Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2024, 19:10   #841
BHPian

Re: Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!

Production has begun for Thar Armada!
https://news.google.com/articles/CBM...N&ceid=IN%3Aen

Last edited by highwaypatrol : 28th June 2024 at 19:13.
highwaypatrol is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 29th June 2024, 19:05   #842
BHPian

I wonder if the same state of tune will be retained or the 185/200 hp tune will be introduced in the engines.Being a family size hauler with 130/150 hp will make the Armada less attractive for auto enthusiasts considering its hefty weight.
TheManualGear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2024, 19:19   #843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
When it comes to the functionality, there is day and night difference between Blind spot monitoring and Blind view monitoring. The former utilizes 2 sets of radar modules for the function to work and it’s active all the time. The same set of radar modules used for Rear cross traffic alert as well. Since Mahindra doesn’t use rear radar modules, XUV700 doesn’t have Rear cross traffic alert. Blind View monitoring just use the ORVM camera feed to instrument cluster which is only available when you turn on the indicator.

I would say we live in a country where all detergent is universally called as "Surf", all vegetable oil is called as "Dalda" and all mopeds used to be called as "Luna" so it is easy to fool the public !!!

https://Youtu.be/osoNwE_3zSU?si=B16K1v3C_ZYuETYp

https://Youtu.be/qtFxL89lrKw?si=EybUts3RRK7pamlF

Very interesting. I had no idea that the XUV700 didn’t have rear radars nor blind spot monitors. I was definitely fooled by their marketing.
Cresterk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2024, 20:51   #844
BHPian

Panoramic sunroof is nice. Too bad they didn’t offer it with the ScorpioN.
Old 30th June 2024, 04:59   #845
BHPian

Please take this with a grain of salt, as this is based on what my friend told me after his recent trip to Leh-Ladakh. He saw the Mahindra Thar being tested in person, but the people from Mahindra requested no photos or videos be taken. Here are the points he shared:
  • Thar Armada is bigger and wider.
  • Engine will be more powerful than the current Thar 3-door.
  • Boot is larger, and the head unit is bigger and crisper.
  • Steering resembles that of the Scorpio N, and the odometer is digital.
  • There will be options for a full sunroof, half sunroof, and metal plus fiber roofs.
  • Multiple variants will be available, similar to the XUV and Scorpio with Zxx and Axx types.
  • The top variant is expected to be around 22.99, though this is not confirmed yet.

One thing he kept repeating and this sounded funny to me - Yaar bahut badi aur chaudi gaadi hai bhai (meaning that its a big and wide car).
swunkjyn is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 30th June 2024, 07:47   #846
BHPian

This looks amazing, I wonder if Mahindra is going to offer it in 2wd + diesel automatic, it can definitely be a crowd puller. While we can argue that Scorpio N and Xuv700 are meant for that purpose, I personally know many people love the Thar's look but they back off because of 2 door config and unnecessary 4wd hardware.

And yes, this variant might eat into Scorpio N' and Xuv700' sales but it will have an unique proposition in the market, will wipe out some competitors. Also, hope they offer 6 airbags as standard in all variants.

Last edited by ramki.grandhi : 30th June 2024 at 07:48.
Old 30th June 2024, 07:47   #847
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone read anywhere about the 1.5 litre diesel being paired with a torque converter?
Old 30th June 2024, 09:39   #848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
Has anyone read anywhere about the 1.5 litre diesel being paired with a torque converter?
Is the 1.5 confirmed for the Armada? I thought that the Thar RWD came with a 1.5 because of the 4m rule, so that they could offer a low entry price. With the Armada, the 4m rule doesn't apply and there's no rationale for a 1.5, especially considering that it is heavier as well.

Unless of course, they are planning to offer it as a Sarkaari Gaadi as well. In such a case, 1.5 + MT would be adequate.

For personal use, I think that there's no sense in a 1.5 MT Armada, but I hope there's a 2.2 diesel AT RWD variant.

That said, it would be great if they could pair the 1.5 diesel with the 6AT because it would be a great combo for the 3XO as well as the Thar.
vivekgk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2024, 09:47   #849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swunkjyn View Post
[*]Thar Armada is bigger and wider.[*]Engine will be more powerful than the current Thar 3-door.[*]Boot is larger, and the head unit is bigger and crisper.[*]Steering resembles that of the Scorpio N, and the odometer is digital.[*]There will be options for a full sunroof, half sunroof, and metal plus fiber roofs.
Excellent news! Honestly, there's just a month and a half to go ahead, and I'm getting impatient already. It's good they made it wider since it will now (likely) have a more proportionate look. The Scorpio-N looks taller than it is wider, which adds to the body roll. The XUV700 has much more balanced dimensions.

The engine definitely needs to be more powerful than the 3-door, but then that will reduce the petrol mileage even more. It's already at single digits if I am not mistaken. Mahindra could introduce a hybrid system to offset this dilemma, perhaps in the future.

What is a "full sunroof" and "half sunroof"? I thought the latter means the driver-only sunroof like we see in the Elevate. And there were rumours that there would be a similar one for the rear passengers (like two separate sunroofs). He doesn't mean a panoramic sunroof right ?

Aug 15th is so near, yet so far !!!
SithDefender is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2024, 10:17   #850
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
Is the 1.5 confirmed for the Armada?
ACI report does mention 1.5 for the entry level variants.

A Torque Converter for the 1.5 diesel is money worth spending. If paired with the Thar 3/5 door, the 3XO and even in Bolero, Bolero Neo, it's going to pull in many many more customers.
ashutoshb is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2024, 11:42   #851

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
Owning a XUV300 diesel, I always wondered why Mahindra does not offer TC with 1.5 Diesel engine. The sole reason for not picking up the AT was because it was AMT. Even though I bought the W6, I would have happily spent 1.5L more for the torque converter AT.
TORQUEINDUCTION is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2024, 12:11   #852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUEINDUCTION View Post
Owning a XUV300 diesel, I always wondered why Mahindra does not offer TC with 1.5 Diesel engine. The sole reason for not picking up the AT was because it was AMT. Even though I bought the W6, I would have happily spent 1.5L more for the torque converter AT.
This 1.5L diesel is the same one developed for and plugged in Marazzo? I can understand that its not worth investing into an AT for Marazzo byt if its being used in other cars then why not? Wonder if there is the technical challenge that makes it not worth the ROI.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 30th June 2024 at 12:12.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2024, 12:56   #853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SithDefender View Post
What is a "full sunroof" and "half sunroof"? I thought the latter means the driver-only sunroof like we see in the Elevate. And there were rumours that there would be a similar one for the rear passengers (like two separate sunroofs). He doesn't mean a panoramic sunroof right ?
A few observations from a brief observation of the car from a distance.

The sunroof did not appear to be a panoramic one. It was smaller and mostly above the rear passenger seat.

It will definitely be positioned as an upmarket, luxury adventure offering with pricing north of the scorpio N. But even then it wouldnt be overpriced as it felt much more premium with beige interiors with a XUV700 like wide screen infotainment screen, lots of space for 5, NVH that was nothing like the 3 door Thar. We ll have to wait for the internals but looking at the way it accelerated and kept going in the 180kmph bank at the MSPT, it's going to be capable and well behaved on the road.

And as far as I gathered it will come with advanced 4x4 aids such as the land cruiser like crawl control making it even more capable off road than the 3 door Thar.

Overall it looks like an another winner from Mahindra. Fingers crossed and a lot to look forward to. If someone is considering the XUV or Scorpio N and dont need 7 seats, it may be worth waiting a bit to check out the Thar 5 door.

Last edited by clementj : 30th June 2024 at 13:06.
clementj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2024, 13:12   #854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SithDefender View Post
What is a "full sunroof" and "half sunroof"?

Aug 15th is so near, yet so far !!!
Full sunroof = Panoramic Sunroof, Half sunroof = Normal sunroof. But that is good news, since customers will get an option to have plain roof/sunroof/panoramic sunroof.

Thar 5-Door aka Armada will most probably break the record of Scorpio N. Maybe a lakh bookings in 10 minutes of which half will be all the content creators, vloggers etc
Old 30th June 2024, 13:15   #855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clementj View Post
The sunroof did not appear to be a panoramic one. It was smaller and mostly above the rear passenger seat.

If someone is considering the XUV or Scorpio N and dont need 7 seats, it may be worth waiting a bit to check out the Thar 5 door.
Ok I found the info here :
https://www.team-bhp.com/news/mahind...l-pane-sunroof

Overall, this is looking good, very good :

Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-imgood.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks