Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2024, 12:14   #1606
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar

Does anyone else feel the the entire GTM approach to the Thar ROXX had a 'wannabe' a flavour to it? Don't get me wrong, because I really loved the car as it is a complete package of practicality, comfort, and looks. However, I think Mahindra Marketing and Pratap Bose are trying too hard with this one.

1. Enough has been discussed about the name 'ROXX', so I will not say much. But, who names a 25L car as ROXX? Certainly, the group that can afford a 25L car wouldn't appreciate the 'ROXX' badge, and the group that appreciates 'ROXX' will be only able to buy this car in 5 years once they graduate from college!

2. What's with the overuse of the 'Hand-horns' gesture?! I listen to all kinds of rock music, but I would never go out in public doing the rock-n-roll salute, thinking it is cool and young! The teaser videos had the hand gesture printed on the trailer carrying the Thar, and one of the videos showed a guy putting both his hands out of the sun-roof doing the same gesture, the models sitting inside the car during the unveiling on 14th August were all doing the same thing. The cherry on the cake was Pratap Bose pointing out to John Abraham that the alloy wheel design is a basically five hands doing the 'hand-horn' gesture!

3. The entire 'impromptu' discussion with John Abraham! Honestly, I think it was cringe! Points to Mahindra for attempting something different instead of a boring presentation, but I think the audience eagerly waiting for the launch of the car preferred a straightforward presentation minus all the 'oh, I want to buy the car' act by John Abraham.

Overall, I think the Marketing and design folks at Mahindra seem to be having some sort of mid-life crisis, and they're assuming that everyone else in the world is thinking/feeling the same way! They went overboard with the 'Big-daddy' nomenclature with the Scorpio-N launch, and now, this.

PS: I will still probably book the Thar anyway, but that was my rant.
nTorq is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 12:25   #1607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajaar View Post

Also, is this like the final final nail in the coffin for the Jimny?
The funeral pyre for the thought that maruti considered Jimny as a Thar rival is over, last 14 months has ceremoniously put an end to such thoughts. The Thar is leagues above in every parameter, safety, performance, comfort.... except for ease of parking.

The Jimny in India needs to be priced and packaged much lower and still has a role as an affordable utilitarian small car in India, I believe. This is exactly how it's sold abroad, a very cheap little SUV.

Case study: Remember how the humble Suzuki Carry was launched as a premium van by Maruti, the whole Versa campaign with Amitabh Bachan 2+ decades ago. That flopped and the van was repackaged as the cheap and cheerful Eeco.

The Jimny still has potential albeit at a much lower price and an Indian army order helping build volumes.
shortbread is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 12:29   #1608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
The funeral pyre for the thought that maruti considered Jimny as a Thar rival is over, last 14 months has ceremoniously put an end to such thoughts. The Thar is leagues above in every parameter, safety, performance, comfort.... except for ease of parking.

The Jimny in India needs to be priced and packaged much lower and still has a role as an affordable utilitarian small car in India, I believe. This is exactly how it's sold abroad, a very cheap little SUV.

Case study: Remember how the humble Suzuki Carry was launched as a premium van by Maruti, the whole Versa campaign with Amitabh Bachan 2+ decades ago. That flopped and the van was repackaged as the cheap and cheerful Eeco.

The Jimny still has potential albeit at a much lower price and an Indian army order helping build volumes.
Yes. I loved the Jimny when we took a test ride but my wife didn't want it as her car. India needs small, capable cars and the Jimny is one. Like everyone says, it should have been priced half of what it is now. I really hope Mahindra don't stop selling the 3 door Thar since the last thing we need are wild yuppies in a bigger vehicle. Plus, the 3 door is better for city driving/offroading.
hajaar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 12:53   #1609
BHPian

After having to add all the aftermarket creature comfort to my 3 Door Thar, MX1 looks pretty feature loaded to me
After going through the brochure I was like - rear split seat and ac vents, airbags, push start stop?! SOLD!
vellatechie is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 13:05   #1610
BHPian

Many already shared different masking options, here's one more with all black roofing.

Stickering guys will end up with brisk business!

Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-thar_dual.jpg

For lighter tones, dual shade with black top looks good IMHO.
Nempuguru is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 13:08   #1611
Distinguished - BHPian

Closer look at the ROXX in Burnt Sienna color.

Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-fb_img_1723740412577.jpg

Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-fb_img_1723740414707.jpg

Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-fb_img_1723740416809.jpg

Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-fb_img_1723740418898.jpg

Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-fb_img_1723740420930.jpg

Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-fb_img_1723740422903.jpg

Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-fb_img_1723740425126.jpg

Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-fb_img_1723740427171.jpg

Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-fb_img_1723740429243.jpg

Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-fb_img_1723740431494.jpg

Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-fb_img_1723740436047.jpg

Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-fb_img_1723740433732.jpg

Source : PowerDrift
Venkatesh is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 13:41   #1612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nempuguru View Post
Many already shared different masking options, here's one more with all black roofing.

Stickering guys will end up with brisk business!

Attachment 2642465

For lighter tones, dual shade with black top looks good IMHO.
Can you make a completely white one please, without the matte-black top. That would give an idea of how Thar Roxx would look like in a G-wagon like colour scheme.
anup_av is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 14:07   #1613
BHPian

Folks.. Did anyone of you come across the pictures of the seats/interior of MX1 and MX3? Somehow I couldn’t locate these pics anywhere..
sheelapratosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 14:21   #1614
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Pricing , features, bookings and delivery!
What is commendable about M&M is that when they talk of the platform or product in their launch, they talk about the hard core engineering, functional utility and features. Not superfluous nonsense like how the lines 'flow', how the curves 'blend', how some glossy applique somewhere gives the vehicle 'character' etc. I am happy to see that Pratap Bose is kept in the background and a hardcore techie like Velusamy is at the forefront.
srh is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 14:59   #1615
Senior - BHPian

I really, really like this 5 door, think it looks very good. This will cater to a lot of people who don’t want the Thar for going off road, it will be for usage on our non existent city roads with the petrol 2 wheel drive.

With the convenience of 5 doors, rugged looks and go anywhere capability it offers peace of mind for speed breakers, rains and floods (reasonable) with a fully laden vehicle for people who like the looks and don’t want a Creta or Seltos.

I understand these are different segments etc etc but I am looking at it with different eyes which suit my purpose. A test drive will ascertain all of the above, look forward to that.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 15:09   #1616
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelapratosh View Post
Folks.. Did anyone of you come across the pictures of the seats/interior of MX1 and MX3? Somehow I couldn’t locate these pics anywhere..
Here You go, a slight difference in fabric design between MX1 and MX3 variants.

Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-mx1interiors.jpg
Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-mx3interior.jpg

You could explore the interiors from the Mahindra website, 360 deg view.
Rocky_Balboa is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 15:13   #1617

I am adding one from my end.. Inspired by defender side box and 5 spoke alloy wheel. This can be tried on a base variant.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar Roxx is the official name of the 5-door Thar-roxx-rendered.jpg  

Zach_Renji is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 15:25   #1618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach_Renji View Post
I am adding one from my end.. Inspired by defender side box and 5 spoke alloy wheel. This can be tried on a base variant.
This is incredible! If this could be done, the macho looks of Thar could be contained & whatever bit of ugliness they brought-in, could simply be masked. Waiting for more such suggestions from you!
Old 16th August 2024, 15:39   #1619
BHPian

Wow this is what rocks -

108 pages - so many comments

But no one bothers "kitna deti hai ?" or whats the mileage ?

This shows that with the right price and product, people easily overlook or not hindered by a couple of points, when everything else Roxx.

All of a sudden entire traffic is on this thread and other pages including Curvv, Basalt have gone silent.
This is the power of this launch, it made other launches obsolete already.

Last edited by xway : 16th August 2024 at 15:45. Reason: spelling
xway is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th August 2024, 15:51   #1620
BHPian

Diesel MT 4X4 has lower power/torque compared to AT 4X4 and has same power/torque as Diesel MT RWD. Is this typo in brochure since it 4X4 MT should be given same tune as AT and in order to compensate for additional weight. Is this typo in brochure?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks