Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2024, 19:51   #946
Senior - BHPian

Re: Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!

Looks as good as expected, a 4 door Thar!

Don't be deceived, although they look similar, the Thar is a much safer car than the Wrangler. Plus a nicer diesel drivetrain as well.

Although the Mahindra Thar does not have global sales, it still manages to sell roughly half the number of units as Jeep sells globally for its Wrangler models.

One can only imagine what would have transpired had the Thar been sold globally, as it's likely the Wrangler would have been relegated to the history books. Instead, thanks to existing restrictions, Mahindra's Thar remains confined to its domestic market, allowing Jeep to continue milking the brand.
shortbread is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 20:43   #947
BHPian

What do the design team smoke when they are at their job? Fable elders and children will have to literally launch themselves to reach the rear door handle.

And the rear thingy triangular quarter glass, the obnoxious C pillar, the Gypsy 4 doors posted above jells better.
Vinod_nair is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2024, 07:37   #948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullettuPaandi View Post
I think it looks weird to us because there's all sorts of shapes on this car and there's no cohesion in design; they served that with a grill on top that only says "Oh, we can be creative" and nothing more.
I respect your opinion, but I feel that's a bit harsh. For one, we really haven't seen the full car undisguised, to see how it all works together. We've just seen a few distorted pics and photoshop renders. I remember the Scorpio and the XUV pics that leaked before the launch, and how much better they ended up looking in the flesh, and in pics taken with proper cameras. I like the silhouette and I think it looks great overall.

Quote:
I for one, would compare even the UAZ I see in PUBG with the Wrangler, because the 'Jeep' design is so ubiquitous and doesn't really belong to the 'Jeep' brand.
I think it's safe to say that every Jeep like vehicle of that era has its roots in the original WW2 Bantam Jeep design. Only the Germans and Japanese did something really different with their VW-based type 62 Kubelwagen, and the Kurogane Type 95.

All of the Allied countries were provided with Jeeps, and there were multiple makers churning them out. Post-war, there was a huge surplus of these Jeeps, and countries that were emerging found them well suited for their geography, including us in India. Mahindra started out with licensed Jeeps after all, and it is part of their heritage, and also ours as a country.

Ergo, I think that Mahindra really had no option but to make a modern, better Thar, especially after the runaway success of Behramji's original Thar. It really was part of their DNA. But as a modern company, they also had to play fair and abide by the rules. So they couldn't make an outright copy of the Wrangler. But the demand for the Thar is something they can't ignore. So I think that at least in India, they will be making Jeep clones for a while. It's not that Mahindra can't make good designs, right? Look at their other products, which are also flying off the shelves.

Quote:
I also think that probably Mahindra had to combine roll-bar with the C-pillar, as they don't have enough width to work with as the Jeep (brand)- 1820mm vs 1931mm.
I don't think so. The 3 door Thar has a roll bar integrated into it as there is no C-pillar. You can see it in the soft-tops. In the 3 door, the rear seat width is limited mostly due to the rear wheel wells. In the 5 door, there is no 3rd row, and the 3nd row is well ahead of the wheel wells.

Quote:
I guess this just shows that we can't have good on-road dynamics, off-road capability AND a good-looking design, all in one package; at least not in an after-thought 5-door.
You know, there's the Scorpio-N that ticks all your boxes...

There will always be compromises when you're adding something to an existing design, just look what they've done to the Jimny. Still, IMO the Thar 5 door is a good design, because it has fewer compromises. The rear door isn't disproportionately small, for one.
vivekgk is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th July 2024, 08:04   #949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Looks as good as expected, a 4 door Thar!
I agree, I think it looks quite good. Maybe it was because my expectations were based on the actual camouflaged units that clearly showed a shorter rear door and overall silhouette. I didn't trust much on renders. I feel we can all wait a little bit more for the final unveil on Aug 15th.

Now, there are issues in design in almost every Mahindra car. So I was not expecting a very elegant look anyway. Besides, Mahindra's are meant to be customizable.

Do I like the garish grille - no.
Do I like the triangular rear glass - hell no.
Do I look like I give a damn ?

Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-frank.jpg
SithDefender is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th July 2024, 09:35   #950
Senior - BHPian

This looks good or at least good enough for me. Has infinite mod/customization potential. Will come with proven stellar engines. Solves almost all the problems of 3 door Thar but maintains all the butch appeal? Sign me up.
amol4184 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2024, 10:04   #951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsMedicine View Post
He has long lost his credibility as an automotive designer.
Attachment 2627295
Or he is still in love with his EX and working for the competition
OpenRoads is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2024, 10:18   #952
BHPian

Somehow my mind voice says “Enough already”.. Just showcase the real thing..

But I guess Mahindra knows these leaks also add up to the marketing - albeit free ..
sheelapratosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2024, 11:27   #953
BHPian

As an owner of the 3-Door Thar, this new design just reeks of compromise.

What was an unassumingly copied design (in the second gen - 3 door Thar) that tugged the strings of the heart has now been compromised to listen to the brain as well... guess some things were best left untouched.
Old 19th July 2024, 09:25   #954
Senior - BHPian

I see myself going in for a black Thar Armada to mask all these quirky, inconsistent design elements.
manveet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2024, 13:25   #955

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
Thanks, brother. Adding images.
For the folks working about the colour of D pillar, in the images from Rushlane, we can clearly see the blackened D pillar. Not sure why the Autocar rendering shows this as body coloured.
ramv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2024, 16:55   #956
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramv View Post
For the folks working about the colour of D pillar, in the images from Rushlane, we can clearly see the blackened D pillar. Not sure why the Autocar rendering shows this as body coloured.
Yes. Have posted the image after editing here:
Updated side view (Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!)
Knightrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2024, 19:20   #957
BHPian

This is from Autocar India and black color looks really good. I am certain that Gray and colors like Green (the one in ScorpioN and not XUV700), will look good too.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-screenshot-20240719-191757.jpg  

swunkjyn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2024, 08:19   #958
Distinguished - BHPian

The design contraption of the 5d Thar is due to Mahindra's sights in export markets like Australia.

Quote:
A styling update distancing the Indian 4WD from a Jeep Wrangler could re-open the door for the Mahindra Thar in Australia.
Quote:
Executives did admit Mahindra was "working on a differently stylised car with a different value proposition, which is suitable for international markets," without naming it as a five-door Thar, or any other model.

Link:
Old 20th July 2024, 09:30   #959
BHPian

I don't think a sneak peek can be better than this:

(no affiliation/solicitation to source)
Old 20th July 2024, 10:54   #960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
I don't think a sneak peek can be better than this:

https://Youtube.com/watch?v=I9c6J4Cv..._LRdb5L9adIi5L

(no affiliation/solicitation to source)
This one provides a detailed look at virtually production-ready interiors, exteriors, and triangular back glass. This is a 5-month-old video posted before on this thread.

varunswnt is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks