Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2024, 18:52   #31
BHPian

Re: Cars you think are worthy of making a comeback in India

The Ambassador car would certainly be interesting to relaunch again. It was the most popular car in India for almost 50 years until 2014. During this time, Ambassador was revised six times, with six generations: Mark-1, Mark-2, Mark III, Mark IV, Nova, and Avigo.

In the early versions, the car had a comfortable, sofa-like seat in the front that could accommodate three people. Because of its spacious interiors, it could easily accommodate more than five passengers. It was appreciated for its durability and comfortable ride. It required very low-cost maintenance because of its basic spare parts, which could be repaired even in a small workshop on the roadside back then.

In the 1980s, Ambassador cars used to sell 6,000 units in a month. Just imagine the level of popularity it enjoyed, with very few options for auto loans or any other form of finance back then. Ambassador cars ruled the Indian car market in the 1970s and 1980s. However, post-launch of the Maruti 800, the car started seeing a decline in sales.

In 2003, the Ambassador received a significant blow. Then-Prime Minister Atal Bihari Bajpai chose to trade up his Ambassador car for a BMW, which was equipped with better security features.

Later on, the yellow taxis started getting stiffer competition with the launch of the Maruti Suzuki Dezire and Tata Indigo. Finally, in 2013, Hindustan Motors introduced its final model of Ambassador, and in 2014, it discontinued production.

The Elegangt Black Ambassador

Cars you think are worthy of making a comeback in India-ambassador1.jpg

Cars you think are worthy of making a comeback in India-ambassador2.jpg

Ambassador was known as the "King of Indian roads" ,manufactured by Hindustan Motors, was the number-one choice for Indians.

Cars you think are worthy of making a comeback in India-ambassador4.jpg

Cars you think are worthy of making a comeback in India-ambassador5.jpg

The Classic Dashboard of Ambassador, which continues to live in our memories

Cars you think are worthy of making a comeback in India-ambassador6.jpg

The ambassador car features a reliable engine that requires relatively little maintenance.

Cars you think are worthy of making a comeback in India-ambassador7.jpg

Cars you think are worthy of making a comeback in India-ambassador9.jpg

Renowned Amul commercial, "The Pride of India : AMBAS- SARDDER”

Cars you think are worthy of making a comeback in India-ambassador8.jpg
inner_roadster is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th July 2024, 18:52   #32
BHPian

Here goes my list starting with hatchbacks ( VW Polo, Fiat Punto and Honda Jazz)
Sedans( Honda Civic, Honda Accord, Toyota Corolla, Hyundai Sonata, VW Jetta, VW Passat,
Skoda Octavia and Fiat Linea)
Coming to SUV's and I mean real BOF SUV's ( Mitsubishi, Pajero, Ford Endeavour,)
visionrider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2024, 19:53   #33
BHPian

I would love the following cars to make a comeback

SUV: Endeavour, Pajero, Montero and Hexa
Sedan: Civic, Jetta, Accord and Passat
Hatchback: Polo, Jazz and Punto.
LMOO2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2024, 20:08   #34
BHPian

mmm no love for the only real pony sold here? 'Tang!
Also while we are at it, f-type, XJ and in fact the whole Jaguar X-line sedans are going to be sadly missed (even if, just by me, thats absolutely fine too!)
Tutenkhamen is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th July 2024, 20:09   #35
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Tata Nano - A nice thought, marred by poor sales, safety issues and "cheap" image

Ambassador - No one can forget the design of this iconic sedan. MK4 had quality issues though. If it came back with better quality, features and that same amazing back seat, I'm sure it would sell in good numbers (come ON Stellantis! This could be your big break!)

Skoda Octavia (VRS especially) These days, Skoda is notorious for messing up the prices of cars. However, if the Octy came back with a better price tag and the new VRS version, it would be amazing.

VW Polo - The Polo was a stylish and good quality hatchback with sorted driving dynamics. However, the sub 4m rule would definitely shoot the price through the roof.

This most likely would not happen, but a guy can dream...
JunkyardHunter is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th July 2024, 21:22   #36

Honda Brio with City's 1.5 litre engine, with a re-designed rear for better boot space. It will be an absolute hot hatch giving good competition to the NLine and Racer.
bharadhaaa is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 18th July 2024, 22:07   #37

I would definitely love if some models make a comeback...
Hatchbacks : vw polo, honda jazz
SUVs : Mitsubishi pajero sports / montero, Toyota Prado
Fizleo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2024, 22:44   #38
BHPian

I would like A-Star to be resold again, the one I own is nearly at the end of its life span and I feel I'm going to miss it once it's sold. The advantage of A Star is that it's not a common car and even though it's in the same range as Wagon R and Alto K10 people perceive it to be a premium car.
Ranabegins is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2024, 00:09   #39
BHPian

Ford Endeavor, Pajero – There should be an end to the monopoly of Fortuner
Tata Safari - The Ladder Framed car, but updated - Not the Harrier derived car
Tata Sierra – In ICE form – Modernized, but keep the iconic curved glass (Something like how the Defender came back in new avatar)
Renault Duster – I still have one and I do not see a replacement for it in the current market.
Hindustan Contessa in updated form, but keep it as RWD
Tata Nano – The tag name “Nano” is already damaged by its advertisement, give it a new name
Tata Hexa – We need a competitor for Innova

Last edited by arunrajk81 : 19th July 2024 at 00:15. Reason: rwd, defender
arunrajk81 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th July 2024, 00:44   #40
BHPian

It has to be these cars for me.
Mitsubushi Evo X - How I pleaded my family to get one, it was the OG fast performance oriented sedan it was just crisp and precise from every angle. You wanted something fast and accurate to put the tracks on fire Evo X would do it, you wanted to tune something to smoke super cars well Evo had your back, put a turbo in tune it and let it lose, need to drop your kids to school just look your red hot family sedan is waiting for you.

Mitsubushi Pajero - An all time favourite SUV with bulletproof reliability it had the looks and the stance to dominate our roads, it wasn’t a pretentious SUV like the ones we have today which are over priced and doesn’t do what they are intended for. The Pajero was an all rounder throw it in muddy tracks, non existent roads and it had your back.

Ford Endeavour- The absolute best SUV in its price range the 3.2L 5 cylinder engine is a beast , it killed me when Ford decided to exit India.
The new model is leap and bounds ahead if only Ford comes backs and launches it.

Contesa- The Indian muscle car, someone needs to buy the patents modernise it a bit put some latest teach in and a big fat V6 that would a car to behold and would love to have one.
Rajjaiswal92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2024, 15:59   #41

Opel Corsa 1.6:
It was an old school 1589CC engine producing 93PS of BHP and the 126NM of torque. These figures would never wow anyone in today’s standards, but I assure you that a well maintained Corsa would bring more happiness and smiles in one’s face than a current gen 1.6 litre counterpart. I would definitely want Corsa to comeback having the same DNA but with modern creature comforts. Ofcourse car in this pic was my very first car and I am still in love with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Cars you think are worthy of making a comeback in India-corsa.jpg  

SideSwipe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2024, 18:01   #42
BHPian

For me, it has to be the following cars:

1. Ford Figo Diesel, albeit with the 1st gen design and the 1.5D engine from the later generation. To me the true definition of a pocket rocket.
2. Ford Endeavour - 3.2L Diesel. Much much better than the Fortuner, and will help prevent the Fortuner prices from hitting 1 crore.
3. Ford Fiesta 1.6S :- For that stonker of an engine and that riot of a package that it was.
4. Maruti S-Cross with the 1.6L DDIS engine:- Absolute sleeper.
5. Chevrolet Cruze with the 2.0L Diesel Engine - Could give the bigger and more expensive cars a run for their money.
6. Honda Jazz, but with the 1.5L IVtec engine from City.
7. Mitsubishi Lancer - For that drool worthy timeless looks and for the rally pedigree. One of my all-time favorites, preferably with petrol mills.
8. Mitsubishi Pajero with those brilliant dual tone shades.
9. VW Polo with their explosive TSI and TDI engines.
10. The OG Toyota Corolla.

Cheers,
NI
ss11011988 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2024, 18:17   #43
BHPian

I would love to see the below cars:
1. TATA Nano and Honda Brio in EV versions.
2. Figo and Endeavour from Ford.
3. S-Cross with Hybrid and AWD from Maruti Suzuki. They can do this but they tend to get too greedy with pricing as we have seen with S-Cross 1.6 and Jimny.
4. Honda Jazz
xenon0025 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2024, 18:54   #44
BHPian

Considering the interest in these cars right now, these cars should make a comeback in India:
1. Tata Nano EV (Jayem Neo)
2. Mahindra E2O Plus

Compact EV's were very successful in markets like China. I believe there is still market for auch cars in India. These two cars were launched ahead of their time.
Joe367 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2024, 19:07   #45
BHPian

My list would include below but in 2024 avatar.
● Ecosport
● Endeavour
● Civic
● Vectra
● T-Roc
● Lancer
● Duster
● Mondeo
● Nano
DivyanshuDiv is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com