Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2024, 16:25   #556
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
WRONGLERS.
I certainly am.
Brilliant coinage "Wrongler"
master uio is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 18:16   #557
BHPian

Does this company have no intention of launching this car? It feels like they have been testing this car since the Jurassic age.
SaiSW is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 22:33   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
Does this company have no intention of launching this car? It feels like they have been testing this car since the Jurassic age.
For God sake let them come with a niggle free product once. Even if this comes after a year still it's ok. But better be without any issues. It's so shameful these niggles are more with Indian companies. There is no urgency for 5 door Thar and market has enough 5 door SUVs on the market. The only difference is that BoF and abuse friendly. Rest of all the requirements are met by various manufacturers. Anand Mahindra better wake up and do something about customer service and quality asap.
sgmuser is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 11:31   #559
BHPian

Quote:
True, this was a little similar case with the Jimny since its production started in India back in 2018 time. Everybody waited for it and when it came no one wanted it Hope this won't be the case with Thar 5 door anyway. I only wish them to price it competitively, rather than putting it close to Scorpio and 700 margin.

I used to click the pics with the test mules on highways months/years back. Now really got bored also seeing one. Wish it comes a niggle free product after years and years of testing.
thebikemaster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 12:24   #560
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now that Republic Day has almost gone by, they will have to wait for Independence Day or Gandhi Jayanthi. Mahindra does not launch new cars on days that don't evoke the nationalistic fervor.
84.monsoon is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 12:38   #561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebikemaster View Post
True, this was a little similar case with the Jimny since its production started in India back in 2018 time. Everybody waited for it and when it came no one wanted it Hope this won't be the case with Thar 5 door anyway.
Pricing will be the key. They will need to offer the thar across a spectrum of variants.
The lower variants will need to be priced super competitive for this to be widely purchased.
The premium variant will be closer to the ScorpioN premium variant pricing for sure.

Also another aspect that M&M needs to factor is the 5 door variant's suitability for cruising on highways at upto max 120 kmph with good stability and comfort levels. High speed stability and comfort has to match ScorpioN levels atleast. This will be a challenge with those huge wheels and higher ground clearance.

Also this variant being significantly heavier than the 3 door version will have proportionally lower FE as well. This will also be one of the factors that will drive sustained sales numbers.
Old 17th January 2024, 14:39   #562
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Pricing will be the key. They will need to offer the thar across a spectrum of variants.
The lower variants will need to be priced super competitive for this to be widely purchased.
The premium variant will be closer to the ScorpioN premium variant pricing for sure.

Also another aspect that M&M needs to factor is the 5 door variant's suitability for cruising on highways at upto max 120 kmph with good stability and comfort levels. High speed stability and comfort has to match ScorpioN levels atleast. This will be a challenge with those huge wheels and higher ground clearance.
True. Hope they don't get too carried away on price front, buoyed by 2-door Thar's success. Price it too high and our folks just walk away. Case in point, Jimny. People even shunned mighty Wrangler. The base variants are just click-baits. Too plain vanilla to buy. Anyone walking into showroom will find himself staring at one or two-up variant at 25 to 30% mark-up.

As for high speed drive, Mahindra engines write out cheques their suspension and chassis struggle to cash out. That said, 5-dr Thar should match ScorpioN given the long wheel-base. Too bad, Mahindra doesn't have sedans for those peppy turbo diesel/petrol engines to go into.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2024, 09:50   #563
BHPian

Any chance it will come out with the soft top as well ?
gb97ce6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2024, 10:47   #564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lol! I can vouch that Mahindra is rigorously testing the Thar 5D. I travel regularly between Vellore & Chengalpet. Saw 5 different test mules last Monday morning between 5-7 am on my drive back from Chengalpet! That was more than the number of regular Thars I saw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb97ce6 View Post
Any chance it will come out with the soft top as well ?
Extremely unlikely.
Geo_Ipe is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2024, 12:27   #565

Does the advent of the 4 door Thar mean that the existing 2 door one be discontinued? If not discontinued, will the 2 door Thar get a face-lift since it would be almost 4 years since its launch?
Old 19th January 2024, 00:55   #566
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Considering the demand and waiting period for the 700, Scorpio-N and the 3 door Thar M&M can take all the sweet time they need as they are in no hurry and the market has enough alternatives even within the Mahindra stable itself, this one is purely for those who need only a Thar and it has to be a five door or in every way a desi ‘Wrongler’ replica.
Nice that they decided to revive the ‘Armada’ name tag for this instead of adding some digits with zeroes at the end like they normally do.

Last edited by VwRabbit : 19th January 2024 at 00:57.
VwRabbit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2024, 13:45   #567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VwRabbit View Post
Considering the demand and waiting period for the 700, Scorpio-N and the 3 door Thar M&M can take all the sweet time they need as they are in no hurry and the market do.
I feel how much ever they price or whenever they launch, there is market for Thar just for looks and people will keep booking.

Curious why are we calling it Wrongler, apart from a near try to make Jeep Wrangler?
Old 19th January 2024, 14:19   #568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthang View Post
I feel how much ever they price or whenever they launch, there is market for Thar just for looks and people will keep booking.

Curious why are we calling it Wrongler, apart from a near try to make Jeep Wrangler?
I’m the culprit here. I call my Thar the WRONGLER because it is a photocopy of the Jeep Wrangler even though the company doesn't admit it. But anyone with two eyes can see this.
Mahindra has indeed had a long history of making Jeeps - since 1947 in fact.

But the owners of the Jeep brand revoked Mahindra’s License to use the Jeep trade mark and with it, the 7 slot grille design etc some time in the late 1990’s or early 2000’s.

Despite all that, they’ve made the 2020 Thar as a clear photocopy of the Wrangler Willys 2 Door and FCA/ Stellantis the owner of the Jeep trade mark have prevented Mahindra from selling the Thar anywhere other than in India. And this is why I decided to call my Thar my WRONGLER. The name sticks.

I actually wonder why none of our famous Auto Journalists have ever done a direct head to head comparo of the Jeep Wrangler with the Thar. Who knows, we may all (other than Jeep themselves) be pleasantly surprised at the result because it is my firm belief that the Thar does maybe 75% of what the Wrangler can, at 25% of the price.

Last edited by Axe77 : 19th January 2024 at 17:42. Reason: Minor para spacing edit.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2024, 17:14   #569
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I actually wonder why none of our famous Auto Journalists have ever done a direct head to head comparo of the Jeep Wrangler with the Thar. Who knows, we may all (other than Jeep themselves) be pleasantly surprised at the result because it is my firm belief that the Thar does maybe 75% of what the Wrangler can, at 25% of the price.
Keeping in mind the 4 times price gap - If you take a Wrangler and make it more Indian road biased , I think you'll get a Thar

Anyhow the journalists will arrive at some sort of conclusion wherein it would be neither here nor there, just parking them next to each other will have the audience draw the conclusion that Thar is a Wrangler at 1/4 the price without as many things to lose. A bonus is the looks, to my Indian eyes - Thar looks like it's a player.

Will a 4 door Thar have the same X appeal? I'm not so sure but having seen it up close ,the sheer size of it makes it substantial on the road , I think that alone would be worth the money for a lot of people.

If they add some of the creature comforts along with this size, width and height increase - there is much to be gained because Creta is now ~ 25L.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2024, 18:09   #570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Anyhow the journalists will arrive at some sort of conclusion udience draw the conclusion that Thar is a Wrangler at 1/4 the price without as many things to lose. A bonus is the looks, to my Indian eyes - Thar looks like it's a player.

Will a 4 door Thar have the same X appeal?

If they add some of the creature comforts along with this size, width and height increase - there is much to be gained because Creta is now ~ 25L.
1. Indeed to most of us who like the look of the Wrangler , the WRONGLER is also bound to appeal based on its ’Looks’ alone. In my case Ive grown up around Jeeps and even my Dad recently remarked that Ive been Jeep mad since age O.

1 A. Regarding the Journalists I think none of them want to go out on a limb by comparing the Thar and Wrangler directly. Things may change when the 5 door Thar is launched and then of course it becomes a closer comparison. Saying this, I still think the vast majority of our Auto Journalists lack the guts to go out there and tell it like it is. Because of the inevitable jeopardy to their ‘positions’. So truth be told none of these auto journalists are truly truthful or impartial.

2. Of course 100% the 4 door Thar will be the ‘WRONGLER INCREDIBLE’ to the
Wrangler Unlimited’. It will absolutely indubitably have the same X appeal and cause grown men and greybeards to become excited teenagers again.

3. A neat segue onto the image based pricing concept. The Thar 5 door will definitely represent bigger bulk and will let loose the wannabe Indiana Jones in all of us. The innocuous middle-of-the-road family man will suddenly become the ‘cool adventurer’ of his private fantasies, when sitting behind the wheel of this new 5 door WRONGLER. So if they price one of the variants equivalent to a new Creta at 25 lacs there will be lots of takers. No doubts at all, because this, more than anything else, is THE comfy, family -friendly, Adventurous, Tough-Image, Go-Anywhere Grand- Tourer which large swathes of car buyers are just waiting to lap up! Going by the present form, it will simply fly off the shelves and will cause a backlog of orders leading to a wait list of 2 years and more.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 19th January 2024 at 18:21.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks