Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Reliability of Tata Safari / Harrier, should you buy one?
Cars are completely reliable! 27 9.93%
Minor niggles but overall it's a great car 75 27.57%
Cars are great but service ruins the overall experience 75 27.57%
Safari / Harrier are a BIG NO! 95 34.93%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2024, 12:25   #61
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari & Harrier twins | Real life reliability?

Voted "minor niggles..."

Purely from a personal POV (with a caveat I haven't owned a Safari/Harrier), would say both the Indian auto majors Tata & Mahindra are doing quite well in bringing out competent products to suit current times.

My garage has a Mahindra (XUV5OO - 2018), a Tata (Nano - 2015) and a Bajaj (Caliber - 2000); so feel I'm somewhat qualified to comment! None of my vehicles have given me headaches/surprises (touchwood!), and they never see the workshop except for yearly service.

Relying purely on T-BHP posts, would seem both the Indian biggies have certainly QA/QC issues, with a slight advantage Mahindra.
7OO when launched had its own niggles, as did Safari. But it would seem Mahindra quickly got them under control whereas Tata is yet to catch up. Plus, going by the horror stories like this one (My brand-new Tata Safari has been fully disassembled | EDIT: Dealer offers full refund!) (notwithstanding the fact Mahindra products have put their respective owners in trouble too), would seem Tata products are more of a hit-or-miss than Mahindra's.

But from a looks department, I'd certainly vote Tata above Mahindra - their products look handsome than latter! If only both would go paranoically obsessed with their QA/QC/service teams just like Toyota does, these cars could compete internationally as well!
KrisTvpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2024, 18:08   #62
BHPian

With all the advanced technologies and electronics, also lots of plastic and fiber parts embedded in mechanical and electricals components, failure rates have increased. Complexities in assembling such parts that needs computer inputs are causing parts of fail. Also technicians with know-how and troubleshoot recognition needs to be perfect and on his toes to pickup signals of impending failure to address the issue before hand. Both the Indian manufacturers are overloading their factory and service centre technicians who overlook these issues as they have to assemble or service their alloted cars in limited time causing the poor quality control issues. They should develop a mechanism where 'chalta hai' attitude needs to be curtailed and responsibilities enhanced.
Old 25th July 2024, 18:28   #63
Senior - BHPian

I purchased my Facelift Safari Accomplished Plus on January 31st this year and experience wise car is quite comfortable and responsive. Being Tata, I knew there will be slight niggles but overall it is excellent experience.

I am listing down all niggles faced during my ownership of 6 months.

1. When I got car, I had software version 14.08. In this version, I faced issues like, some of the display items in console used to disappear like indicator in dashboard, parking brake display etc. It happened twice, after I reported the issue to service center they upgraded software to 14.12 and the problem never appeared.

2. Missing LED in Front DRL : One LED in front center DRL was fused. I observed it while standing atleast 5 meter away from car. I reported to service center and it was replaced in warranty.

3. Cracked housing of Back DRL: It was not there since beginning but I observed it when I went to collect car after first service. Probably something happened during service. Later they replaced it in warranty.

4. MOST Annoying: Intermittently the passenger side AC vent blowing hot air. Gave car once for diagnosis, they kept it for 4 days but problem was not solved. Gave it again with escalation and they solved the issue in few hours. One Blend Door Actuator was faulty and they replaced it in warranty and issue got resolved.
anujmishra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2024, 18:58   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE40 in veins View Post
It is quite possible that half of the replaced parts may not be defective at all. Sometimes parts are changed by the service centres due to wrong diagnosis of the issue and this practice is more rampant with Tata service centers. Owners usually do not question this as they get the new parts under warranty. When the service cost is borne by the owner, such practices put a lot of strain on your pockets.
In the Mk1 harrier that my friend has as well as the 2021 Safari that we have in the family there is considerable noise from the drive belt system, you can hear the whine around the 30K mark, along with this we have more pronounced knocking noise of the diesel, the crank case noise and overall NVH levels have gone up. Remember this version has Hydraulic power steering, so when there is steering effort, noise goes up too.

If these things are beyond bearable, a lot of parts from power steering pump, the whole pulley system, fuel pump and many other things will need to be replaced.

Hope things are better with the newer models post the facelift.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2024, 20:08   #65
BHPian

Let me break the suspense: the reason behind starting this thread.

I'm a Tata fan just for one reason - high VFM quotient their cars offer.
I have owned Nano - Nexon P -- Nexon D -- now Altroz D.
Yes.. I Don't own Harrier / Safari.

But I buy cars (suggest, bargain, deal with everything) for my cousin to whom I suggested multiple cars in the past including a Wagon R, Punto D, Ciaz D and Nov 2022 Harrier XT+ Manual.

He was absolutely happy with the car for first 1.5 years.
Then horror stories started and he faced three break-downs / issue which left him stranded in middle of the road:
1. Engine Mount failure (in warranty)
2. Clutch assembly + Actuator master cylinder failure
3. Wiring harness breakage.

Won't dive into details as it will be a VERY LONG post.
But getting stranded in the middle of the road thrice in a year was enough (understandably) for him to loose the confidence and give up on the car so soon in the ownership journey.

I know the facelift Harrier and Safari and superior to XUV 700 but I can't dare to force him buy either of these Tatas now.

Hope I am 'eligible' enough to contribute here in this forum
DriveOnceMore is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks