Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2024, 20:53   #1141
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar

Some of the things I like from this peek:
1. Reclinable rear seats. Hope they recline even more, similar to cloud EV.
2. Grab rails for climbing in the car for all seats. Missed in current Thar for driver.
3. Even though the sunroof is single pane in this version, still it is in the middle so rear passengers can get a peek out of it, not just the driver.
4. I think the white is same as XUV 3x0. Will be tough to maintain, but pleasant to live in.
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 22:33   #1142
BHPian

Mahindra looks to add five-door Thar production capacity by 4,000 units per month

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com.../112174946.cms
VRSriram is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2024, 23:24   #1143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
If they used the Scorpio platform, why not keep the same length! Because of the wheel at the back taking more space?
Keeping the Roxx shorter at the rear could be an intentional move to avoid the it cannibalizing into the ScorpioN sales.
A shorter Roxx has no scope for a front facing 3rd row. The boot space appears less even for a side facing jump seat making it strictly a 5 seater.

That way, customers who want a 7 seater or bigger boot space will still go for ScorpioN and those need a 5 seater hardcore 4x4 with fine with lesser boot space will go with Roxx.

Keeping the rear of the Roxx shorter will also help achieve that needed higher departure angle (due to lesser rear overhang compared to ScorpioN) as a purpose built off-roader is supposed to be.

I hope M&M soon come out with a revised tailgate design for the ScorpioN that gels better with the rest of the SUV and also get rid of that christmas tree tail-lights to move it away from its WagonR like looks from the rear.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 31st July 2024 at 23:38.
for_cars1 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 00:12   #1144
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Keeping the rear of the Roxx shorter will also help achieve that needed higher departure angle (due to lesser rear overhang compared to ScorpioN) as a purpose built off-roader is supposed to be.
I ask this question to myself multiple times a day, why do I need an off roader?
Here's why?
1) for driving to office! through potholed/ broken roads (all round the year in Gurgaon)
2) for wading through water! 1.5 months a year.
3) for parking anywhere and not worrying much about other people's doors!. (other SUVs are like sedans, look good till they are shiny) (flat doors and outward foot step and wheel arches really help Thar, it's expected to have much fewer dings!)
4) for exiting mall parking and other situations of driving through non-sensical traffic! I need to NOT have coloured shiny bumpers, wheel arches and side mirrors!!
5) 4x4 for not getting stuck in a muddy parking lot made out of a park!
(with all these facilities in the city who needs off roading!)

The problem is, the 600ltr boot of the Octavia is just too good to beat for a holiday drive! but I'm tired of protecting the sedan! almost making it work from home!

If Thar doesn't get 450L+ boot, its going to be too small for out of town drives for me!

Last edited by SLK : 1st August 2024 at 00:23.
SLK is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 06:17   #1145
BHPian

Ah the name..

Thar - Evokes the imagery of wandering in a desert and adventure. Classy, aspirational to the young, the middle aged and the seniors.

Roxx - Evokes the imagery of a hostel mate describing their favourite Honey Singh tune. At 38, I am not spending a penny on a car that seems to have come out of a part-time hipsters' focus group (cause I am sure full time hipsters have very very high standards).
fastestindian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 09:42   #1146
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Seems they have made this Thar just enough to have 5 doors, rear looks cramped for sure, boot too looks paltry.

The Roxx should have had some tagline like "right choice baby" or "yo baby" to make it feel fully 90s
Old 1st August 2024, 09:50   #1147
BHPian

The teaser release a couple of days back had a larger sunroof. Could it be possible that Roxx will be offered in multiple variants. One with the smaller sunroof and one with the panoramic sunroof?

I also noticed in the video that Mahindra has removed the 4x4 selector. This might have been replaced with a dial selector.
Old 1st August 2024, 09:51   #1148
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonder where the 4x4 selector is gone. Not even one test mule had the Thar 3 door like mechanical selector lever. Nor the ScorpioN's dial selector. Has it been made into some button/scroller on the dashboard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunswnt View Post

Interesting to see who bullies whom when both Thar and Thar ROXX come face to face at various intersections on city roads.

Depends on which ones is lifted more, size of the tyre and number of auxiliary lights.
Ooh, and attitude of the driver.
DicKy is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 10:16   #1149
BHPian

Quote:
I ask this question to myself multiple times a day, why do I need an off roader?
Here's why?
1) for driving to office! through potholed/ broken roads (all round the year in Gurgaon)
2) for wading through water! 1.5 months a year.
Any soft roader with tough suspension like the Tata Harrier will suffice for such needs along with better ride quality without excess body roll

My mother punishes our Harrier on bad roads daily during her commute
V0id2003 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 10:18   #1150
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Mahindra is missing an opportunity to further establish Thar as a hardcore 4X4 brand. What were they thinking by providing "white" upholstery in a 2 million off-road machine ? White interiors on a black car will just look T-A-C-K-Y, not to mention "Roxx" to add on to the tackiness.

Instead, they should have taken this opportunity to replicate / get inspired (further) from the OG Wrangler and provided options like removable doors & roof panels.

These takes efforts and money in terms of R&D and Mahindra should have done that instead of rushing a 5 door "extended" version of the 3 door model just to make more moolah and impress the shareholders in the short term.
Sk8r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 10:26   #1151

Mahindra is known for its striking initial prices for the base variants. Can we expect the base variant to start from 12.49 or 12.99 lakhs?
Old 1st August 2024, 10:28   #1152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Mahindra is missing an opportunity to further establish Thar as a hardcore 4X4 brand.
-------
These takes efforts and money in terms of R&D and Mahindra should have done that instead of rushing a 5 door "extended" version of the 3 door model just to make more moolah and impress the shareholders in the short term.
I think the variants will be classified into two major categories. The Lifestyle and the Offroading. The lifestyle variants might be having the white interior and sunroof whereas the black interiors ( seen in some spy pictures ) with no sunroof for the offroading variants.
Old 1st August 2024, 10:42   #1153
BHPian

The interiors of Roxx doing the rounds are IMO from 4×2 version, the gaping slot next to the gear lever is there.

Love the white interiors, maintenance will be a chore. Also the grab handle on both the A & B pillers, on all 4 doors, should be made available for the 3 door version also.
Old 1st August 2024, 10:44   #1154
Senior - BHPian

That rear door from inside looks like that of an auto rikshaw. Spotted one near the office last week (E-City) and overall stance is good. By adding the light color interior theme they converted Thar in to a MUV. XUV700 has similar interior color scheme and it sucks!
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2024, 11:12   #1155
BHPian

Quote:
2) for wading through water! 1.5 months a year...
Quote:
Originally Posted by V0id2003 View Post
Any soft roader with tough suspension like the Tata Harrier will suffice for such needs along with better ride quality without excess body roll...
You both might wanna rethink this after the recent asinine court ruling during the unfortunate basement flooding case.

In any unfortunate fatal event by the looks of it, if no one else, car owners will be blamed.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed