.
GtRao is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2024, 21:26   #1213
pqr
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra Thar Roxx (diesel) ballpark pricing

Mahindra has got nearly everything right for Thar Roxx so far: dimension, proportions, road presence, practicality of the 5-door, features, and equipment level on par with the competition. The only thing left is to price it right.

Since 2020, Mahindra has been very aggressive with launch pricing (Thar gen-2, XUV 500 gen-2, Scorpion gen-3), and recently it was again demonstrated with the rebranded 3XO launch, which undercut competition pricing and brought Tata Nexon into the discount game.

Thar Roxx Cost Synergy

Up to B-Pillar, Roxx has cost synergy with existing Thar on sale. The new rear suspension setup has cost synergy with the Scorpio N. New features developed for XUV 700 and 3XO have been added to Thar Roxx.

Essentially, new development costs are limited to extending existing Thar (engineering cost + material cost) and integrating new features, new ECU and BCM, followed by testing, validation, and homologation. And of course, production-side investments.

GST

Thar Roxx will sit in the 45% GST tax slab for 1.5L diesel engine, which is now longer than 4m. 2L petrol and 2.2L diesel will attract 50% GST due to engine sizes bigger than 1.5L and 170mm+ ground clearance.

Pricing

Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-1.png

Room for pricing Thar Roxx RWD with 1.5L and 2.2L diesel could be in the ex-showroom price range of ₹ 14-21.2 lakh. That way it will fit in the sweet spot, as its size is exactly between Thar 3-door (3.985 m) and Scorpio N (4.662 m). For 4WD hardware, the additional surcharge in Mahinda world is nearly ₹ 2,20,000 lakh. So a car equipped with 2.2L diesel 4x4 option could sit in the ex-showroom price range of ₹ 16–23.5 lakh.

Cannibalization

If priced and positioned right, it has the potential to take volume away from the existing Thar (-3,000/month) and bigger Scorpio N (-2,000/month), but at the end of the day, it could add its own volume (+7,000) and profit margin. Combine all, and Mahindra will end up selling more cars, as buyers with different budgets and use cases will have a choice from - lifestyle-oriented everyday recreational off-roader like the Thar, or practical family-focused Roxx version, or a bigger and more spacious Scorpio, basically a one-stop shop for someone looking for a strongman image.

Moreover, a well-priced Thar Roxx can eat into volumes of crossovers like the Hyundai Creta, as it offers similar features and equipment levels and, in addition, a powerful engine option and emotional value of form factor that no one on the road would like to mess with.

Design

It carries the same bold and intimidating butch look as Thar, and when I saw it in person, it looked quite well proportioned. Unlike the existing Thar 3 door, which looks somehow truncated at the back. Still, looks are a very subjective thing.

Name

In the past, Toyota did add suffixes to some of its products in India, like the Corolla (Altis) and Innova (Crysta/Hycross), during generation change for the purpose of psychological differentiation, but the Indian audience in general kept on calling them by their first names only. In my view, people will just start calling the 5-door version ‘Thar’ and forget about the Roxx part. May be 3 doors will get the new colloquial name ‘Choti’ Thar in the north.

Overall Thar Roxx is a very promising product and is in the making of another blockbuster success story as of now. Let us see which way Mahindra will take it from a pricing and positioning perspective.
pqr is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 4th August 2024, 09:40   #1214
BANNED

I have a feeling that history will repeat like XUV700. We know how it turned out after the initial bashing it received even from among us.
Believe me, however your camera captures an image, it will look different in real life. Because in real life there are people for whom Thar is an emotion, experienced its sheer take me anywhere character and still proud to own one. I feel, a lot of those guys took and will take decision by heart not by brain(including me).

Waiting for August 15th
vimalvittaladas is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th August 2024, 11:22   #1215
BHPian

Is there any info regarding bookings? Whether they’ll open on 15th Aug itself or after some time.
shivamk11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks