Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2023, 00:07   #451

re: Field trials of the 4-door Mahindra Thar begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtRao View Post
Having a 3-door Thar for almost 2 years I found it impractical at some points which I already knew before buying. The news of 5 door Thar in works make me excited - from then I am following the spyshots and information around it & also reading this thread since then. After having observed all the spied photos noticed many changes, I think almost all details are out now, some of them are shared on this platform and some i want to share in this comprehensive thread.
OMG! The depth of this analysis and the way it has put together, I would say Mahindra could use it for the launch of the 5-door Thar .
Salute to your dedication and hard work.
kartik_2502 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 09:09   #452
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
After having observed all the spied photos noticed many changes, I think almost all details are out now, some of them are shared on this platform and some i want to share in this comprehensive thread.
First post with a bang!!! The fact that the post has more likes (Thanks) than what most BHPians get after years is testament to how detailed it is.

Quote:
Rear wiper and washer are also present this time around.
About time. Great that the rear wiper/wash is there. Guess it was easier for Mahindra engineers to do so with the steel hardtop, unlike the 3 door Thar where it was possible but they couldn't bother maybe due to costs.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 09:18   #453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Having a 3-door Thar for almost 2 years I found it impractical at some points which I already knew before buying. The news of 5 door Thar in works make me excited - from then I am following the spyshots and information around it & also reading this thread since then. After having observed all the spied photos noticed many changes, I think almost all details are out now, some of them are shared on this platform and some i want to share in this comprehensive thread.
Fantastic and detailed analysis @GTRao Sir. This post will serve as an easy reference between the 3 door and 5 door for a long time to come.

Im glad to see that rear wiper and honestly that's the only thing I miss on my 3 door Thar. Will be watching closely to see if I can do the great Indian jugaad and retrofit the wiper from the 5 door onto mine.

And oh yes the remote fuel lid opener.

Last edited by Dippy : 10th October 2023 at 09:24.
Dippy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 13:14   #454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Im glad to see that rear wiper and honestly that's the only thing I miss on my 3 door Thar. Will be watching closely to see if I can do the great Indian jugaad and retrofit the wiper from the 5 door onto mine.
The 5 door version is expected to come in one piece rear door so housing the rear wiper and washer is easy in the single piece door.
The 3 door version with its 2 piece rear layout is a more difficult scenario to retrofit the rear wiper/washer.
for_cars1 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 19:11   #455

I am in immediate need of a car. I have booked the new Harrier facelift. However I my heart lies with Thar 5 door.

What are the probabilities of Thar 5 door being launched by Jan 2024?

I can wait for another 3-4 months if there is a real high possibility of it being launched by the Republic Day 2024.
Old 17th October 2023, 21:16   #456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeepakbaid View Post
I am in immediate need of a car. I have booked the new Harrier facelift. However I my heart lies with Thar 5 door.

What are the probabilities of Thar 5 door being launched by Jan 2024?

I can wait for another 3-4 months if there is a real high possibility of it being launched by the Republic Day 2024.
Be mindful that even if this is launched in Jan 2024 it doesn’t necessarily mean immediate bookings and deliveries as well.
Old 17th October 2023, 21:29   #457

Quote:
Be mindful that even if this is launched in Jan 2024 it doesn’t necessarily mean immediate bookings and deliveries as well.
I expect deliveries to happen in Feb 24 if it is launched in Jan 24.

But what are the probabilities of it being launched in Jan 24?
Old 18th October 2023, 08:37   #458

Quote:
Turn indicator, which was bulb based in current one is now also integrated to single DRL strip, which also doubles up as indicator similar to aftermarket ones.
In continuation of this earlier post :

There is round drl in the headlights, the fender single strip will function just for indicator not for drl in top end trims
Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-20231018_061127.jpg

Quote:
This is the most confusing one as most of the spy pics show rear drum brakes but in three of the cars it seems they have rear disc brakes. Have no idea what Mahindra is planning, but it seems rear discs will be limited to top variants & drums to the lower ones.
The rear disc brakes are now confirmed in these more clear images. It is yet to be seen if Mahindra will restrict them to top-end trims or maybe for 4x4 variants as rear drums are also spied in many test cars also
Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-20231018_061808.jpg
Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-20231018_061901.jpg

Quote:
The rear light may look similar but they have also changed now. The current one has some moulds and dotted LEDs, which could be observed from very close. The new lights have diffused LED and seems a bit slimmer. In the centre of the light there are 3 division with LED indicator in between, brake lamp on top & reverse light at the bottom section, which are also expected to be LEDs. Looks like Thar is no longer written inside the tail-lights.
The tail-light led shape which was rectangular earlier will be changed to C-shape and light detailing also clearly visible in these new images.
Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-20231018_061707.jpg
Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-20231018_061344.jpg

Quote:
I may be wrong but I think the central hub portion of the stepney holder now has the rear camera as the rear bumper is exactly same and no provision for the camera has been seen.
The Camera provision in stepeny is now confirmed by these more clear shots.
Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-20231018_062000.jpg

Some more spy shots showing the proportions
Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-20231018_061223.jpg
Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-20231018_061234.jpg

Last edited by Vid6639 : 18th October 2023 at 09:01. Reason: Pls. format your posts for better visibility.
GtRao is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 19th October 2023, 02:00   #459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The rear disc brakes are now confirmed in these more clear images.
Hope it gets the Watts linkage at the rear suspension, and FSD suspension if its not too much to ask (atleast in the Top variants)

Quote:
Some more spy shots showing the proportions
It looks wider than the 3 door version. Perhaps its as wide as the ScorpioN.

Afterall its a ScorpioN underneath in Thar clothing

Last edited by for_cars1 : 19th October 2023 at 02:05.
for_cars1 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 14:55   #460
BHPian

I really like the newer grille. Like what Tata did for Harrier & Safari - I hope there would be distinguishable characters on the front and the rear.

I somehow do not see anything beyond the LED strip along the rear lights that makes it different (from rear).

On another note: Has anyone felt that Thar's lighting is inadequate? Will a dual headlamp - one for low & one for high beam make way?
Old 20th October 2023, 19:26   #461
BHPian

Anyone here in this forum who has driven both the new Scorpio N and the current Thar? What is the difference like?

Since the 5 door version is supposed to be on the Scorpio N platform, I am curious to know how different it is.

And.. in terms of looks and convenience - what’s that one thing which will bring this close to the Wrangler?
sheelapratosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 19:35   #462
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra Thar 5-door launch expected in Mid 2024.

Engine options : 2.0-litre turbo petrol, 2.2-litre diesel

Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-smartselect_20231020193447_chrome.jpg

Source
Venkatesh is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th October 2023, 19:48   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Mahindra Thar 5-door launch expected in Mid 2024.

Engine options : 2.0-litre turbo petrol, 2.2-litre diesel

Attachment 2519411

Source

Going by history of THAR launches, it might be on Republic Day.
VRSriram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 14:34   #464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelapratosh View Post
Anyone here in this forum who has driven both the new Scorpio N and the current Thar? What is the difference like?

Since the 5 door version is supposed to be on the Scorpio N platform, I am curious to know how different it is.

And.. in terms of looks and convenience - what’s that one thing which will bring this close to the Wrangler?
The Scorpio is more comfortable because it is a longer chassis and has an on road bias with significant off road ability. It also has a much lighter steering and excellent stopping power as well. Thats a real highway cruiser and tourer and mile muncher. The Thar 3 door is more of an off roader and weekender lifestyle vehicle though I personally use it as my Tourer. It is bumpy because it has a short chassis. Its chassis, suspension tune and dampers etc are configured to take solid abuse and unfortunately this translated into pitching and swaying and nose diving under braking in the early Thar's; which is also why many of us upgraded the suspension.

Yet, saying all this, my friend was here from the US last year in June and we went to Bheemeshwari in my Thar. He owns a Wrangler 2 door back in the US and he was totally amazed by my Thar and its comfort and feel which he said was much better than his Wrangler. Just last week, another friend from the US had visited. He also owns a 2 door Wrangler Rubicon back in the US. Even he echoed the exact same sentiments about smoothness and silence of my Thar’s engine, ride and overall comfort.

To me, the things that make my Thar look very like a Jeep are the boxy design which is a straight design appearance lift from the Wrangler. With the addition of the Jeep Wrangler styled grille it can very easily pass for a 2 door Wrangler Willys.

This is why I call my Thar jokingly as my WRONGLER.

The 5 Door Thar will be very like the Wrangler Unlimited. Definitely. But it is very likely to be a lot more comfortable.

I truly believe that the 5 door Thar is going to surprise even Mahindra with its positive reception once it launches. It will hit the ball so far out of the park that everyone will be amazed. This will be attributed simply because of those timeless looks, the boxy design, the solid improvements that Mahindra are doing on their engineering on an on going basis - continuous improvement and the immense practicality for a family, with the boot space and overall comfort and all.

The 5 door Thar will offer maybe 75% of the Wrangler Unlimited at maybe 25% of the price just the way the 3 door Thar does. It may even push Jeep completely out of the Indian market because it is only the very few well heeled persons, who will buy the Original Jeep. Most mass market consumers like us here, will be happy with our WRONGLERS.
I certainly am.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-img_4712.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 14:42   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
It may even push Jeep completely out of the Indian market because it is only the very few well heeled persons, who will buy the Original Jeep. Most mass market consumers like us here, will be happy with our WRONGLERS.
I certainly am.
Thank you for the detailed response. Well drafted. Also gives me the context. I own a Compass 4x4 - because I couldn’t afford a Wrangler. Guess Wrangler it is for me then. Just the waiting is painful. 2024 they say - not sure if it’s the start or end of 2024.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd October 2023 at 18:48. Reason: Very minor formatting edit & typo.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks