Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2024, 20:22   #931
BHPian

Re: Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!

Seeing these pictures very first time now on team-bhp. While I didn't like few elements, overall it appears like a dream car to me. I've recollected how we bashed XUV700's initial pictures in the golden color. But once it was revealed, everyone forgot the design and went crazy to buy the car. The initial hype happened and continued till even today, may be because of specs or price or overall stance of the car. I'm not saying this design is good, but generally most people hardly care about quarter panel shape or rear quarter glass shape or grill design. For the love of god, people complain about Tata cars' panel gaps but still Punch is the most selling car!

I've a strong feeling that this car will do amazingly well if priced sensibly. All the best Mahindra.

Last edited by ramki.grandhi : 15th July 2024 at 20:23.
ramki.grandhi is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 00:25   #932
BHPian

Pro:
- I won't have to change the grill and lights. Looks wonderful.
- C Pillar Design is non wrangerlish.
- Grab handles on A and B pillars.
- 360 Camera.

Cons:
- Asymmetrical Fenders that were sold as Thar design elements are now gone.
- New alloys design don't look SUVish.

Excited about seeing this beast in person soon.
vellatechie is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 09:01   #933
BHPian

Why do I feel like someone from DC designs has snuck into Mahindra.

First the 3xo, and now this. (Though I must say, its only the triangular rear quarter glass than turns me off. Its like they lost all motivation after the point where the rear door handle starts and then were just like..yeah whatever )
ZenMaster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 10:02   #934
BHPian

In my opinion the 5-door Thar was designed not by the designers, but by the lawyers and the accountants. The lawyers for things like the obvious "don't get sued by Jeep", and the accountants for "lets save some money by re-using the front doors" kind of things.

Here's a common scenario:
Dad and mom do 3 months of research, analysis and test-drives and decide to buy a Creta. On the day they go to make the booking, they ask their 8 year old son "Beta, between silver and white, which color car do you want?".

The "designers" of the Thar are the 8 year old son in the above example .
lordrayden is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 10:15   #935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellatechie View Post
Pro:
- I won't have to change the grill and lights. Looks wonderful.
- C Pillar Design is non wrangerlish.
- Grab handles on A and B pillars.
- 360 Camera.
I would like to add one more point to the Pros list
- Sleek looking Height Adjustable seatbelts

All these Pros are what Scorpio-N should have got from 1st day. I feel Mahindra has deliberately under specced Scorpio-N to give an advantage to XUV7OO. After the Thar Armada launch, I think Scorpio-N sales will be most impacted. Scorpio-N has bad unusable 3rd-row bench seats, Thar Armada will have the same flaw. So, it is better to buy Thar Armada over Scorpio-N as one can even have a bonus in Panoramic Sunroof.
varunswnt is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 11:05   #936
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
If I was a Wrangler owner, I won't feel bad with such imitation. This is more chineese than the otherwise matured 3 Door Thar.
+ 100
I owned Thar MT for 20,000 kms, used Thar AT for a few thousand kms and using Wrangler since last 3 months.
Both these vehicles are just world apart, be it interior, exterior, engine, GB or anything. Everything in Wrangler is outcome of a thoughtful approach as they didn't have pressure to copy another vehicle
Whereas in Thar, looks like mandate was given to copy wrangler curtailing designer's creativity. That rear window is as ugly as it can get, lets see how this vehicles looks in reality.
Shubhendra is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 11:09   #937

After looking at the picture the first thing comes in mind “Is this what we were waiting for”. May be it’s too early will wait for 15th Aug all questions will be answered.
Old 16th July 2024, 12:23   #938
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
I don't think ACI have updated the design changes observed in new spy shots.

I tried a hand at editing their image to add quirky design step above second door frame, blacked out D pillar, body-colored rear door handle and black roof merging into the rear quarter glass. I feel this is how it would look from sides:

Attachment 2627468
Great. The subtle mods makes it feel like a Thar with a rally cabin. After seeing this, the regular square shape of the Wrangler C pillar looks uncool.

The body coloured rear door handle reminds me of another namesake. The 1st gen Pathfinder Armada.
DicKy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 13:31   #939
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Great. The subtle mods makes it feel like a Thar with a rally cabin. After seeing this, the regular square shape of the Wrangler C pillar looks uncool.

The body coloured rear door handle reminds me of another namesake. The 1st gen Pathfinder Armada.
Yes. Depending on how it looks from the side, this could add a quirky distinct character to the car.

I like the front Grill. The DRL and the grill adds a modern touch to the classic design.

Not sure about the triangular glass at the back, hope it blends well.
Old 16th July 2024, 14:09   #940
BHPian

It is surprising the vehicle is getting so much hate on this platform with just 2 odd oriented pictures out. We had similar conversation when first click of XUV700 was posted. To me even with some quirky elements, Mahindra vehicles look more car like unlike Tata, Hyundai, MG whose design language is mimicking mobile or robots. There will be limitation on design and symmetry if 4D has to be based on SN chassis and still retain the shape of 2D Thar. A groundup vehicle will ofcourse be better designed but the product development cost would have taken it beyond 700 and a price point where it would have been neither a value for money Thar nor an aspirational Wrangler, we all know fate of alturas, a wonderful vehicle but people don't spend that much money on a Mahindra. While people are saying otherwise I expect a lot of existing 2D owners switching to 4D once it is launched. Seems like I am the only person who does not give a damn to how the front grille or quarter glass look, I am drooling over the great set of convenience, comfort and safety features on a very capable off road vehicle which can be the only vehicle in one's garage that can carry ageing parents on highways with comfort as well take me to off road destinations without a fuss ��
Bluebird_7 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 14:34   #941
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

2-door Thar is mod friendly. I expect 4-door to be on the same lines and there could be lot of accessories available once launched. I see very few 2-door Thar on the road that run on stock looks.

The front grille can be easily replaced with better ones. The accessories shop might already be getting ready with new designs based on these 2 leaked photos.

I hope that Mahindra has taken lessons from 2-door Thar and provided safety for front radiator and rear DEF tank as these parts were taking hits during approach or departures when off-roading.

As a person who travels with family, I look out for
1) Interior ergonomics
2) Cubby holes to keep knick-knacks
3) Space in each door to be capable to hold at least one 1-liter bottle
4) 2nd row with bench seat
5) Enough boot space to hold 2 cabin sized suitcase and 1 large suitcase
If Mahindra provides 2, 3 and 4 on the 4-door Thar, then it will be easier for me to convince and lure my family to consider 4-door. Of course, if they don't like it still, then take a test drive of the Scorpio-N immediately
kgt.v8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 16:55   #942
BHPian

LOVE this!!

I hear all the criticism and I am reminded of both the XUV 700 and Scorpio N when their first photos came out.

MnM has another winner on their hands. As an owner of a three door, I will be sorely tempted to get this in another couple of years.
Kapany is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 17:01   #943
BHPian

Looking at all the response, it feels like I’m reading the to be launched XUV7OO forum when the initial images leaked. If history repeats, Mahindra has a looker on their hands. And if you have to compare lookalikes there are so many examples of the JIMNY made to look like a G-Wagon with VERY minimal mods. So I don’t see any problem with this.
SNOWY227 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 18:47   #944
BHPian

For the price point that Mahindra offers a few quirks and corners are acceptable. I mean Wrangler is a different bracket all together and should not be compared to a product designed for a more 'bang for buck' looking customer in India. We may keep nitpicking on panel gaps and desirable curves, but if the product is good value for money, there is nothing a few wraps and claddings can't cover-up! So it is Cheers to Mahindra for trying to meet the customer demand for a easier rear access!
And I can even see a lot of Hummer wannabe mods coming from this!
Freespirit27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 19:33   #945
BHPian

I have been thinking for few days whether to put this in writing or to simply ignore. But, as an automobile enthusiastic, I could not stop doing this.

I just couldn't believe my eyes on this worst design from Mahindra. Another great opportunity wasted by cheap tactics. Somehow, my gut feel is that Anand Mahindra is playing the spoil sport here. The front, last quarter, rear door are all out of places. It clearly shows, there were no healthy thought processes shown enough to come with a good original design, functionality coupled with a robust product. I can not believe an Automobile Design Engineer will come up with these design choices at all. Designers always try to be original IMHO. They will never risk their career and reputation by copying, rather they will do a less elegant but original design.

Why they have to copy so much still from an existing product while they had all the time, cash (Thar sales) and (4 years plus from the launch of 2 door) design capability to come up with a fresh look at an rugged commuter + off roader.

It is a shame that a company this size, still continue to choose the path of copying that too blatantly from such a known source even though they have learnt lots of hard lessons with their 2 door version. I can excuse the deliberate copy of two door design but not this design after knowing there is a legal suit waiting eagerly, thus loosing a big opportunity to launch this internationally along with the Scorpio and 7OO. Worst part is, the design looks so awful that now I can digest the BAIC BJ40 and this this but not the Thar 4 door.

Even in their copying process, they are not able to do a proper job. What I see is a pathetic amateur photoshop skills at the best. Now, I know for sure, there is going to be a lots of (non-) ergonomic galore inside plus those reliability issues (at least for the next two years) plus awful ride quality. So, then, what kind of product management is this? Why you want to copy and how much you have saved vs how much integrity and reputation you lost in this process? I do have their stocks and they are doing good but, I really wish Mahindra continue to do what they did with the other two SUVs - rugged, original and affordable SUVs for Indians not copy cats. I do not feel proud at all with this attitude copying someone's research and hard work again and again.

Last edited by sgmuser : 16th July 2024 at 19:35. Reason: typo
sgmuser is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks