Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2024, 10:29   #616
BHPian

re: Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Keep in mind though that the Scorpio N is intentionally designed that way for better stability at higher speed.
The ground clearance and angles are less than some of the compact SUVs of today which are essentially just cars for road driving capable of going good speeds. Considering the width and wheelbase of Scorpio N, i do not think it would have compromised stability had it been engineered better towards off-road ability. Fortuner a much bigger vehicle can pull through both high speed stability and off road ability. And if it is not meant for off roading, why bother with low gear transfer case and MLD. In that sense XUV700 AWD can provide that option for slippery/icy patches. There are multiple videos where this shortcoming is highlighted by owners including Anshuman and other genuine YT vloggers. I am not saying that it is a bad vehicle but it is does not fulfill the purpose it promises
Bluebird_7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 15:17   #617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
There is nothing much in the face that can be lifted! The Thar's exterior is a 90% copy of the Jeep Wrangler and that car has not changed much about its front fascia in 3 decades!
I was referring to the cosmetic updates like LED headlamps, new steering wheel, new Infotainment systems etc. Probably a better tune for the diesel engine (for top variants) too just like the entry level XUV700 variants (153bhp/360Nm)

Last edited by Axe77 : 1st February 2024 at 05:05.
Old 31st January 2024, 18:39   #618
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra Thar 5 door features revealed.

Name:  20240131055220_Thar 5 door Features Web_11.png
Views: 734
Size:  300.0 KB

Quote:
Thar 5-door to get six airbags
Expected to get 4WD and 2WD options
Will share powertrains with the Scorpio N

Last edited by volkman10 : 31st January 2024 at 18:40.
volkman10 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 19:56   #619
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird_7 View Post
The ground clearance and angles are less than some of the compact SUVs of today which are essentially just cars for road driving capable of going good speeds. Considering the width and wheelbase of Scorpio N, i do not think it would have compromised stability had it been engineered better towards off-road ability.
Forget all the numbers on paper, an old Jeep will have less ground clearance than new hatchbacks, does not mean anything really.

There are many ways to make a BOF offroad capable utility vehicle. Jimny is one way to do it and Scorpio is another way to do it. At the end of the day it should suit the fellow who buys it for a reason.

Use the N for some time, you`ll appreciate why it is made the way it is. If you are going to spend a lot of time behind the wheel - this is the answer, its easier than a hatchback to drive, point and shoot, on road or off the road.
Kosfactor is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 20:10   #620
BHPian

I can spot watt's-link type suspension on the rear axle of this Thar, whereas earlier spy shots don't have them. Rear disc brakes and Watt's link are biggest mechanical update over earlier prototypes. I guess we might also see FSD shock absorbers carried over from Scorpio-N.

Earlier spy shot image link

New spy shot
Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-capture.png

Last edited by varunswnt : 31st January 2024 at 20:14.
varunswnt is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 20:10   #621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Forget all the numbers on paper, an old Jeep will have less ground clearance than new hatchbacks, does not mean anything really.
I am not even getting into numbers, just see the videos where genuine owners tried off roading with Scorpio N, the limitations are clearly visible.Not going into point to point discussion but old jeeps had nearly nil front and back overhangs and very short wheelbase, same with Jimmy, compare that to N and you know the limitations. Once again I am not questioning the vehicle but it's usability as a 4wd vehicle. If mile munching, comfort is priority there are many good options including XUV700.
Old 1st February 2024, 00:34   #622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird_7 View Post
I am not even getting into numbers, just see the videos where genuine owners tried off roading with Scorpio N, the limitations are clearly visible.Not going into point to point discussion but old jeeps had nearly nil front and back overhangs and very short wheelbase, same with Jimmy, compare that to N and you know the limitations. Once again I am not questioning the vehicle but it's usability as a 4wd vehicle. If mile munching, comfort is priority there are many good options including XUV700.
I think you are grossly underestimating the Scorpio-N. Not all off-road scenarios need to be rock crawling adventures. A Scorpio-N has comfortably made it's way to Phalut (beyond Sandakphu), which is testament to it's 4x4 capabilities. They have managed to cover most bases of an adventure tourer.

Going back to the Thar, it'll be interesting to see how Mahindra position it as they have introduced certain features that aren't even available in the Scorpio-N. In addition the potential move to a more "civilised" suspension setup alongwith longer wheelbase might also result in a reduction of the outright trail mindedness of the Thar.
ask99 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 01:32   #623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask99 View Post
I think you are grossly underestimating the Scorpio-N. Not all off-road scenarios need to be rock crawling adventures. A Scorpio-N has comfortably made it's way to Phalut (beyond Sandakphu), which is testament to it's 4x4 capabilities.
Some T Bhp members have done Sandakphu in AWD Duster and Yeti so it's not a must have part time 4wd track. Just watch AB ventures video where he in his N along with his friends' Jimny did some curb testing, it's not a rock crawling exercise but a very practical situation where you expect your 4X4 to go through and not loose bumper locks. Quoting just one such reference, there are many other such instances.
Bluebird_7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 04:49   #624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Mahindra Thar 5 door features revealed.

Attachment 2567365
This looks very desirable.

The Scorpio N is a superb Grand Tourer for family and friends with the capability to get out of most situations with its powerful 4x4.

The 3 Door Short Wheelbase Thar is a superb adventure toy and suddenly over the last 4 years has opened up the horizons and the unknown for many folks!

The Thar 5 Door will be a very good mix between the above two - with the ruggedly handsome Jeepy Looks, the mile munching ability for Grand Touring for family and friends and the immense capability of fearless go-anywhere.

The entire functional and practical lifestyle SUV market has been more or less sewn up by the Mahindra range. And much luck to them!

Honestly why on earth would anyone bother with a Fortuner when the Scorpio N does all of the same things at a cheaper price and in a more comfortable manner?

And why ever would anyone in India now bother with a Jeep Wrangler any more when a solid capable functional and good looking Mahindra alternative is there?

Last edited by shankar.balan : 1st February 2024 at 04:50.
shankar.balan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 10:41   #625
BHPian

I was looking at the video shared above. Either Mahindra is planning a 4x4 and RWD version or this may only come in RWD version. The screen grab from the video posted above has the 4x4 selector missing. Could it be possible that Mahindra is opting for a rotary dial based selector?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-img_6790.jpeg  

Tiago_Boy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 10:48   #626
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They seem to have addressed almost all major gaps in the current 3 Door Thar top end model:
Also add grab handles in the front A pillar. And looking at the pics, the 5 door Thar also gets height adjustable front seatbelts, at least by the look of it. Far better than the 90s style seatbelt of the ScorpioN.

Also I just love the Skoda like push button start in the steering column. Feels so ergonomic and natural compared to the button placed randomly on the dashboard. Maybe cost cutting, but I see it as a practical design.

Quote:
M&M may launch at a later point, a lower powered RWD variant at cheaper price, and aftermarket operators will definitely fit side-facing seats in the trunk, taking back share in the old Bolero style people mover category.
Most of the test mules have a cubbyhole where the 4X4 gearlever is. Have they changed the lever to some button or scroller or knob or are they just the RWD version?

Anyway, don't think this would end up in people mover segment. Before these would become affordable enough in the used market, Mahindra will launch a whole new family of Bolero models that would meet those market demands.
DicKy is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 10:55   #627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago_Boy View Post
I was looking at the video shared above. Either Mahindra is planning a 4x4 and RWD version or this may only come in RWD version. The screen grab from the video posted above has the 4x4 selector missing. Could it be possible that Mahindra is opting for a rotary dial based selector?
Since it is based on the Scorpio N platform, maybe its a possibility that only the diesel gets 4x4? The other possibility is a round selector for 4x4 but I dont see that in any pics.
Dippy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 11:48   #628
BHPian

From an close source - the 5DR will only be offered in the 4WD version & there will be no 2WD version in 5DR.

If thats the case - it's a little disheartening especially for people like me. I am really looking forward to the 2WD in 5DR
FIAT3031 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 12:08   #629
BHPian

If they have moved the rotary dial 4wd knob from center console to somewhere else near the driver side then god bless them. It was a foolish decision to place the knob on the center console in Scorpio N. Even a minor touch accidentally used to engage the 4wd on the move.
Dodge_Viper is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2024, 12:30   #630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIAT3031 View Post
From an close source - the 5DR will only be offered in the 4WD version & there will be no 2WD version in 5DR.

If thats the case - it's a little disheartening especially for people like me. I am really looking forward to the 2WD in 5DR
It is just a matter of time. Mahindra knows better than anyone that it is the Jeepy form factor that sells and not the functionality of 4x4.

If one goes back into their own history they have always sold many more 2WD variants than 4WD ones.

And Im talking about the earlier days 1980’s,90’s,00’s,10’s and they even have their recent successes with the RWD 3 door to refer to.

My surmise is that they will launch with all the fanfare relating to go anywhere anytime with family and friends, so as to create all possible heavy hype and secure tons of bookings, but very very soon afterwards they will cleanly introduce the 2WD version as well as mop up many more bookings.

It looks as though the Indian Consumer at the present moment is least worried about price of new cars and waiting period(s). The wheels of consumerism seem to keep on turning irrespective of all these factors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Also add grab handles in the front A pillar. And looking at the pics, the 5 door Thar also gets height adjustable front seatbelts, at least by the look of it. Far better than the 90s style seatbelt of the ScorpioN.
I hope they add grab handles in the A and B Pillars both and Bonnet support Struts like many of us have fitted in our 3 door Thars from the aftermarket.
I also hope they find a way to include the rear washer wiper because that is absolutely essential in a vehicle with a slab-like rear. EDIT: I believe from that video that they have indeed done the latter.

Last edited by graaja : 1st February 2024 at 13:10. Reason: Mefging back to back posts
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks