Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2024, 08:31   #1066
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar

Thar Roxx

My pets have better names Tipsy and Sherry.

Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-img20220925091441.jpg
Vinod_nair is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 08:47   #1067
BHPian

This naming fiasco represents an amazing opportunity for the aftermarket where you could simply remove Thar Roxx and put something different like Thar Armada or just Thar. Despite the name , i am highly tempted to get this SUV into my Garage this year if the family approves .

Last edited by drift2race : 23rd July 2024 at 08:48.
Old 23rd July 2024, 09:40   #1068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij View Post
Maybe Mahindra will have a Rubicon-like model that they will call "Gladius" or "Armada"
The only Indian equivalent name would be RubyKaun

It would be like those RoyBans or RayBons that we can pick on the roadside
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 11:21   #1069

While I agree that the name of the car has gotten to everybody, the product or its features / utilities have gone out of discussion.

Come on guys - the name matters once - that is when you decide on the product. The product is what we are going to live with. Let us focus on the product and its utilities rather than its name.

I'm saying this remembering how the name of TATA PUNCH was the most disliked when it was announced - we all know where TATA PUNCH now stands!
microscopic is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 11:31   #1070
Team-BHP Support

Let me give a contrary opinion about the name; though ROXX is not such a great name, I would prefer it to Armada any day. For people who grew up seeing and owning Mahindra Armada, the name itself brings bad memories. Terrible interior and space, rather lazy engines and all. Only positive thing about that vehicle was it had lockable hard top and some pretty decent handling for a 4x4 Mahindra Jeep. Armada again gives it a feel it is going to be a wallowing ship.

As far as ROXX goes, if I were to buy one am sure it would be called Roxie lovingly. And from the press release they seem to be targeting many Roxie's in real life too and they do love such ROXX names lol. If you get what am saying.

Jokes apart ROXX anyday over Armada for me, and Thar LWB (Long Wheel Base) would have been more than enough to differentiate in the market.

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd July 2024 at 11:51.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 11:36   #1071
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Mahindra hired someone from Tata who named the car Punch to go with cheesy names.
Thar Roxx resonates with Thar Rocks! When Thar 5-door names were being thought out, somebody just yelled Thar Rocks and everyone in the room rocked with this name, but rocks doesn’t look nice, so let’s give a slang to the name, and hence came Thar Roxx.

Mahindra already sells Bolero Neo (5 seater) and Bolero Neo Plus (7 seater). Thar could have been named Thar Plus to follow the same naming strategy as Bolero, but Thar Plus doesn’t sound nice.

Thar-5 could have been another name for the 5-door.

Or all of this is to hide incompetency of Mahindra sales advisors across their dealerships who don’t know what features the car has or even about all variant in the lineup.

When you go to their sales people after Aug 15, you either say I want to book Thar ( which is 3 door) or you say I want to book Roxx (which is 5 door). With the same name, SA might end up booking 3 door when you wanted to book 5 door.
Old 23rd July 2024, 13:03   #1072
BHPian

Why is there a need for a suffix or a new nomenclature for what is essentially the same car?
It is understandable when Maruti distinguishes a Baleno with a Fronx as they want to market them as two different segments but couldn't the 'Thar ROXX' be just called 'Thar' and let the customers decide if they want a 3 door or a 5 door version of it? I see this happening with other manufacturers as well - Harrier/Safari, Compass/Meridian etc..
Is there a legal requirement in India to differentiate?

Last edited by Porschefire : 23rd July 2024 at 13:31.
Old 23rd July 2024, 13:33   #1073
Bit
BHPian

I would even go on to say that if not Armada, if not Thar Plus, even not Thar-5, and considering they were hell bent on the sound of "ROCKS" they could have simply kept it ROX...

I don't know why but just the ROX without double X gives lesser chhapri vibes and sounds like a well planted name. The term ROX would have achieved what Mahindra wanted, with a touch of grace.
Old 23rd July 2024, 15:37   #1074
vij
BHPian

Seems 72% people in the CarDekho poll liked the name ROXX
https://www.cardekho.com/india-car-n...ults-32868.htm

Last edited by vij : 23rd July 2024 at 15:46.
vij is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 16:55   #1075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vij View Post
Seems 72% people in the CarDekho poll liked the name ROXX
Just goes to show one person’s food is another person’s poison. Everything has a place however weird an individual may find it through their own perspective. It surely teaches us about keeping an open mind.

I don’t like the name along with most members of our forum. Don’t think Mahindra cares as they are going to sell an insane amount of 5 door Thar’s. Their bank account will surely “Roxx”, oops I mean rock

A lot of people who would like a Thar and haven’t bought it so far (rhymes too ) is because it didn’t have 5 doors. A test drive of the 5 door Thar when available is surely on the cards for me.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 16:55   #1076

Re: Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskandariya View Post
I still feel it is a tease calling it Roxx. They could call it Armada eventually BTW did anyone run that number on vahan
Not sure if this is totally accurate (carinfo site) but it spit out saying it is a THAR LX D MT 2WD 4S HT.
Varun Ramesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 19:14   #1077
BHPian

It's a childish name, and was not expected. Thar carries a lot of cult value, a Marshal or Armada would have positioned it well, carried the weight/gravity of the Thar brand, also it would have been apt if in future they make a version for the armed forces.

Thar Armada sound like wolverine's car and Roxx sounds like Justin Bieber's car :P

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 24th July 2024 at 09:37. Reason: Typos
Asoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2024, 19:42   #1078
BHPian

Mahindra knows its target customer demographics well for this vehicle, hence the name has been perfectly tailored to meet the needs including the "XX"

Last edited by Bhodrolok : 23rd July 2024 at 19:42. Reason: added comment
Bhodrolok is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 07:49   #1079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
My pets have better names Tipsy and Sherry.
Off topic, but those two look cute <3
SithDefender is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 08:55   #1080
BHPian

Which 5 year old was in charge of the naming of this car?

I am pretty sure if they continue with this name despite the bad publicity, then removing any and every sign of it from the car's body and then putting "ARMADA" or "MARSHAL" on it instead will be the most popular mod for this car. Just like the 7 slat grille is the most popular mod for the 3 door thar.

ROXX sounds embarassing, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepdua View Post
I planning a world trip on a car and I have been originally considering a Toyota Hilux and or Toyota 4Runner but I can’t help but wonder if I should consider the 4-door Thar. Will love hear thoughts from you all.
Diesel thar is very reliable and is really capable off-road. Only issue will be parts availability in the off-chance that something goes wrong. That won't be a problem with the Hilux. But then again, you would be paying about double the price for the Hilux in the first place.

Last edited by SaiSW : 24th July 2024 at 09:06.
SaiSW is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks